Future & Past Loco Dlc For Nec

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jeremydunn8, May 16, 2021.

?
  1. "Into the Future" pack with HSP46 & Avelia Liberty

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. "Amtrak Legends" pack with AEM-7 & Acela Express

37 vote(s)
    68.5%
  3. Neither should be added

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. I want a different loco DLC for this route (explain)

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

With the hyped Northeast Corridor coming soon for Train Sim World 2, I was somewhat disappointed with the lack of variety in locos and rolling stock provided. This thread is my idea for 2 future loco DLC's for this route.

Into the Future:
    This loco DLC would include 2 new locos for the NEC. The first would be the Amtrak Avelia Liberty set, which would run the Acela service between Boston and Providence. This would come with access to high-speed lines if they have their own track, and would enable the player to reach the maximum speed of 150 miles per hour. There could be opportunities for scenarios involving testing the new train since it's just now being implemented on the NEC.
    E0600BA4-5C21-4AAF-9605-58996F6F261F.jpeg

Another loco being included would be the MBTA's HSP46, also including the bi-level passenger cars and the cab car. This loco would run as a substitute for the older F40PH-2C's which are included with the route. Or it could run as the only train on a timetable which will be discussed further down. Scenarios could be similar to what we see with the F40PH-2C, but nothing too special there.
    812EA14C-8579-4D1F-AFF1-E4150ACF32C4.jpeg
    It would be important to note that if you owned this DLC, the passenger cars for the MBTA should be randomized like they are in real life.

Amtrak Legends:
    Similar to the Diesel Legends of the Great Western DLC, this pack would include 2 older locos to be run on a separate timetable. The first loco worth mentioning would be the current Acela Express set. Running from Boston to Providence, it would work similarly to the Avelia Liberty mentioned above.
    05B724FB-3C32-40F9-999C-699B895BB17D.jpeg

Also included would be the Amtrak AEM-7's, which were retired about 5 years ago. These would replace the ACS-64 on an older timetable, and would run prototypical services which would have been run in real life.
    D0B3A7B6-0F16-4CBC-A4D6-1309A4594250.jpeg
    Timetables:
    The timetables would most likely be the hardest part of implementing this DLC. My suggestion would be to have 3 separate timetables. The first would be the standard timetable used as of 2021, with the ACS-64, the F40PH-2C, the HSP46, and the Acela Express. The Avelia Liberty would only do test runs.

Second would be a future timetable, where the F40PH-2C and the single level cars are gone, with the HSP46 and bi-level cars taking over. Also, instead of the Acela, the Avelia Liberty would run those services. If freight is implemented, this timetable might remove substitution of older locos such as the SD40-2 for those services.

Finally, there would be a historical timetable, with the AEM-7's replacing the ACS-64's, the HSP46/bi-level cars being gone, and the Acela running exclusively. The ACS-64's would only do testing runs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, that's about all I can think of. I am by no means an expert on this route, so feel free to mention anything that might not work. I've only rode on the MBTA once, and that was on the subway, which might also be a neat suggestion to make on the forum.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  2. csxfan#8403

csxfan#8403 Active Member

This is amazing! I'm all for the Amtrak Legends DLC.

3. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

What I'd really love for NEC is a GG1, but I'll settle for the Legends pack in your poll :D

4. jeremydunn8

That would be really neat, but it would definitely not work in the AEM-7/ACS-64 timeline. But I’d definitely be on board with a Pennsylvania Railroad route in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Your loco DLC ideas are both twice as big as loco DLCs that get made for TSW2. They need to be split into four choices of loco DLC for any of them to happen. A loco DLC = one train only, especially when it includes bespoke carriages and a cab car, or a full high spec multiple unit. Double packs like this just don’t happen. The diesel legends pack for GWE had no new trains in it, they all already existed in game, one of them got a lick of paint though.

• Like Like x 3
  6. jeremydunn8

There have been loco DLC’s with multiple locos. I’m thinking of the Heavy Freight Pack and the Diesel legends pack, but there’s probably more.

7. jeremydunn8

They could also charge 5 dollars extra or something like that for the extra locos. I think it’s possible that this could happen. They’re also getting really low sales from loco DLC’s if I remember correctly from one of the streams.

8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Diesel Legends had zero new locos. All of them already existed. They didn’t have to make a single item. The 52 got a new livery and a new timetable was created, and that cost more than a loco DLC. Heavy Freight was a long time ago, when there was not a lot of content in TSW yet. It is the only example that had two locos and it also had just two wagons too, one of them a tiny van. There was the switcher for the old NEC that came with a cab car bundled for the Amtrak but again that was a long long time ago.

