For Dovetail Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mikel, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Mikel

Mikel Member

I'm tired of the "Save Dump" and the "Out Of Memory", rather than worry about the languages, you better work in the Simulator. You had to take a Train Simulator 2018 to combat the losses that you have had with Train Sim World, and besides, Train Simulator 2018 all you have done is change the logo because you have not had balls to gut it and rename the graphics engine, since you are working with the same engine since 2001 and over 32-bit. You are a LOVE company that you do not deserve or call you company and not even going to have the balls to respond to this message because you know how right I have.

• Like Like x 3
  2. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

What? ...

3. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

Train Simulator 2018 was planned for a release before we'd even decided on a name for Train Sim World. Also, TSW hasn't made any losses, it has performed far beyond our initial expectations.

Tinkering with the engine is a slippery slope, there are a lot of components that with even the slightest alteration can break a multitude of things (official scenarios, workshops content, loco features), though we are looking into how we can combat the 32bit limitations. Hopefully we'll have something to say on that front relatively soonish.

- Jay

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mikel

Mikel Member

You have had 9 years to solve the problem, it does not serve as an excuse. Before taking out a DLC, you have to make sure that it has no faults and it is all correct, and that, you do not do it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I am not sure what the issue is here but I have never had a issue with either Simulator they are both great. I hope that they continue to add more content to both. The only thing I would like to see brought back into TSxx is the BNSF content.

6. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

And we'd love to bring it back, but unfortunately that isn't possible :(

- Jay

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Michael Newbury

What I am hoping is that you guys are still actively trying to get the content reinstated. Because I have been through the workshop content and have found only 5-6.5% of all content is playable.

8. Mikel

Mikel Member

Stop selling and taking out dlcs and dedicate yourself to fixing everything you spoil !!!, I've had 5 save dumps at a time in train simulator, stop laughing in our faces and stealing our money selling 40-mile routes for 30 euros. You have already had to leave FSW and if you do not put your batteries, you will end up doing the same with TSW and train simulator, and do not tell lies that it is not true, you know perfectly well that it is true. You have me up to my nose and people do not have the balls to tell you all this. Look for a solution because it seems that you do not care about all the reports that are communicated to you to repair everything you spoil. You said you were working on changing the 32-bit to 64-bit simulator but I have not seen anything like that, you've only worked on taking new routes to keep getting the money. Now you can find a good answer to this and that I am convinced because you have it raw.

• Like Like x 3
  9. darujhistan

darujhistan Member

First of all I think you are being quite aggressive in your posts, if you need some help with Train Simulator, then you stand a better chance of getting help by being a bit more polite. We have all had the same problems has you at one time or another, and I understand it can be annoying, but being cocky will only make people ignore you.

There can be many reasons why we get "save Dump" and "out of memory" problems, it could be a computer issue on your end, which has nothing to do with Dovetail Games, or it could be a third party product, such as a Re-skin, Scenario, Route etc, that you have installed at your own will and at your own risk, which once again has nothing to do with Dovetail Games.

Dovetail Games are not responsible for any third party products, this includes any third party products that they publish and sell through their own website or steam, this also goes for any route or scenario released though the steam workshop, because they are not the ones who have created them, they are only responsible for the products they create. It is not down to Dovetail Games to fix other people's third party product that interfere with your installation of TS, but however they do try to help those that need it, providing they are polite and imformative.

Problems can be very difficult to sort out, because everybody's installation of Train Simulator is different, we all have different routes, stock etc installed, and at the end of the day they are only people, they make mistakes, but they do try to fix them sooner or later if they can, technology is very complex, maybe a bit more understanding would not go a miss on your part. Thank You.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I think the core simulator is reasonably stable the last few years. However, it would be nice to have an improved user interface, e.g. the scenario editor only has playing the scenario as next option, but you don't get returned to the editor afterwards. Also the saved games might improve a bit and I don't like the F5 HUD functions you need for steam engines.

11. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly agree with this. The "save dump" crash problem is out of control in this game. This is a basic problem that most developers would iron out even before the base game releases. You don't know how many times I've wasted money on a route because it's been rendered unplayable by these bugs. I love how you're giving DTG the negative feedback they need and deserve. It's really a shame that they dominate the train sim market.

• Like Like x 1
  12. darujhistan

darujhistan Member

I understand what you are saying, last mouth I was getting "save dump" problems almost every time I went on to the menu to pick a scenario to play, if I took too long, it would go to "save dump", but instead of blaming DTG, I decided to do a complete new reinstall of Train Simulator, I even took off Steam, I optimised and I cleaned the drive that TS and Steam was installed in to, and started from scratch. I installed all the Dovetail Games products first that I wanted, no problem, than I installed all the Just Trains products, still no problems, then I started to install some of the third party scenarios from the steam work shop, not good, there was a problem with one of the work shop scenarios, every time I went to click on this scenario to play it, it would freeze TS, so I deleted that scenario and all was fine again.

What I am saying is, how do you know Dovetail Games is responsible for causing these "save dumps"?, do you only have DTG products installed ? or do you have a mixture of products?

I am sorry that you feel you have wasted money on a route that you think is unplayable, but at the end of the day, I can only say what I have experience over the years using TS, and have found that if I have a problem, it is usually caused by me not installing a third party product correctly, or a file that has not installed correctly, or a corrupt file etc, that has interfered with in.

Constructed criticism towards DTG (or anyone else for that matter) is not a bad thing, providing they are exactly responsible. And as for DTG dominating the train sim market, well they did develop this sim in the first place, so they have that right.

• Like Like x 1
  13. John Murphy

This happens only on DTG products so far. The only 3rd party content I have are routes that were sold by DTG on Steam. I don't buy any content from 3rd party sites or have any Workshop content. I've made sure to install all files correctly (using DTG's instructions) and nothing I do fixes the problem. I seriously went through every possible troubleshooting method to ensure the problem was not on my end, and nothing worked. And I don't "think" these routes are unplayable, I know they're unplayable. I literally can't play them without the game crashing. Steam refuses to give me a refund because their refund policy is seriously messed up, so therefore, the route is a waste of money. I used to enjoy collecting these different routes, but now I very rarely purchase stuff. Really I'll only buy something if it's something I've wanted for years or if it's at least 50% off in a sale. If you love DTG, good for you. But based on my personal experiences with them and their abundance of faulty content, I can't say the same. To me they're kind of like the LJN of train sims and it's rare anymore that they actually release a good product that's honestly worth the money. If you want to play a better sim, get Trainz or Run 8.

14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Just spent a few minutes looking these over. Trainz doesn't seem to have decent graphics, content or playability. Run 8 can require administrative privileges over windows to run, which is a security risk.
    I guess all of them have major flaws...

15. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Hello people!
    I don't know if you're aware but there are countermeasures to those dump errors. Mostly it's an out-of-memory issue. Reducing Scenery density and scenery quality by a few clicks will get you a much more stable TSxx. Furthermore, you should generally avoid 3rd party scenarios/rolling stock which call upon a lot of assets, draining memory. Armstrong Powerhouse has a route stability enhancement pack that seriously helps TSxx with memory. Avoid intensive programs in the background which can partially use up the memory. And finally, it goes without saying, save your game often.
    On the other hand, crashes can be caused by insufficient hardware. Please refer to the recommended requirements for TSxx. The minimal requirements aren't quite enough.
    To fix those dumps, however, would require a fundamental rework of the game, which, they are doing with TSW.
    Hope it helps!
    ProfCreeptonius.

16. John Murphy

I really don't care about the graphics in Trainz and it's had plenty of replay value for me over the years. Graphics don't make the game for me. I've played games like Densha De Go (the Japanese train sim) where the graphics are absolutely horrible, but I think the game is still fun and challenging.

