Cathcart Circle Time Period. Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ralphy_porter2000, Feb 23, 2021.

1. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I hope it comes with something else, Glasgow Central is going to look barren with just a few 314’s serving it.

• Like Like x 4
  2. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

Out of all the wonderful routes like the Wales railways lines, Riviera line, ECML, WCML, Paddington to Bristol, Plymouth to Penzance that they COULD have chosen, we get this? More boring electric rolling stock too I’d imagine. Not pleased!

• Like Like x 2
  3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I don't know the area at all. I would have thought Edinburgh to Glasgow would have been the obvious choice. If you could name five Scottish routes would this be one of them?

Can anyone local or who knows the area elaborate on what the routes stand out features are, it just seems an odd choice?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I actually would despite not knowing the area :D because I've researched it. Honestly, I think it'll be because it's a small, easy and relatively interesting (I think) route for them to do plus it has a 314 which is similar to the 313.
    My five, for anyone interested:
    - Falkirk Line
    - Shotts Line
    - West Highland Line
    - Far North Line
    - Southern Glasgow Metro routes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

I think it’s a pretty well known line considering the “Circle” aspect of it. It would have been the one I’d have least expected DTG to do, however.

I think going off Top 5 Scottish routes, I would have included it along with;

Edinburgh-Glasgow
    Fife Circle
    West Highland Mainline
    Kyle Line

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

So, Sam said the line will come with the 314 and be during the First ScotRail era rather than the subsequent Abellio ScotRail era which continues to this day.

This means that the route is set somewhere between October 2004 and March 2015, when First Group had the ScotRail franchise.

The 314 is therefore a given. The route also saw the 318 and 334 units (though these were relatively rare and probably unlikely candidates to appear in game). The 320 was introduced from December 2016, so possibly too late for the era of the route in game. The 380 was introduced in 2010 so could be a valid candidate for the game.

All this info taken from Wikipedia, so probably incorrect lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  7. Shaun123

It would be set post-2011 because of the era codes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Agreed it is an odd choice considering everytime I’ve seen Scotland mentioned this route has never come up.

One thing it has going for it at least is the rolling stock options, we know one is the 314 which is a bit of a let down, we don’t know if it will have another unit, but hopefully it will.

Going forward this DLC should form a good base for layers with other modern ScotRail DLC, however it is a shame that we’re getting yet another modern electric DLC, I was hoping for some modern diesels, even in Scotland we could of had Turbostars & 68’s.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I hope it includes the Neilston and Newton lines. The Neilston line is self contained and would make a nice terminal/turnaround stop like Seaford on ECW - although it’s more like Harrow & Wealdstone on BKL, using a turn back or reversing siding.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

However, Sam, not all buyers or potential buyers are restricted to their own country's routes, or vice-versa. I can hardly be the only Anglophone who can't get enough of German routes- I doubt that all or even most of your customer base for German content lives in Germany.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  11. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Just curious but did anyone actually mention or suggest this line on the forums suggestions? I’ve never heard of it until now and I don’t recall seeing it mentioned in these forums previously?

Seems like an odd choice given this is their first Scottish route. I would’ve thought they’d choose a line which is a bit more well know, such as Edinburgh to Glasgow via Falkirk High.

• Like Like x 7
  12. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Yes, the line was suggested by a few different users.

Odd, perhaps, but it has been well-received.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  13. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

The more I read about this route, it looks interesting thought I hope we see the full circle and not just one route.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’d never heard of this route, but some quick research has me very interested in it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I will likely get it, personally I prefer the class 314 over the later units but that is just my preference. I would have preferred a class 303 even more but being as DTG seem to have a blind spot when producing first generation multiple units that would have been an unlikely choice!

• Like Like x 2
  16. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

As a Belgian i like that we are getting Glasgow Central. Big fan of "inside central station" on TV.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I guess the 314 and 380 look cool from the outside, but I'm not too fond of those tiny front windows. It's one of the major things I dislike about the 377 on ECW.