Recent loco DLC are things like the 363 switcher for RSN, the 465 for SEHS, the Baby Bullet for Pen Cor (the closest to what you would get by splitting yours in half), the C40-8W for SPG, the upcoming 313 for ECW, the BR101 for HRR (which didn’t even get the cab car it nearly always uses). So to sum up, one multiple unit, or one loco with a wagon, or one loco and some coaches. That is the amount of content they come with now, with a timetable layer if needed. The Baby Bullet, 465 and 313 don’t even get new timetable services, just sub in for existing services. The others get a handful of services at most.

Take it from me, each of the trains you mention would constitute a DLC on its own, with or without a timetable layer as necessary.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jeremydunn8

I’m not sure why you’re putting so much effort into having these be separate DLC’s, but I think economically, especially with the new “rush hour” approach, that it is better to charge more for multiple locos than to sell them individually. Like I said, I remember them saying once that loco DLC’s sold the least copies, probably due to a lack of content for a high price. With this being the case, more sales and packs would be a good way to do it.

Also, my proposal of 2 large packs with new timetables does not work if the locos are all separate DLC’s. Honestly I think they could combine all of my suggested locos and charge as much as a full route for them, but it’s possible someone would want only the old or new locos. Having them all separate though makes timetables more challenging since there’s more variation on what people own. So it’s really important that they’d be released as packs.

10. aarontheloner

aarontheloner Active Member

I can dig the legends pack.

11. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Fair enough, I was only trying to help. If you want your suggestions to be made you have to suggest things that DTG would realistically make. It’s just that since the release of the Diesel Legends pack people have been getting excited and wanting huge packs that would require all new locomotives to be made. They are not going to be made because there’s too much development work involved.

The importance of them being released as packs because of the timetable part of the suggestions falls on the same issue. Diesel Legends was just the timetable (and a livery) being made with no locomotives being developed, so is the equivalent of just one of your three timetables alone without any of your four trains being made, and that cost £15. You must see the mismatch between what you suggest and what has already been made.

Your suggestion doesn’t match the DL pack, any loco DLC or DTG’s development limits in terms of amount of content included in a DLC for a DLC, the content that has the least maximum sales potential. The only effort I’ve put in is help you realise that.

13. jeremydunn8

I understand, but I did explain how they could maybe start doing these bigger packs and get more sales. Again, it’s only 2 locos per pack that I want. I’d be happy to wait and pay extra for this. I’m also not going to change my suggestions based on what they’ve done in the past, since no positive change would come from that.

14. jeremydunn8

In the timetable section I mentioned that the older timetable would take place right before the ACS-64 went into service, so you’d get an ACS-64 testing scenario. Probably around 2015 or so.

15. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Amtrak legends for sure, it would help boost RH sales and a pack like this would make DTG’s bank account explode since everyone would flock to get the Acela.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  16. driverwoods#1787

17. jeremydunn8

Sure, I’m no expert, whatever the date is that’s the date it would be set.

18. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

NEC in the 1950s could be fantastic. A PRR GG1 and E44 would be the perfect choices for electric locos. A PRR G7/9, RS3 (or some other diesel) could be used for switching and local trains on non-electrified sections.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Those AEM-7's look pretty cool.

Only downside is that there's probably just one route to run such a loco DLC on. I'd be more likely to buy loco DLCs if they can be used on a few routes.

But the AEM-7's do look cool. I would definately be interested in those.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeremydunn8

If they ever make a future NEC route I’d assume the Amtrak locos could be included as layers.

21. dedh98mosqueto

dedh98mosqueto Active Member

"Amtrak Legends" but with the GG-1.

• Like Like x 1
  22. diesel power

diesel power Member

The CSX GP40-2 and the GG1! The GG1 hauling passengers and freight and the GP40-2 hauling freight on non electrified parts

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  23. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

Legends of course, but I can accept and trains of the future too)

24. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I especially like this part, as it doesn't limit the locos to just one timetable. Having tjree timetables representing three era's (without feeling as anachronistic as DLGW) would be great.

I'd also love to see the ill-fated HHP-8 in the 'past' pack personally :).

25. driverwoods#1787

GG-1 is not capable of using the 25kv 60hz Wires of Boston to New Haven via Providence, RI only the 11kv 25hz wires of New Haven Washington Union Station section. Bonus if a German route with DB BR401 ICE1 was made that can layer there or SJ Sweden X2000 layer on that section. Boston-providence requires DSB IC3 layer pre 1999

26. jeremydunn8

Bump, I believe this is relevant again, sorry if I’m breaking a rule here though.

27. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Please see the forum rules regarding Necrobumping.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.