17. John Murphy

And you know, I've tried all of these and none of them work. I don't think it it really matters if you lower your settings (I even tried it on the lowest settings possible and it still crashed) and for me personally, I don't see why I should on my machine. It should easily be able to handle this game and even TSW at max settings. This is a problem that DTG needs to look into, but they're just not doing it for whatever reason and it ruins the entire game. The only reason why I'm still playing, is because I've invested so much money in routes and trains in the past, that I feel like I need to keep playing to try and make it worth the money I spent. Otherwise, I would have ditched this game long ago.

18. ProfCreeptonius

John Murphy
    I'm sorry, but I have to say your claim is questionable. On my rig, even with max settings and a ridiculous amount of third party add-ons, TSxx doesn't crash nearly as often as you describe it. And I know a fair amount of people whose game doesn't fail so often. I'm convinced that something with either your rig or your TSxx installation is faulty. Please give us more details on your hardware and the add-ons in question. Please be as specific as possible. I'll see what I can do, but unfortunately, I can't promise anything.
    Thanks,
    Prof.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. darujhistan

darujhistan Member

I have around 15 DTG routes installed and lots of stock, I have never had a problem with they're products being unplayable, except when I first got into TS, and that was when they were called Railworks, in which I had a rubbish graphics card etc.

I am unsure what your problem is, I don't think I have enough experience to help you, but there are other people out there who are, if you want to get your installation up and running, then let them try to help you at least.

Have you been in contact with DTG concerning the instability of your TS installation? (if you so strongly believe that it's down to DTG to fix your problems), with the appropriate information of course.

• Like Like x 2
  20. John Murphy

I have gone through the whole troubleshooting process with DTG on this issue several times before and every single time, I ruled out the problem being on my end and DTG were unable to find a fix on their end (although personally I'm not sure they were even looking for a fix in the first place). I never experienced this problem either until about a year ago, then it happened on about half of my routes. I didn't change anything on my PC or in the game. It just started happening out of nowhere. It's made me really wary on the content I purchase and (although I mostly did this anyway) I only buy content during sales so I can get it at the lowest price possible. That way if the route is plagued by this bug, at least I don't waste the full $40 on it.

21. hightower

hightower Guest

I’ve virtually never had these crashes. Literally once or twice and it’s always been if I’ve tabbed out into Windows then tried to go back in to the game.

What are the offending routes then that you say are a waste of money?

FWIW I’m running it at 3200x1800 with all settings maxed out so, in all honesty, I don’t think it’s DTGs issue.

• Like Like x 2
  22. rickyt7808

rickyt7808 Member

Like hightower the only occasions to date when I have had crashes is when I've altered something, like editing a QD consist and I've typed something wrong or if my graphics settings have been set incorrectly for the particular route that I was driving.

Have you tried the TS Forums on Steam? There are a number of very knowledgeable people there who are able to assist with the sort of problems that you are having.

23. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

Well John I did respect your opinion of TS2018 until you said Trainz was a better sim, you must be joking, I have had both sims more or less since they were released. I purchased Trainz New Era about 3 years ago and they still have not solved the hundreds of bugs it contains, Give me a route and scenario that you are having problems with and I will give it a try.

Mike

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. ProfCreeptonius

John Murphy I'm sorry to have to say this but you consistently reject to give specific details. We, or I cannot undertake anything if you tell us Aaaaah half of them are borken what tha hell!?!?. Furthermore, what you claim to have changed nothing is impossible. Something must have changed, or else you wouldn't be having the issues. Please answer my questions very accurately and specifically so that we have material to work with. If you reject, I'd be forced to assume that you're making everything up.
    Please keep in mind, I'm not angry or mad, I'm trying to help you and just telling you what you must do to allow us to help you to our fullest potential.
    What I'm asking isn't out-of-the-ordinary, Pure nostalgia rightfully requested the same information.
    Alrighty then,
    Thanks to all
    Cheers
    ProfCreeptonius

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. John Murphy

I have been playing Trainz since 2006 and I have never once had any problems with it. It's an incredible game that introduced me to train sims. Yeah, TS has more pre-made routes and better looking graphics, but Trainz definitely has a much better route editor, much more content, and a lot of it is free. If you're good enough at world building on that game, you can really bypass the bad graphics and make something look pretty realistic. No, I am not joking. I think Trainz is a better sim.

