Dlc Add-ons

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Thomas Ham, May 13, 2021.

1. Thomas Ham

Thomas Ham Active Member

I Know everyone can't pay the DLC for TSW 2 Train Route's but i have an idea to resolve this why not add 3 routes Like rush hour every Month and charge £24.99 hear is some examples
    Glasgow Cathcart Circle
    West Cornwall Local: Penzance - Truro & St Ives
    Cane Creek
    add all 3 Route's
    as on pack you get more for you money

• Like Like x 6
  2. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I completely agree with the OP, in concept. I suspect also, that in the long run it would generate more revenues (and net profit). However, the model that DTG uses has been baked in for a while (and has proven to meet their needs), which is:

- "introductory" DLC x3 route pack every year featuring German/US/UK DLCs for their major markets;
    - inter-year route DLCs sold on a demand pricing basis (essentially a premium/penalty for anyone that wants earlier access);
    - inter-year rolling stock DLCs (planned well in advance of the relevant route DLC being published - they are part of the same product);
    - a few weeks/months later, "sales" marketing that implies that you are getting a discount (this is just demand pricing); and,
    - conversion of the annual x3 packs into single packs, and marketed according to demand pricing "sales" "discounts".

It's going to be very difficult for DTG to unlearn the above process. So... my suggestion would be for DTG to dip a toe in, and to try out a x3 route pack every six months, at £25/$30/€30, and see how the cash flows in. And then move to every three months, if it works out nicely for them (which I suspect it would). It's all part of scaling up the production (and mass sales), from where DTG were ten years ago.

It might take quite a while before DTG can issue a new x3 route-pack every single month though......

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

So in essence you want them to do the same amount of work for 1/3 of the income...
    Why not reduce your wages to 33% and then try to pay your bills?

• Like Like x 6
  4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

And then they complain if HHL has no new rolling stock...

• Like Like x 1
  5. synthetic.angel

Nope. That's not how it works.

I reckon they make a lot more money from doing the annual x3 route pack, than they would if they didn't. But I am not convinced that they have capacity to do this monthly (or that even if they did, that it would be wise to do so - more sales data would be needed).

Every six months might work... But then again, it might not. I am suggesting that they try it out, and see what happens. Maybe make the first six-monther triple pack release available for a limited time, just in case it goes horribly wrong.

Actually, five years ago, I reduced my wages by 100%, and invested some of the wages from the previous twenty years, and now I have considerably more incoming income than outgoing costs. My income actually increases, as I do less work.

Lucky me, eh...? Or.... maybe I figured out how it works...? ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  6. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I am not too sure about that... yearly works, but every 6 months? I don't think so, they seem already stretched in available resources now, to the point of making new DoStos not worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I don't really think this makes economic sense.
    Under the OP's proposal
    You getting 3 items for the price of one once every month. That means that ⅔ of all DLCs bought would, when you think about it, essentially be free. I personally think the only flaw with the current system (from my perspective) is the lack of Sale opportunity on Xbox.

8. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Or maybe, expanding on the idea, during some of the larger sales or during events, they create bundles. Put a few routes and or locomotive DLCs together that can be bought at a discount during the duration of the event or sale.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ARuscoe

That's based on you earning more than you spent (ie saving) something which a lot of people don't have the capacity to do

The OP specifically stated 3 routes every month, so that's (at least) three times more work for the same money, or reducing recompense per hour to 33%

And I'm not sure they have that capacity either

• Like Like x 2
  10. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

No because then they wouldn’t do rush hour in the first place

11. synthetic.angel

I fully appreciate that (although I worked quite hard, and lived quite leanly for 20 years, starting from absolutely nothing, in order to save up for my independence from "the system" - so it can be done). But I would still like to see the cost of TSW come down so that more people can afford it sooner, as the production (and hopefully, quality) scales up. At the moment, TSW is an extraordinarily expensive bit of software, for what you get per £pound, in content, and quality (although it is still rather good fun, if you can afford it),

I don't think that net profit would be directly proportional to the initial (early access) offer price to the customer. If that were to be true, then the cost of every single product on the planet would quickly become £€$infinity.

I think that the gross number of sales, and the future communityability of a product (future sales of related products), might play into the equation as more dominant factors, with the annual x3 route pack promotion.

I agree with you - DTG almost certainly do not have the capacity to churn out three route DLCs per month. At the moment they are struggling to diarise enough QA time for any of their DLCs at the current rate of production.

12. synthetic.angel

Fabulous idea....!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Whilst I have my criticism of the quality, I can't agree that it's expensive. Currently for what I've paid (including DLC) it's costing me well under £1 an hour and I've still got many hours of play time still to come. I can't think of many things that provide that sort of value. Plus by waiting for sales I could have reduced that significantly.

• Like Like x 1
  14. sdc

sdc Member

Sorry I don’t support the OP idea has some Routes are made by third party such has Rivet Games and Skyhook.
    Glasgow Cathcart Circle (DTG) - Upcoming*
    Cane Creek (Skyhook Games) - In Production*
    West Cornwall Local (Rivet Games) - In Planning*
    Route and Loco DLC are available to purchase all of the time in the store on the platform which you use. You don’t have to buy them as soon as they are released.

I can’t see this happening with routes or loco dlcs as some in the community will complain that there is no new content for Train Sim World 2.

We only get 3 routes together for when TSW2 gets its yearly summer release.

They have said in the last roadmap update stream that Route and Loco DLC takes priority on QA the issue with QA last month was with the backlog of fixes.

*Status of Route DLC on the Roadmap Update dated 4 May 2021

• Like Like x 1
  15. ARuscoe

Depends. I've spent probably £250 on TSW2, but I've played 1500 hours so that's 16pph
    If you say "but it's £25 per route" (or game) then that's fine, but then you look at PS5 games being almost £70 a shot
    ie value is relative. I don't think £25 for 50miles of recreated route and some stock is actually that bad. others obviously think differently

• Like Like x 2
  16. synthetic.angel

I completely agree - once you are on board with TSW, the hours of enjoyment rack up (1000+ hours for me), and if you can fund it, then that's great....! But many people can't.

Personally, I have spent about £1000 on TS2012 and TSW (so far), and I can certainly say that I have also spent considerably more than £1000 on physical items that have barely been used (model railways is the classic for many TS players). But you do get to keep the physical item.

I have also spent £1000 on a single night in a hotel. It was quite a good hotel. Nice tea. And in this case, you do not get to keep the hotel room, or the tea - just the memory...... ;-)

But the value of TS2012 and/or TSW is very very poor compared to other games/software that I own, that have also had 1000+ hours.... those games come in at less than a penny per hour - literally x500 cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
  17. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

The difference is Rush Hour is essentially the yearly bundle, the OP wants one every month.

• Like Like x 1