Colonel Failure Dtg Protagionist

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by driverwoods#1787, May 6, 2021.

1. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Who here has seen Sam Yonder Colonel's personal channel? one of these is a Tram Sim gameplay made by aerosoft. In the forums, he's DTG Protagonist. My favorite video from Sam's personal YouTube channel is him maxing out BR Class 101 DMU found on Northern Transpennine Manchester to Leeds via Huddersfield standedge tunnel and Tees Valley Line on LGV Avignon-Marseille
    Videos

Tram Sim

LGV Mediterranean Avignon-Marsellie BR Class 101

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

I was really surprised when I realized that Sam was Colonel Failure. YouTube had already offered me videos of him a few times before, at some point I just looked into a video. I thought the voice was familiar, but I couldn't figure it out at first. Then I happened to see someone on stream chat who called Sam Colonel Failure. Mind blowing

• Like Like x 2
  3. driverwoods#1787

Me too since everyone here in TSW 2 & 2020 Community forums only know TrainSim Matt which is Matt's personal YouTube channel. Perhaps a member of the community should start making a post on which DTG employees have a personal YouTube channel. One more fun videos of Train simulator world 2 that Sam Colonel Failure has is trying to speed up on Arosa Line.

• Like Like x 1
  4. edward.gregg

edward.gregg Active Member

Awww now they are entitled to have views away from work. Its like outing a deviant and now wanting them to do your wanting because you discovered them.

5. edward.gregg

To be fair you will have an issue over speeding the British Rail 101 up grade, but could do it very easily down grade. If you know what you are doing you can make any piece of motive power do what you want within reason. Its all about physics.

6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

While true, even on the steepest downgrade on the line Sam never got it above 145 km/h (90 mph). A mark easily shattered by a UP freight train!

• Like Like x 1
  7. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

As I was curious I tried the same run in the 101 again, this time taking it out of gear after hitting peak acceleration on the downhill (I was exploring whether the motor/gearing itself was slowing the train down) and the difference was negligible but slightly faster (maybe +5km/h).

The Arosa Line would support a higher speed due to the grade of slope were it not for the corners.

• Like Like x 7
  8. driverwoods#1787

Thank you for the Answer Sam and for the LGV Avignon-Marsellie why not try the HST Class 43 there

9. edward.gregg

The HST had an unofficial top speed of 140MPH I do believe but due to track and signalling restrictions it was kept at 125. And my experience of HSTs is it was a good idea too.

Did you also know the Pacer DMU Underframe was based on a Derby Technical Centre design for a highspeed goods wagon capable of 100mph. Travelling on a Pacer at 75mph is excitement enough :P

• Like Like x 1
  10. driverwoods#1787

There's no route for TSW2 that has pacers as standard even though its proposed for Tees Valley Line as a DLC or come with Penzance route. Thank you for telling me about it

• Like Like x 1
  11. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

The HSTs were always meant for 125mph, but some drivers broke the rules and drove them at 140mph quite often, but as safety concerns were raised, this stopped happening. The Class 91s were the other way around: they were always meant for 140mph use, but limited to 125mph in service because they'd need to install in-cab signalling to achieve the higher top speed. This never happened (likely due to the government not wanting to pay for it or because of privatisation), but some sections of the ECML are soon going to be upgraded for 140mph use. Whether they use TVM signalling or ECTS is a question I can't answer, as TVM is already used on HS1 and is in many ways a better, more reliable system, but ETCS is meant to be the EU standard - but we're not part of that anymore, so it's anyone's guess.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Hence why the 91s were called Intercity 225 (for 225km/h, conveniently/coincidentally 100 bigger than the 125mph of the HST)

• Like Like x 2
  13. edward.gregg

The HST was able to achieve 140mph But was governed down to 125mph for ride quality and signalling distance, and Union rules.

The Class 91 + Mk4s was designed to do a service speed of 140mph and did so on certain sections of the ECML under a flashing green aspect. It was soon dropped and they settled down to 125 max. As was equipping the Mk4s for tilt for future speed increase or use on the WCML.

