Live Quiz Thoughts

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Daytona, May 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

I enjoyed last nights quiz, tho I arrived late, thanks for setting it up JD & Jamie, I guess it was a lot of work.

Love the scoring system, which rewards knowledge and punishes guessing.

Impressed with the QuizKit extension - apart from the previous quiz in the RailFanFest I've never participated in live quizzes, so had no idea. Someone's obviously thought about it and created a good product.

Personally I have no interest in competition or rank, just how I score against the max possible, so I would be happy to just have a stream of questions and see the score vs max poss at the end. I found the targeting of that one player's performance uncomfortable - you either know the answers or you don't, nothing anyone says can make a difference.

20 seconds to answer the question was too long, I think and allows time to search, it only needs to be 5 secs.

I guess it was a lot of work, so unless there's books of questions and answers, perhaps seek Q&As/topics on the forums. Threads can be set up with replies visible only to moderators, if necessary.

Keep the frequency random - I'm a great believer in spontaneity to keep things interesting and to stop schedules becoming a chore for the creators, given the amount of work involved. Let people know about a future quiz a week before - perhaps on a single separate, moderator only thread so we can switch notifications/email alerts on without being swamped with replies.

Cheers guys

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  2. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I intended to watch it but was too tired, it sounded interesting. I'll have to check it out if they do another. It's good to have a variety of things to watch and not just actual driving of trains.

3. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it, did not expect to come first, I'm guessing the reactions from a much more competitive quiz come in handy*! Also I do miss the quiz night I used to go to pre-rona.

I'd agree that the picking someone out to cheer on was awkward. One twitch quiz I do instead tends to call out "Lucky 100" so whoever is/was in 100th place at that time.

Something else I'd probably suggest is not changing the background so rapidly, maybe have the image change every couple of mins with a slower fade?

I'd also suggest avoiding prizes, the just for fun element is much better. If there is a prize people will cheat and those not doing well will end end up feeling a bit salty.

*It's also much more evil then the DTG quiz, with lots of trick questions!

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  4. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

I was struggling to stay awake before it started too, generally, the 8pm stream start time isn't good for me, as I'm up at 5am.

5. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

Good point fabdiva, I forgot to mention that and completely agree. Competition spoils everything.