Lol, now where's all my beautiful haters with the downvotes? XP

26. ProfCreeptonius

John Murphy
    Due to your consistent refusal to provide details I shall henceforth consider your complaints false.
    You were asked often enough.

Why did I even waste my time...
    Prof.

• Like Like x 1
  27. ARuscoe

Then your definition of sim is different to mine.

• Like Like x 3
  28. John Murphy

The only thing I have changed in the game is buying more routes and trains from steam. I have never installed content from any 3rd party sites since I got this game. I have downloaded Workshop content in the past, but I did a complete reinstall using DTG's instructions since then and I have not downloaded any Workshop content since. As far as what routes I'm having trouble with, the ones in question are South Wales Coastal (crashes within 5 minutes no matter what I'm doing in the route), North Jersey Coast and Morristown (sometimes works if I clear the cache every time I go to drive the route, but still crashes often), North London and Goblin (same as the NJT route) Pacific Surfliner (crashes on startup) South London Network (crashes on startup), New Haven-Springfield (crashes at random), Sacramento Northern (crashes whenever you switch to an external camera), and GEML London Ipswich (crashes whenever I drive an eastbound run out of London at random places on the line). I also bought a new gaming PC back in September, but this problem was also happening on my old PC too, with the same routes. I highly doubt it has to do with the specs of my machine, because this new computer is powerful enough to run TSW at max settings with no problem. I've also tried lowering the graphics settings for TS, but the crashes still happened.

I've submitted countless tickets with DTG about this, going through their whole list of troubleshooting methods countless times. Obviously nothing worked, because otherwise I wouldn't be complaining about it here. Also, DTG said they were unable to find a fix on their end. This is what spawned my deep distrust of DTG, because it seems as though they offer broken products for top prices. And by "broken" I mean anything from minor glitches to game breaking issues like this. I paid good money for these routes and if I can't use them, then as a paying customer I feel that I should be given either a fix or a refund, along with anybody else who has this problem. I know for a fact there are others.

29. John Murphy

Maybe if you were patient enough, you could have waited a few minutes for me to wake up, see your message, and type up a detailed reply. It's up above if you want to read it. If you still consider my complaints false, then that's your problem.

30. Michael Newbury

John Murphy,

I am not sure what your problem is but I am not experiencing issues you claim to be having. I have had one save dump, and it was due to someones workshop file being corrupt. Trainz is nice but is no where near what TSxx is.

People in the community are trying to assist you with your issues but you seem to refuse the help. I would suggest instead of being so negative to everything and everyone, take the help otherwise your problem will just go on unresolved.

31. John Murphy

I gave you all the details I can as far as routes are concerned (which ones they are and how often they crash). If you want my specs, here's a DxDiag. Just because this game works for you, doesn't mean it works for everybody. And (because I know this is what most people think when somebody complains about a problem like this) no, I am not running the game on some old dinky EMachines computer from 2001 with Windows XP. The DxDiag will prove otherwise. Also, it may say that the GPU drivers are out of date, but I made this DxDiag back in January or February I believe. I always update my GPU drivers as soon as an update is released.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  32. Michael Newbury

John,

Thank you for providing with the first step of trying to assist you in resolving your issues. After looking your dxdiag what you have for a system more than meets or exceeds the requirements for the sim.

The one thing I would ask you to do is check and make sure your graphic drivers are up to date, if you have already done this prefect.