• Like Like x 1
  14. edward.gregg

I hope the Cornwall route will have pacers and sprinters. It has to for the era :P

15. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

It's an official top speed, the HST holds the world speed record for a diesel hauled passenger train, which still stands at 144mph to this day. It was set on the ECML by British Rail in the 1980s in a pre-planned publicity blitz for the return of a luxury pullman service.

It achieved even higher, 148mph, when it was used for testing the Mk.IV carriages.

Take that TGV!

• Like Like x 3
  16. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

It's not really anyone's guess - official NR and DfT policy is to use ETCS.

• Like Like x 1
  17. raretrack

Indeed. In the 90s I used to marvel at some of the speeds clocked up by trams going over one of our HABDs!

18. solicitr

I'm pretty sure the only reason HS1 has TVM installed is because of Eurostar, which as a TGV uses it.

• Like Like x 2
  19. raretrack

It was largely to avoid reinventing the wheel. HS1 is essentially an LGV in all but name. The OLE is also classic LGV, as is the track. As LGV Nord and Eurotunnel were already using TVM it made eminent sense to extend it to London. Saved millions in costs and probably months in time.

• Like Like x 2
  20. driverwoods#1787

So it means the maximum speed with in cab signaling for HST Class 43 or without in can signaling with AWS TPWS is still 148 mph almost 150 mph (240 km/h). Which means once boston-providence gets the Acela Express then the HST and Acela can be used to race against each other or even better put it by maximum speed order between these three DB BR182 145 mph (230 km/h) followed by HST Class 43 and Acela Express both are capped at 148-150 mph (236-240 km/h). Thanks for the answer telling me what is the true maximum speed of the Great Western Main Line Class 43 HST. Need to use both tracks of LGV Mediterranean Line like what Sam Colonel failure did here with the Class 101 Daisy DMU if you want a Three way speed battle of Acela Express HST & DB BR182 or GWML.

21. solicitr

It's a matter for individual national regulators or railways to decide what the maximum safe speed for visual signalling in. In Britain it's 125; in Germany it's 100 (160 km/h). In the US it's also 125, in that Class 8 and 9 track must be equipped with ATCS or the equivalent.

-----------------
    The Acela is capable of 165, but held to 150 by track restrictions

• Like Like x 2
  22. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Not sure how threatened the TGV would have been at the time, considering a) it's electric, not diesel, and b) even the original TGV Sud-Est sets could do 160+mph

23. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

Of course, it was tongue in cheek.

But still worth considering that for 160mph+ SNCF built a dedicated network of high speed lines as well as spending a ton of money on the development of the TGV. In comparison the HST was developed in a relatively short period on a fraction of the budget and managed to break records on existing 19th century railway infrastructure.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  24. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

As a side note, is LGV the best choice for downhill assisted speed trials?

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  25. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I don't have it, but I've been using the approach to Ebbsfleet from London on SEHS for speed tests. I got up to 230mph in an ICE 3 in my testing.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  26. solicitr

Sand Patch Grade from the summit tunnel through Mance down to Hyndman isn't as steep, but it's very long.

27. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Personally I use NTP, specifically Standedge Tunnel to Stalybridge. Get a run up through the tunnel and it's all downhill till the power station!

• Like Like x 1
  28. edward.gregg

Id say no. The TGV routes are designed for speed. If you want to test the ability of motive power then the need gradients. But that depends on what your testing? NTP is the best From Huddersfield to Stalybridge.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  29. edward.gregg

Bloodyhell that news reader takes me back and the nakkers cutting the signal cables nothing changes :P

30. driverwoods#1787

For third rail trains I suggest the Long Island Railroad East River tunnel. The Maximum speed I reached there without LIRR M7 & M3 automatic speed control enabled is 65-80 mph (105-130 km/h) downhill.

31. trainsmad1812

trainsmad1812 New Member

hi Sam I was watching your long island rail road stream last night but there is no sound on you tube there was sound for the challenge before hand not sure where else to post this so I thought I would post this here hope you can let me know why there is no sound on the you tube part of the stream you did last night with Nat from Trainsmad1812 but my name really is Timothy PS I mean no sound after 1 hour and 27 mins and I have played the you tube video twice. hope that helps. hi Sam just to it looks like windows was the problem and not you tube my pc decided to up date my sound driver and messed up my speaker settings so sorry for troubling you.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  32. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Works fine for me.