Should Dtg Implement Thameslink Services For Bml Using 377s?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by cloudyskies21, May 11, 2021.

1. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

So should Dovetail implement Thameslink services on Brighton Main Line that are substituted by Class 377s? But question is, would you want it to be an authentic experience and leave these out, or just happy for any extra traffic?

Obviously we have to be realistic that not all could be covered due to a lack of 377s in the first place, but I worry that the slow lines (especially stations between Gatwick and Redhill i.e. Horley, Salfords and Earlswood) would be empty. Plus it would be nice to have the odd extra train from Brighton to the likes of Bedford and Cambridge.

Overall Thameslink services which could be brought into the timetable include:

Horsham-Peterborough (driveable between Three Bridges-East Croydon - or if DTG are adventurous including the whole branch between Three Bridges-Horsham (less than ten miles distance)
    Brighton to: London Bridge, Bedford, Cambridge etc also driveable to East Croydon.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

If dtg doesn't have the license, then no. Also wouldn't Thameslink run class 387s and not 377?

3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I'd rather they spend the Southern 377/4s (which, btw, are 3rd rail only) on bulking out Southern's timetable, and leave the TL services to a seperate DLC. Plus, if that seperate DLC does come, what would they do witht he existing services? They've already said the last thing they want to do is remove services from the timetable for those who don't own the DLC, and I doubt those with the DLC will be willing to accept having those same services being operated by 2 different operators with 2 different trains.

• Like Like x 2
  4. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

We could potentially have Thameslink branded Class 377/5 (identical to the 377/4 but with a pantograph fitted) and a Class 387/1 (again identical to the Class 387/2 except some extra luggage racks I think) which operated Bedford to Brighton services prior to the Class 700 being introduced, but that depends on licensing which I believe DTG have said on a stream they haven't got (and why no Class 700 was planned for SEHS). At least we can produce something ourselves with the livery designer to somewhat fill in the void.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

This is the same question as it was on SEHS.
    Everyone mocked about DTG for their plans not to include the thameslink services, then they included them and then everyone was upset that the 465, which should have brought those services Into the Game, is just substituting/replacing
    So they could do this, if you all keep your mouth shut when a potential Thameslink DLC is just substituting, because the Services are already in the game

Personally, id be happy for the extra traffic and services, but i can already hear the people criticizing

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  6. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Hmm yeah you actually make a good point on that. But what happens if the DLC never comes, still could be left with a permanently empty bit of route.

Agreed. I've already created my own attempt at a Thameslink livery for Southeastern High Speed. :D I hope there are plenty of pathways for scenario planner to run these type of services on the slow lines - fingers crossed.

Obviously, while potential problems could occur if a Class 700 DLC was released later as discussed above, I'm with you on there being as many services as possible to give it a real sense of being there, plus everyone gets all the traffic on release as opposed to empty voids.

• Like Like x 2
  7. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

I'd like them to implement the Thameslink services with 377/5's which are almost identical to the 377/4's which we already have in the game. I don't think they could be Thameslink branded as there is a consensus that DTG don't have the license but if they set the route in 2015 they could have them in First Capital Connect livery who ran the franchise at the time. DTG do have a license for FCC.

4020099960_b95d5ffffd_b.jpg

8. 1tommytrouble

1tommytrouble Member

I doubt that because they have the license for Southern. Southern and Thameslink are both owned by a company called GTR. If they don't have the license, it would probably be easier to get because they have already featured one of GTR's operators.

• Like Like x 1
  9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Actually, Thameslink, Southern & Great Northern is a single railway, one franchise under NR and one TOC, so if DTG have a license for the Southern and Gatwick Express brands one would assume it also covers Thameslink and Great Northern. GTR's other subsidiary, Southeastern, has also granted DTG a license.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1