33. Michael Newbury

One other thought has come to mind it maybe possible that one the memory simms either on the video card or on the motherboard may be bad. Just throwing that out there as another possibility.

34. ARuscoe

John, given that you have only just started giving the info required to do what you're asking, why the downvote?
    I haven't downvoted anything you have said or done no matter how much I disagree...

35. darujhistan

darujhistan Member

The problem is John ........ DTG will not offer you a refund or a fix because there is nothing wrong with the sim for the majority, the problem more than likely lays else where, which is why they could not help you fix the problem.

Computers can be complex things, specially when they go wrong, it could be your Antivirus interfering. I bought a brand new PC in Feb this year, it kept on crashing, going to blue screen, I could of blamed the company that made it, expected them to fix it, but we found out that the Antivirus was at fault.

Keep on blaming DTG will not get you anywhere, you need to look at the whole picture.

• Like Like x 3
  36. John Murphy

I'm not "refusing" anything. I don't know where people keep getting that from. People ask me to explain my problem, I explain it to the best of my ability, then without giving me any advice, they automatically assume that I'm "refusing" help or they just don't respond at all. Another thing I want to point out (not just to you but to everybody here) is that just because YOU don't have this problem, doesn't mean that nobody else has it. As a matter of fact, I was having this same issue about 2 years ago with the original North Jersey Coast Line route and DTG fixed it about a month later with a patch. I didn't do anything on my end. The game worked fine for about a year and then the problem started again out of nowhere. I tried reporting it to DTG, following all of their instructions and they still have yet to fix it. Also completely disabling my antivirus was one of the things I did to try and fix the problem at DTG's recommendation and it still didn't work. The game crashed about 3 minutes into driving.

I have the right to blame DTG as much as I want because I honestly believe they're neglecting the problem. If they solved the same problem with a quick patch before, why can't they do it this time? If they don't like the negative feedback, then that's their problem. That's what they should expect if they sell broken products.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  37. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

John i am sure everyone on here would love to help if they could, and i think you are a valuable member of this forum, backed up by the fact you have 123 likes.
    I have loaded South Wales Costal Route 3 times without a hitch.
    I have completed "IV19 Holyhead to Cardiff" and IW95 Cardiff to Holyhead scenarios without a problem.
    The horn on the loco is poor you can hardly hear it in camera 2.
    I have a railworks folder about 300gig including hundreds of third party add ons.
    I use only Windows Defender running on Windows 10 Home Premium.
    I will run the other routes you have had problems with and report back.

Mike

38. hightower

hightower Guest

I think the thing you’re not getting is that that, in fact, is very much the case. It’s a bit of code, it doesn’t vary from machine to machine. I’ve got 4 of the 8 routes you mention and I have NEVER had an issue with any of them. If there was a fundamental issue with the game then that wouldn’t be the case.

So we’re all using the same routes, downloaded from the same place and no one else is having these issues meaning that we’re left with 2 variables...you and your machine.

Clearly you’ve used TS over a long period so it’s probably reasonable to rule out something you’re doing, but you’re having this same issue at the same time across a number of different routes. The only explanation, therefore, has to be that there is either a hardware or software issue with your machine. If you haven’t already done so may I suggest you do the following;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-to-test-your-computers-ram-for-problems/amp/

Importantly though, you understand that DTG can’t fix something that’s not theirs to fix right?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  39. darujhistan

darujhistan Member

First of all John, yes there are people out there who have the same problem like you, you are quite right, but maybe for different reasons, yesterday someone on this forum got there's up and running by doing a complete installation of TS with the help of DTG.

I've seen some of your other posts on here, and you do have a dig at DTG when you get the chance, being like that will not help your situation, it will only hinder it. One of the things you do not seem to understand is, that YOUR DTG PRODUCT IS NOT BROKEN, because it works for the majority of us, how can DTG fix something, when there is nothing to fix. If you were only having a problem with just one route, than I would understand, but you seem to have issues with most products, if not all, which leads me to think there's a problem with your PC, or your TS is not installing correctly.

