Lirr M3 - Post Patch Thoughts?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by HeyYoPaulie!, May 11, 2021.

1. HeyYoPaulie!

HeyYoPaulie! Well-Known Member

Held off purchasing the M3 due to lots of reported issues here on the forum.

Based on your experiences operating the M3 following the preservation crew updates, would you now consider this as a recommended purchase?

• Like Like x 3
  2. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

I don't have the M3 but M7 lacks bogey running sounds in the new update compared to its TSW 2020 version. As soon as you cut the traction out there is no running noise beside the occasional joint sound from time to time (even with window down). In TSW2020 i can hear a clear and distinct "rumble" as the train starts moving even at 30 Km/h.
    I'm quite sad because everything else seem to be spot on on the update.
    Maybe someone else can confirm this but until then i advise you to wait a little before buying the M3.

• Like Like x 3
  3. HeyYoPaulie!

That's disappointing to hear, as my understanding was that they were addressing train audio as part of the LIRR update.

I appreciate your feedback, thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dbrunner#4864

Well i just installed and tested the route in TSW2 (refused to play it on anything else than TSW2020 due to sound issues). And the M7 was far more quieter than in TSW2020. You do have joint sound and traction motor sound but that's it, at least in the cab the running sound is missing for me. But maybe is just me :), happy to offer a feedback. I am also curious why this is occurring since the sound should have been completely fixed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the the M7 still has quite a few sound issues I've found. I still had a case of missing traction motor sounds that I am pretty sure they were supposed to fix. As for the M3, I think the sounds are better, but only because it had less issues with it's TSW 2 port to begin with. However, issues light the cab light occlusion (where the carriage lights make the cab bright) as well as some inaccurate sounds persist. I like the M3 personally, but I think you should hold off on buying it, and hopefully we'll see more fixes the next time it gets updated.

• Like Like x 2
  6. HeyYoPaulie!

dbrunner#4864 Ant Craft Will hold fire. Thanks for the feedback guys - much appreciated!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

No problem! Happy to help :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. dbrunner#4864

So its not only me, you also found sound issues with the M7. Its strange that i can hear the traction motor sound, but no other running sounds of the wheels. Might it be speed related? you can only hear the traction motors once you go a certain speed?

Glad to help. I hope that the sound issues are fixed as the route itself and the services suffered a nice upgrade otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

M7: Ears piercing from the start to 10mph, then i becomes very quiet. At 50mph with windows down - no sounds at all :( Like im levitating. It destroys my will to drive it.
    M3: It's improved, but the wind is still very annoying - I think that it's still way too loud. After 40mph you can hear only wind bashing.

Was looking forward for this route, but i don't find it enjoying yet because of the sounds. But it's great that we have RD support finally. That's a big plus.

• Like Like x 5
  10. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

It’s not better as before on the M3 and M7.
    TSW 2 make all stuff broken :(

The only thing I hear all the time is the loud wind.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I will try it out tomorrow, but if it's really as bad as people make it out to be, then that's just sad...

• Like Like x 2
  12. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Well the Audio issues on the M7 still persist in which one part of the train will have audio but the middle part won't. The rear at times won't have audio and when I was entering the tunnel towards Penn Station in free cam, when I got back into cockpit cam, there was no audio in the train. When I got to Penn and tried doing a return journey the train had no audio so clearly that issue wasn't fixed even though all that needed to be done was get the audio to tsw2020 standards. Unbelievable

13. dbrunner#4864

Ok so its clear that the M7 audio is a big mess. Did they actually improve anything regarding the audio as it was in TSW2 before the "fix" ?
    I might also add that there is also a lack of audio / running sounds to AI trains passing you, they are dead silent except for occasional motor/joint sound.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bobsr

bobsr Member

The reverser on the M3 has an mind of its own at times. Sometimes it will go into the notches, "forward/neutral/reverse" correctly, sometimes not. At times it locks up, and, will not budge. Also, some of the times, the doors will open and at other times, it will not open unless, you get up out of the drivers seat and open the door from inside of the passenger compartment. It needs work. But, at least the Raildriver now works with it.

15. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

The only time the sound on M3 and M7 was weird for me its meant to cut out - it happens on the unpowered section of track. Having ridden these they seemed to match my videos I made enough for me. Perfect? No, but at least they're louder with the window open than when its closed now :). They made the wind noise less annoying too. Its more of white noise than a whistle now. I kinda like that change. I enjoyed running them both with Raildriver.

The reverser locks in some situations deliberately bobsr I cannot remember if it used to do it but you have to be in Max Brake and stopped to change it now. To move it to off you have to be in Emergency.

I quite like how they did the controller using the detent in the Raildriver on the main throttle. It feels nice and coincides with the click from the lever in game.

The horn is too quiet compared to real life (they are 106db at 100 yards from the track in real life) - that is very loud - in the game its like someone stepped on a mouse, well maybe a rat.

The other sounds for me match the rest of TSW2. People are complaining about lack of bogie sounds, do they exist on any TSW2 train? I love run8 where you can hear the creaks and groans of the bolster and the rubber blocks and the clank of the retaining chains moving in tight corners.

The update is very playable for me. I've done two scenarios and two services since finishing work and it was a few hours well spent. I really like LIRR because you have to pay attention or you end up in a penalty stop after ATC decides you didn't react fast enough.

Oh and finally an alert button action that actually works - I think this is the only train where it does what its meant to. I need to try the others because the cryptic note about misspelling "safety" makes me think they had the mapping wrong for everything and maybe its now fixed.

HeyYoPaulie! what time zone are you in (I'm in Melbourne, UTC+10) - if we can coincide a time I'm all set up for streaming, I will happily stream LIRR for you and you can get me to poke around and do things.

• Like Like x 2
  16. HeyYoPaulie!

A very kind offer, thank you :)

I have all the info I need thanks to the responses above, for which I'm grateful.

Sounds like the fundamental issues relating to the M3 haven't been resolved - most posts I've seen suggest it's still not a recommended purchase, which seems like a missed opportunity by DTG.

• Like Like x 2
  17. tallboy7648

No they didn't improve the audio before the update. This was actually the first patch after lirr came out nearly 8 months ago. They've seemed to make some aspects of the m7 worse

18. tallboy7648

The bogie sounds were there in tsw2020 for this route though hence why people were asking for them. All they had to do audio wise was get the route up to tsw2020 standard and that was Adam's goal but clearly they didn't do that.

• Like Like x 2
  19. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

Mm Is there a key to acknowledge atc I'm sure there used to be. Now Q just does the alerter.

Also the Y/U keys don't actually open and close the doors. They just click.i had to get up and open.and close the nearest door by clicking on the door itself to get the hud to register passenger loading.

20. dbrunner#4864

You cannot suggest in a serious matter that all TSW2 trains are missing the running sound and they are similar to M7 as audio goes (except preserved German stock)! That would be a great injustice to the other trains that i love and have proper sounds. From GWE and HST/166 to SEHS 395 and 377, ICE3, Talent 2, Class 47, the Underground 1972 stock, all of them have some running sound and feeling to them, from cab rumble to subtle wheel noise. (again this is just running noise no traction/joint sound taken into consideration) I mean if for you M7 is fine (probably you did not play in in TSW2020) im happy for you but you cannot say that all the TSW 2 trains have the same lack of sounds like the broken M7. They might not be perfect, but they are there and decent at least.

• Like Like x 3
  21. tallboy7648

And the m7 in tsw2020 had running sound as well. The sounds weren´t accurate completely but a decent job was done in the tsw2020 version. The tsw2 version seems to have made some sounds worse

• Like Like x 1
  22. dbrunner#4864

Yes it did have all the sounds in TSW2020 even with window up you could still hear the sounds properly. While HST and 166 received a sound upgrade in TSW2 sounding even better than in TSW2020, i was expecting the M7 to sound at least the same as in TSW2020.

