Does Anybody Know Why The In Cab Signaling Doesn’t Match The In Game Speed Limits On Lirr?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by CrazyDash, May 14, 2021.

1. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

I have never understood the speed system in this route. On the majority of the route, the in game speed limits do not match the in cab signaling system. For example, let’s look at Atlantic Terminal and Belmont station. The in game speed limit is 5mph. Is that actually realistic? There’s no way it can be. On the in cab signaling, it says my speed limit is 15mph. Another example, the over pass on the Atlantic terminal line. On the in cab signaling, it tells me that the speed limit is 60-70mph. The in game speed limit however is 45mph. This makes absolutely no sense. One final example is stopping at stations with a red signal after it. Whenever there is a station with a red right after it, you are forced to slow down to 15mph. Do trains really approach stations at 15mph? There’s just no way. This makes you lose a lot of time and usually delays me. I usually like to approach stations at 30-40mph on LIRR, so I find this very hard to believe you have to slow down to 15mph for a red signal. Please tell me if I’m wrong. I know very little about the LIRR. I just don’t get why the speed limits in game don’t match the in cab signaling. If this is a bug, then please let me know and I will report this to Dtg.

2. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

The in game speed limits are the max. track speed. The in cab signaling is telling you the maximum speed based on the current signals.

3. CrazyDash

What confuses me is there are times where the signal limits are higher than the in game speed limits

4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That's correct. ATC is not LZB. Not to say the ATC in the game works properly - it doesn't - but the ATC speed limit is based entirely on signal state and has nothing to do with line speeds. In some cases they may well be higher.
    ---
    NB: the speed limit at Atlantic Terminal really is 5 mph. The ATC reads 15 because it doesn't go any lower, and that is its standard reading when approaching a stop.

• Like Like x 1
  5. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

The in cab signaling doesn’t know what the track speed limit is. The in cab speed is purely based on the signals. So if the signals indicate clear for multiple miles ahead, then the cab will show 80 as the limit. On the other hand, the track might not allow speeds up to 80 due to curves, steep grades, or station approaches. In that case, the in game limit can appear to be less than what the cab signaling system indicates.

6. sukihersch

sukihersch Member

It's worth noting that as I understand it, the ATC tells you the speed to need to be slowing down to rather than the speed you must be travelling under, I very much don't know the details but I have the impression it's "you must be under this speed by the time you pass the next signal" or something like that. So again it's possibly that 15 is the lowest it can go and it's really saying "the next signal is red"

7. CrazyDash

Is ACSES what enforces the line speed then?

8. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I believe yes, but ACSES is not featured on LIRR in-game. The hardware is there in the cab, but I believe the route is set in 2019, when ACSES hasn't been fully implemented on LIRR yet.

9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

15 mph is completely normal when approaching a red. (And any RL driver who approached a platform at 40 mph would be fired!)