Why Doesn't Rivet Games Release A Tree Drawdistance Mod For Pc On Arosalinie?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Cygnific, May 10, 2021.

1. Cygnific

Cygnific Well-Known Member

Since there is a very useful DLC mod folder on pc why can't they release a seperate mod to extend the draw distance? If there is a limitation for console why should pc owners get a worse version?

• Like Like x 1
  2. colinL

colinL Well-Known Member

Thats the problem with TSW2 I see in general. Not to hate on consoles or anything, but the problem is that the game has to be dumbed down all the time to run on consoles as well. In my opinion TSW2 has so much potential but its never gonna be realised because of that.

• Like Like x 9
  3. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

People have talked about dropping console support , however I think that idea is absolutely ludicrous . Perhaps in the future DTG could sell the PC version of the game to a well-known game development company , and then DTG just work on the console build . Controversial idea but something that may be considered in the distant future .

• Like Like x 1
  4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

It’s very simple why they won’t release the mod, they’re earning a few bob off the route still and can say “in development” until people forget whilst they feed spiel about Cornwall. They’re still not addressing iow.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  5. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

You say that but half the people I see streaming have worse settings on their PC than my PS5.

But moving on from that, there’s basically every other game to exist on both console & PC that run separate builds just fine for both platforms.

The book stops with DTG unwilling to run 2 builds, or at least optimising each individual build.

With RushHour and the next gen version release though it does look like we’re now on the road to DTG dropping the PS4/X1 build in the next couple of years, so hopefully with the performance gap closing, DTG will be willing to be more flexible with PC and Next Gen builds.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Cygnific

They dont have/need to drop support for old gen consoles, there are plenty of settings and options to make it work on them. I'm just bothered by the easy way out they took and downgrade PC also. Maybe it would have been better for DTG to use TS202* for old gen and TSW for new gen.

• Like Like x 2
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

TS20xx isn't available on console at all

8. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

The problem with Arosa is not console support (or potato PC support for that matter), it is the way the trees were implemented by RG. Clinchfield has shown that heavy vegetation cover with good frame rates is possible if correctly done. Hopefully for future routes Rivet will be able to work more closely with Dovetail and use these new techniques.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Coastway trainspotter

But that isn’t fair on all the last gen console players that want to play TSW2 but can’t afford a new console .

10. chieflongshin

Agreed but as time goes on less people will be using steam trains, portable CD players and carry a bum bag paying for all this goodness by cheque book.

Eventually people need to put the old Xbox in the attic and get up to date as prices drop. Otherwise we’d all still be playing sonic on a master system

• Like Like x 3
  11. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Thats called life.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Coastway trainspotter

But life shouldn’t have to disadvantage last gen players of a game because they can’t afford a new game console

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Well DTG aren’t doing it tomorrow, we’re only really discussing the eventuality of it happening, personally I think it will be within the next couple of yearly releases after RushHour, but it might also not be.

But most people playing TSW want more from it, and unfortunately the PS4’s and Xbox ones just can’t handle that, and DTG is unwilling to have separate developments for each platform, so the amount of meaningful progress they can make is limited until they axe the support for those machines.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chieflongshin

This feels like a troll. What are you playing on? Xbox or potato? First ever console or did you upgrade to it at some point when you could afford like you may in the future.

As per above time moves on, if you want to stay in the past save up for cryogenic freezing, time travel or stick with what you have.

Just a spoiler too, world war 2 has ended, dinosaurs have gone and poor countries find a way to get tech.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

Because at DTG there's the misconception that every player (Console and PC) has to have the same experience. So it will never happen.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

With that logic I should still be able to play every new game release on my PS2 and my 2005 PC with a single core CPU, 1GB of RAM and ATI X300SE video card. But time moves on, graphics technology and hardware improves, and people buy new hardware to be get better products.

But regarding the topic, it's not the issue of draw distance on Arosalinie. Rivet doesn't set the draw distance specifically for a single route. The game is just really ugly if you rely on conventional ways of scenery building - because distant terrain textures get blurred, you don't see shadows more than a few hundred meters further, and enviromental effects are weak. If the game gave them a proper foundation, this wouldn't have been an issue at all. But because TSW is like it is, it's really hard to nail distant scenery.

The recently released Cane Creek previes screenshots show that you need to modell custom mountains and ridges to make it look good. Something which Rivet did not. They should have, if they wanted to make this route that badly. But then there also shouldn't have to begin with, if TSW offered proper ways to make distant scenery look good.

TLDR: Simply more trees wouldn't save this route.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

I would definitely like to buy a PS5 console. But you can't buy in my region. It is unavailable for a long time.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. colinL

colinL Well-Known Member

True. And I didn't want to imply that the consoles have worse graphics or anything. Nowhere close. But look at the mod support for TSW2 for example and compare it to TS2021. But you nailed it with DTG unwilling to run 2 seperate builds.

• Like Like x 1
  19. chieflongshin

By region i guess you mean the world :)

Use the extra time saving money for a pc

20. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

Region Czech Republic. I have no reason to buy a gaming PC when we on the console everything is running well.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Cygnific

True, but I doubt they will model new mountains and adding more trees that cover a good portion of the low-res mountains is probably easier.
    I'm just dissapointed at the seemingly low effort they took overall, like the repeating (ugly) hedges, same textured walls. Maybe for others it aint a big deal, but for a scenic route it does for me.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Coastway trainspotter

Don’t ever speak to me like that , complaining about how much money I have . I play on the Xbox one s , which still runs the current game fine .

23. Coastway trainspotter

Also don’t speak to me like I don’t have a brain . I think I’m smart enough to know that

24. chieflongshin

Genuinely after a long old day at work this made me smile. Contextually I was suggesting in the past you have likely accrued, saved or used currency to buy and upgrade for something. It was not insinuating or attacking a lack of funds.

Thank you :)

• Like Like x 2
  25. Coastway trainspotter

Thanks , didn’t mean much really .

26. HeyYoPaulie!

HeyYoPaulie! Well-Known Member

Agree 100% with this. There are distant, dense treelines on the vast majority of routes, including preserved routes, so it is absolutely possible. It comes down to Rivet's implementation.

It's as if Rivet tried to "figure it out from the ground up", instead of pulling in DTG to advise on how to do it.

I wish Rivet and DTG would collaborate on implementing it,. because it is entirely possible.

If anyone knows how to mod this, it would literally transform the route. I recall trainsimcz testing if it was possible to enhance the distant trees a while ago (see video below), though not sure what his findings were.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

Take a drive on RSN and see how they could have added the distant trees

• Like Like x 1
  28. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

Exactly! On RSN there is almost no area that lacks distant scenery. And that while it was only the 2nd German route to be produced... I seriously wonder why they didn't continue what they did there onto other routes. And the German route after that, Main-Spessart Bahn, had slightly bare scenery in some places. Now 2-3 years later, and a really short route that is very scenic in real life doesn't have good distant scenery at all :( The shapes of the mountains are there, but they lack detail.

(Also, Rhein-Ruhr Osten has some great looking distant trees too, maybe DTG likes the area around Hagen Hbf :D )

• Like Like x 1