• Like Like x 2
  23. tallboy7648

That was their goal for the m7 but clearly something went wrong

• Like Like x 1
  24. Dinosbacsi

Something went REALLY wrong. The whole route is a mess.

What actually got fixed/improved is great, but this is not the state you should release an update in.

• Like Like x 3
  25. tallboy7648

Apparently dtg hadn't released the full update package for the LIRR. I was told this by someone in a thread I made about my thoughts on the LIRR update. It should be out tommorrow since that's when HBL comes out. I don't get why dtg doesn't release a full package and just releases part of a package. It doesn't make sense. This is the only game company that I know that does this nonsense

• Like Like x 1
  26. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Is this info from someone actually at DTG? Good news, if true, but like you said should have been in from the beginning.

• Like Like x 2
  27. tallboy7648

It was someone who said they got a response from a ticket they submitted about all the issues and that someome at dtg said basically that the full update didn't ship out. There was no explanation as to why though

28. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Lol who knows, but thanks for the info. I know they need to fix a major bug with the S6 on RT, so hopefully that will be included as well.

• Like Like x 2
  29. tf51d

tf51d New Member

They broke signaling on this route. Now they force a Red signal at the end of the next station platform. This is preceded with a 40mph Yellow well before the station and a 15MPH at the Station threshold, forcing you to slow down too early when ATC is active. This is not realistic at all on this line. The red clears when ready to depart.

• Like Like x 2
  30. tallboy7648

I don't get why they did that. I really can't play the route with atc. Why introduce more issues for petes sake

31. tf51d

tf51d New Member

They obviously didn't have anyone with LIRR knowledge on their QA team, or this would have been picked up immediately.

• Like Like x 3
  32. Dinosbacsi

I wonder if they did any test runs on the route before release at all, but even if they did, they did so without the safety systems on, that's for sure. Can't believe they didn't notice that pressing Q no longer moves the alerter handle.

• Like Like x 2
  33. tallboy7648

Yep they made it worse. That wouldn't happen in real life

34. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

The signalling is quite frankly pox on this route. I fear this game is turning into Collectable Simulator rather than Train Simulator...

• Like Like x 2
  35. tallboy7648

I like collecting collectables tbh. It gives players an incentive to explore the map

• Like Like x 1
  36. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I agree.

• Like Like x 1
  37. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

Nothing against you guys who like the collectables, each to their own, but I was trying to make the point that it is a train simulator and therefore the signalling should be working correctly.

• Like Like x 2
  38. tallboy7648

That is true that the signaling should be working correctly especially when they claim to make authentic locos and routes

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  39. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Though I've only managed like one or two SPADs ever on the LIRR, the ATC is...well it could use a bit of work on it. Perhaps larger block spacing and logic will do the trick?
    However there's a larger issue apparent now: ever since the update I've noticed that at all stations the ATC will instruct me to slow to 15 mph, where there'll usually be a red aspect signal on the far end of the platform. Which is rather amusing because one of the Rapid Transit fixes literally states this...
    • Updated the timetable to include missing 'Dispatch Beyond' ticks for station stops. You should no longer see a red signal at every stop.
    ...Uh...can the LIRR also get this fix as well? :)

• Like Like x 4
  40. tallboy7648

The irony. SMH

41. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

Are you still surprised ? :D

• Like Like x 2
  42. dbrunner#4864

From what you guys are saying with ATC slowing you down to 15 MPH before each station, i understand that it will be impossible to keep the timetable since it was pretty tight even before this issue was introduced.

• Like Like x 1
  43. tf51d

tf51d New Member

I submitted a ticket so hopefully this will be quickly resolved!

• Like Like x 2
  44. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

Don't worry, you'll lose that optimism and become a grumbling grump like the rest of us if you spend too much time on this forum ;)

• Like Like x 3
  45. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

the best solution is to live with the problems of the game, just as the COVID :D

• Like Like x 1