We have certain rules in the UK about downloads, consumer rights etc, that all downloads must be :-
    • Of satisfactory quality
    • Fit for a particular purpose
    • As described by the seller.
    if not, DTG would go out of business, simple as that.

So please stop being negative towards the ones who are trying to help you, a bit more understanding would not go a miss. Thank You.

Now, if I was you, I would do yet another complete clean installation of TS, maybe you did not do it correctly, make sure there are no files left in your Railworks/TS folder, you need to do a defrag and disk clean too, I would do the same for Steam if TS is the only game you have installed.

Where do you install Steam and TS, what drive?

Look at all the files in TS and Steam, see if there's anything not quite right, maybe a missing file or a duplicate file, anything that might be unusual, not right.

Maybe there's a problem with your PC, internet provider etc, if so, none of us can help you with that, a while back a number of us who have Microsoft, there was an update that interfered with TS, like I have said before, PC's are complex machines, it could be anything, I may not be experienced enough, but I am trying to help.

We want you to enjoy TS just as much as we do, after all this is why we are all here.

• Like Like x 3
  40. adkad

adkad New Member

There are a number of fixes for this issue on the steam forum. It happened tome once and it turned out to be a workshop scenario I had downloaded. Once removed from the game and unsubscribed the sim worked fine. There are some issues with workshop that could be addressed but until then fixes for removing corrupt workshop scenarios are in the steam forum.

• Like Like x 2
  41. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

John, I have tried most of the routes you mention, without any of the problems you are experiencing. I will admit some 3rd party routes such as North Lincolnshire, it seems to be crashing the sim more than when i first install it. but that is not a DTG problem.
    Mike

• Like Like x 1
  42. Mikel

Mikel Member

Hello, I am the creator of this thread, and Train Simulator fails even with the most powerful computer, since my computer far exceeds the requirements that Train Simulator needs. I have nothing installed from third parties and some scenarios created by DTG are almost unplayable, since I do not exceed 10 - 15 FPS and I repeat, that my computer exceeds the necessary requirements to run TS. and having a good computer should not download the graphics. When it comes to creating scenarios, it is impossible to put 5 trains in the same place without the message "Save Dump" or "Out of memory", to the proofs I send that the DTG scenarios are almost empty because they also The same thing happens to them, but instead of fixing all those problems, they prefer to expose it to the sale and do not care what the client says.

43. ARuscoe

Which ones? I am playing on an INFERIOR machine (a surface Pro to be exact) and except for some frame drops I don't get lock ups or dumps, but then the ONLY thing on the unit is TS2018

Can you detail the consists? "5 trains" could be 5 units, or five groups of multiple items all needing to be loaded and move simultaneously. Considering I've read ov consists up to 200 carriages in length without dumps I don't think this is the game.

44. Mikel

Mikel Member

I have the feeling that they pay you to defend them, when perfectly they are continually xxxx it.

45. ARuscoe

Absolutely not, though I do happen to live around the corner from their offices...
    I am trying to get to the point that people can diagnose your issues, and being an IT person myself I know that "It's broke" is the start of a process of finding out "which bit" before moving forward.
    As a complex program that interacts with many things between you clicking and the train moving on screen it could be any of those parts or something completely unrelated that causes the result of that darn dump...

46. darujhistan

darujhistan Member

Sorry, but what you are telling us is, you have a more powerful computer than I, mine I would guess is average, maybe a little above average, and yet TS works fine for me, but not you, doesn't make any sense. TS is a bit slow on some routes than others I will admit, as for scenarios, I have only made one scenario myself for Great Eastern, and had no problems during it's making. Maybe you need to buy a lesser powerful machine if that's the case.

Mmmmm, I think this thread has taken it's course, we seem to be going around in circles here.