Class 52 - Substitute

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bobbobberdd, May 17, 2021.

1. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

Was the Class 52 ever found on the Northern Trans Pennine or Tees Valley Line.

I ask if it would be possible / realistic to ask Adam if he and his Team can add this Locomotive to the Substitution Lists of this Routes when these Routes get their "Upgrade" at some point.

And to be on the safe side. I mean the Class 52 from the Diesel Legends Pack

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

As far as I know the Class 52 was only ever used in the Western Region. So it would be wrong to include them in the above DLC’s. One for scenario planner in this case.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

It couldn't sub in realistically on either route with timetabled services, perhaps there might have been some irregular testing or specials that took the 52 that far north but they'd be better addressed by a railtour/special timetabled service than by substituting out the 45 or 47.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. bobbobberdd

It's a shame, I like the Class 52 and the timetable on GWR gets boring in the long run. Always Reading-Peddington and No Stop in between.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I don't think so, but they DID work down to Penzance so the upcoming Cornish route might make for a good substitution base

• Like Like x 2
  6. bobbobberdd

After the preview stream for Gathcard Circle, I have less hope of seeing the Class 52 anywhere else. GCC has Railtour Services but unfortunately without the 52 and strangely enough, I didn't see a Class45 either.

7. ARuscoe

The 52 was a western region train (equivalent of GWR) so seeing them anywhere north of the Midlands would be unlikely.
    I believe the 45s were mainly Midland Mainline and then GWR later on

8. bobbobberdd

Does that mean that these Railtour services are real. I really thought they were fictional.

9. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

The rail tours are mostly fictional as in they might have happened once in the past, the locomotives DTG use in the different areas are ones that could reasonably be based in a heritage railway near the area of the route, lots of heritage railways preserve what was running during normal services in that area as that is what most locals will remember and want to see so a class 52 in Scotland would be weird for lots of people because they would have never seen them running on their way to work. Not the best explanation, maybe someone can rewrite what I've just said but hope it's good enough for now :)

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. ARuscoe

No, but then as Wolfovizer says above, there's a limit to what DTG put into such things.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

This is a community sourced list, so take it with a grain of salt as to how accurate it is, but it does indeed list a BR 52 for use on RailTour services in Scotland.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/page/Trains+of+Scotland

BR52’s have also been seen in the past around Crewe & Warrington, I don’t recall what services they would of been on however this is the route toward Glasgow so I don’t think it would be too far of a push to see 52’s doing rail tours in places it wouldn’t necessarily of ran actual services.

Having worked in a few depots on preserved railways now I certainly wouldn’t say it’s unusual to see older locos out of their usual areas.

Personally I wouldn’t see an issue with any older UK loco across all UK Railtours in TSW, at least in the context of TSW’s timetable being based on a single 24 hour period.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. andrewandjane66

andrewandjane66 Well-Known Member

Very much a one-off, but D1013 Western Ranger did reach Leeds on a service from Swansea in January 1977. It wouldn't have taken the NTP route however.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

Boness doesn’t have any 45s unfortunately... but they do have 37s so the tees valley one should be possible

221FD845-7CCD-4A3C-B929-7ECE13507075.jpeg 0444D1E2-7904-4414-BF13-CBA405645932.jpeg
    (Not my photos)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1