PC Crr Tunnel Portal Level Of Detail Issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TheShotte, Apr 29, 2021.

1. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

I don't understand, what happened with the tunnels. TrainSim-Matt stated in the video that a cool thing about CRR is that the camera is no longer locked to 1st person inside tunnels (there was even a core update to support that), and in the actual release, this is not the case. But more importantly, Tunnel Portals looked properly in the Route Preview compared to the actual release version, which may be because they haven't done the tunnel LODs yet, or outright removed them from that version because of the geometry issues. In the final version, this is what every tunnel portal looks like on the route - notice the holes and poor geometry. I recommend opening the image in a new tab, and going full screen.:

Release Version LOD2
    [​IMG]
    Release Version LOD1
    [​IMG]

And naturally, LOD0 looks like it should as it's the original model.

Preview Video
    [​IMG]

As you can see above, even though the camera is further away from the tunnel portal than it is in the above screenshots of the release version, the tunnel still looks round and there are no holes in it.

You can watch that specific part of the video here, in which Matt can be heard saying that the camera will also not be locked to first person in tunnels, which we all know now as simply being false. Also, for some reason when you embed YT media here on the forums, the timer is weird. The conversation starts at 21:25 into the video.

Matt: "One of the nice things is you're able now to, uhm, actually set the camera and watch trains going into and out of tunnels without it snapping you, uhh into..."
    Sam: "Given that you can now use your camera in tunnels..."

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  2. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

The tunnel camera thing - I had missed that a tech issue meant that the camera change had not yet been integrated into the shipping codebase because an issue had been found on a couple of other routes. Once that issue is resolved then this can be integrated. It's coming, and apologies for the misinformation.

Matt.

• Like Like x 7
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

And a good thing, since certain services (Berta Coal Loading, for one) get very, very dicey when you lose external camera.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheShotte

What about the bad LOD though? I mean, not for nothing, but 100 meters out the tunnel entrance looks like a triangle. I will find a better screenshot, that one is too dark.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  5. TheShotte

I'm sorry for the tagging gents, but DTG Protagonist just said on stream the tunnels have no issues, so I felt compelled to point this out to him. In case it's difficult to see in the images above, I created this gif which transitions through the LODs.

[​IMG]

Also, TrainSim-Matt the issue can be fixed quite easily. Right off the bat you can tell that the tunnel entrance is separate from the tunnel middle, because Unreal would never put a hole in a mesh like that, and I'm really surprised you guys even made this mistake, as meshes like that can cause lightmap issues (weird lighting and light bleeding). To demonstrate:

Default Welding Threshold of 0.00
    (vertex welding disabled):
    [​IMG]

Welding Threshold at 0.1 (vertex welding enabled at 0.1U tolerance)
    [​IMG]
    (take note I amplified the tris reduction in the above images for effect)

I don't mind the fact that the tunnel is a triangle, that part doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the fact that you can see the Sky Box through through those holes, and when it's bright out, it makes them super visible. Pretty please fix. Also, you can copy and paste LOD settings from one tunnel to the other 384 (slight exaggeration) that are there for this route.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  6. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

…pretty impressive illustration, great job- let’s hope this is enough for DTG to take it from here and do something about it. (Pretty ironic- that a customer is taking the time to effectively show the developer how to resolve an issue on their side… kudos for the effort you put into this.)

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. TheShotte

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. Although in this case the customer is a fellow game dev, and this is a bit of professional courtesy.