So, I'm hoping for a 334 or 320 for this route since they have a little bigger front window, and thus allow you to see more of the route and enjoy the view considerably better.

Not sure how limited the view would be from within a 318.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hypz

Hypz Active Member

Which class 314 Livery are we getting? This one below or
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] this one here

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Sam said it was blue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. Hypz

Hypz Active Member

Yeah, i know but i got confused some people saying different things (or it might be me)

• Like Like x 2
  21. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Probably just the blue, unless they offer both. The older livery will be pretty easy to make in the designer anyway so if we don't get it, it won't be a big deal imo.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I really hope the DLC comes with a second EMU in the form of the 380 or 385. If that is the case, I personally could see myself buying the DLC, but if it comes with the 314 and maybe another re-skinned 66 I would not go for it.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Hypz

Hypz Active Member

Yeah i dont mind either way so...

24. Hypz

Hypz Active Member

I hope so too it might get a bit boring with the one loco

• Like Like x 2
  25. ScottDarg

ScottDarg Member

For the sake of accuracy I'd hope for both as both liveries were present right up to withdrawal.

Out of the 16 units only 5 received the Saltire livery. The rest remained in SPT Carmine & Cream up to the point that they were cut up.

DTG Protagonist Are you able to say if it's likely that we'll see both liveries given that a minority of the units were put into Saltire blue? The only ones that were ever painted blue were 314203, 204, 208, 211 and 212

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

If that's the case I find that to be pretty neat, considering I don't believe there was even a First ScotRail route in TS Classic, just the later Abellio's, very odd to see a "old" UK franchise.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Clumsy Pacer

I think the 314 will be in Saltire livery without any operators' logos on the doors (note they didn't say it was First ScotRail either - just "ScotRail, not Abellio") - I believe they're seperate licenses (ScotRail through Transport Scotland and Abellio/First through Abellio or First), and I think Transport Scotland will be keen for things to be in the new Saltire livery. Could be wrong though.

• Like Like x 3
  28. Hypz

Hypz Active Member

Yes, its basically the same liveries but the Abellio logo on the doors its a suttle difference.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Clumsy Pacer

This is their first Scottish route. While, yes, they're fairly similar to English routes (Scotland is part of the UK still), I think it's less about doing a very well known route and more something that can provide a good base for Scottish routes that's potentially rather interesting, realtively easy to make (it's fairly short) and, most importantly, is NOT on Steam for TS1.

• Like Like x 1
  30. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It's still a fairly short route compared to (say) the Glasgow north route for TS or the bits and pieces around south Glasgow in WCML North.

314 a better choice for my era of trains than icky plastic things, though I would have preferred a 303/311... :)

• Like Like x 4
  31. pendolino18

pendolino18 Active Member

Just to be 100% here and only confirming what was said on the stream.

1. It's set 2011 onwards
    2. The routes comes out with the 314. (No other units or addons have yet been discussed)
    3. The 314 will wear Scotrail Blue livery but not the Abellio blue.
    4. Gonna take a guess here but it will probably be a recycled version on the ECW 313.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

If recycling the 313 makes it quicker and easier to make the 314, I don’t mind. The 314 will be different in that it’ll have a pantograph. I just hope it looks and sounds amazing.

• Like Like x 3
  33. Clumsy Pacer

313s have Pantographs. The main difference is 314s can't run on 3rd rail systems. 313s are therefore effectively a dual voltage 314, since it can operate on 25kV AC Overhead and 750V DC 3rd rail electrification.

• Like Like x 2
  34. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

A SN 313 for East Coastway (i.e. what we're getting) won't have a pantograph. There's more differences between the two classes than you'd expect, especially in the respective states for the TSW versions.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. Shaun123

Literally, no difference, apart from the stickers on the doors!

• Like Like x 5
  36. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

Getting closer to release and they still haven’t said about a second loco :(

• Like Like x 2
  37. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Yeah looks like it will only come with the 314... At this point, since it is in upcoming already, I would expect no additional train. Guess we will have to wait until the first streams of that route for confirmation.

• Like Like x 4
  38. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Don’t be greedy. The route comes with a new train to drive. Lots of other routes only come with one train, it’s not like we are being deprived of anything.

• Like Like x 1
  39. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

It’s pretty awful the year.
    I want only the Class 380 and 385.

• Like Like x 3
  40. Yoinkermcskoinker

So what you’re saying paying £25 for an 8 mile long route and only 1 loco is justified

You got me there, it’s not like this train is going appear on any other routes

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  41. mrcharliemiggins2.0

mrcharliemiggins2.0 Well-Known Member

If its just the loop around Cathcart which is about 8 miles then it'll probably be £20
    The Neilston and Newton branches of this route are also likely to be included bringing total route miles to 19 miles, then it'll be £25
    Glasgow - Newton 34m
    Glasgow - Neilston 30m
    Glasgow - Cathcart 16m/14m
    So JUST Glasgow - Cathcart would be incredibly short.

• Like Like x 2
  42. londonmidland

Looks like Glasgow Central is going to feel extremely dead and nothing like this then

upload_2021-5-9_12-29-44.png

• Like Like x 5
  43. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

There’s little to no chance that Cathcart is getting more than the 314, it’s reached testing and still nothing other than the 314 is listed, so that says it all really.

As for the ‘greediness’ of people asking for more than a 314, it’s not as much about getting more new trains as it is the feeling of the route is going to be deserted.

DTG should of done Cathcart after another ScotRail/XC/Avanti route in order to make at least AI available in Glasgow, there’s going to be nothing Authentic about rolling into Glasgow Central and it being deserted.

• Like Like x 4
  44. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t know where this idea the route is going to be that short comes from. Anyway, only the person buying something can decide if paying x amount for something is justified but DTG can offer the route, however long and with however many trains, for sale at any price they see fit.

• Like Like x 2
  45. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Although the 313 and 314 share many similarities, so it won't be an entirely new train (unless of course this comes out before the 313).

• Like Like x 4
  46. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I still don't understand why every UK route has to be DMU/EMU these days. They look so generic. It gets a little tedious. No loco hauled passenger, no freight. And Scotland is a big, beautiful country, but we won't see any of it in this route, it could be around any large city. I guess I'll have to keep playing NTP and TVL for my Britfix. I'll likely buy it, I have all TSW2 routes. But once around the Circle might be enough for me. Perhaps the Cornish route, when it arrives, might be more interesting, perhaps with a real locomotive?
    Sorry to sound so negative. Just my take.

• Like Like x 4
  47. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

That's the problem with the modern UK route IRL....... plastic rubbish! We've not got much loco services around anymore :(

At least Chester will be getting one or two extra 67+DVT+MK4 stock (from LNER) and I can also get my loco fix on the Lime St to Scarborough TPE service in real life. Would of loved East Midlands to have to a few HST's for the Lime St - Norwich service and Cross Country to have got a few HST's on a Manchester service instead of the Voyagers, but hey ho, going off topic now.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  48. londonmidland

The most frustrating thing is that of all the Scottish routes DTG can choose, they chose this one with a massive and popular terminus, renown for its amount of trains.

With only the 314 provided, this probably means that more than half of the station will go unused and look extremely quiet.

They clearly knew all of these obstacles and drawbacks when considering the route, so why on earth did they decide to go ahead when they knew it would involve Glasgow Central? Sometimes it seems logic and DTG aren’t a good match for each other.

• Like Like x 9
  49. Yoinkermcskoinker

I’m just hoping that they let us use most of the platforms on scenario planner so we can make it better ourselves

50. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

I have seen the Glasgow "clockwork orange" suggested, and the Newcastle Metro. Thank the dev gods they didn't get listened to!

• Like Like x 2