Which Keyboard

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by byeo, May 19, 2021.

1. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

So I’ve finally managed to pick up a PS5 in preparation for Rush Hour and the next-gen upgrade. I’m now thinking about picking up a wireless keyboard but not sure if all “do the job”. I don’t want to pay loads but I want it to do the job if that makes sense. What can you do on a keyboard in TSW2 which makes things easier than using a controller for everything?

• Like Like x 1
  2. lmcpfc2014

lmcpfc2014 Well-Known Member

You can use multiple camera angles and move faster with the camera, enable safety systems and turn on lights etc. But you can't zoom in. I've connected an old apple keyboard to my console but I don't use it much. If you are buying a keyboard, don't spend too much on it

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Any keyboard should work if it has a USB dongle.
    I don't think bluetooth keyboards without a dongle work as standard on PS4/PS5.

As far as what can you do with a keyboard, there's quite a bit you can do.

DSD/TPWS alerter reset
    Horn (both tones assigned to different keys)
    Bell (for US locos)
    Cablight or flashlight on foot
    Ditch lights
    Wipers
    Switch cabs without walking to each end

You can also change cameras and zoom ahead of the train in free camera mode (using the shift key and either direction keys on keyboard or the controller analog stick).
    You can also bring up the screen to show your schedule (stops and timings etc) and bring up the map.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

All of the functions posted by my fellow forum members are there. One thing I‘d like to add is that if you fancy a bit of PZB action, a keyboard gives you different buttons for SIFA and PZB Acknowledge (in addition to PZB Release and Befehl 40). That means that the TRAXX locos will no longer shout Zugbeeinflussung every time you have to press the SIFA button :D

I picked up a keyboard for 10€ when TSW 2 came out and it hasn‘t failed me yet. You should definitely not go crazy with how much you spend on a keyboard for this.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  7. F.Barnes

F.Barnes Active Member

There are 2 negative things about this keyboard:
    1. slow/bad radio connection.
    In my case the Playstation is placed behind my TV.
    Every time i switched fast between space and n-key (Horn high/low) let me hear ..... nothing.

2. If you play german routes with PZB,
    "PZB Wachsam" and "PZB frei" (on the right side of the keyboard) are only useable with the FN-Key (on the left side).
    It is very annoying that you have to use both hands to press 2 Keys for PZB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I won't have experienced those problems because my PS4 is right in front of me under the TV and secondly, I don't bother with German routes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. borg#1850

Thanks for the heads up F.Barnes. What keyboard do you use then? My PS4 is next to my TV Unit so "In Sight" so to speak. I wonder if you can program the game to use different things, saying that I have not looked.

10. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Buy a wired one if you can, I have a wireless one and it's just so annoying, it's not as responsive, sometimes some key strokes don't register and the fact you have to change the batteries just adds another inconvenience, of course I might have a cheap and nasty model, but I already paid more than I paid for my cheap and nasty wired keyboard which just works.

• Like Like x 1
  11. borg#1850

My only thing is a wired one is not an option. People or Animals would trip over the wire. I will see how I go with the one I have ordered. It is direct line of sight, so should be ok.

• Like Like x 2
  12. F.Barnes

F.Barnes Active Member

2 weeks ago i bought this one: (german layout)
    https://www.amazon.de/dp/B085XGB1J5...t_i_TDFQ7D23KDZ2SAH2DAZB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It is not as big as a full size keyboard and the important PZB keys are directly usable.
    The keyboard responds very fast, no problem with the high-low whistle (fast press space/n-key).

Negative:
    Couldn't find this keyboard without a mouse, so i've paid for something i can't use.

After an upgrade with my brother label maker, its easier to find the important keys. ;)
    Leadsail_KF-10_upgrade.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
  13. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

Does the PS5 pick up the signal from a bluetooth keyboard or do you have to plug a receiver into one of the usb sockets?

14. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Well-Known Member

I'm usually a lurker in these forums, but I bought myself a keyboard for my PS5 last week, and I wanted to chime-in on some questions I've seen in this thread.

• Not all keyboards are compatible with the PS5. Via a Google search though, I found this list of keyboards that are verified to work.
    • Bluetooth keyboards require a small receiver plugged into one of the PS5's USB ports.
    • The smallest keyboards, like the TKL (Ten-Key-Less) often exclude dedicated Home, End, and Delete keys. Which, as already been mentioned, requires a two-button press for things like PZB/LZB.

After I bit of research, I chose the Logitech K360. I haven't used it much yet (I might copy F.Barnes idea first, and get a label maker), but it works, and it's nice to have the free camera in Immersive controls.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  15. borg#1850

Looking forward to your comments on what you do. Is there by chance a list of what keys would do on a keyboard, just a rough list. As you both say there are even difference between keyboards. I was wondering if my Blue tooth keyboard I use with my tablet would work but not sure a PS4 has blue tooth functionality.

16. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Well-Known Member

There's a thread on this forum with a list, which is what I've been using. Someone on Steam has also collated the various TSW2 manuals here. I'm either going to end up printing one of these out, or just stick labels on keys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I use the (wireless) Logitech K400 with TS2012, which has a trackpad and a handy second Left Mouse Button in the top left. I spent ages and ages (and lots of cash) finding a keyboard that would work as a good standby for the functions that are not on the XBox 360 controller.

Logitech K400.jpg

BTW - Does anyone using a keyboard on Playstation for TSW 2 know if they have mapped both of the braking keys yet? They were not both mapped, for PS4, in TSW (2020), and if they are not mapped now for TSW 2, then you will still need a DS4.... (or PS5 controller) to control the brakes. You can also get a keyboard that will mount to the DS4, which might be a good solution (£30) if you now have a spare DS4 knocking about.

18. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Yes, they are mapped. They work for me on PS4 and PS5 on my keyboard.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. F.Barnes

F.Barnes Active Member

This was a TSW2020 problem. Since TSW2 it was gone. I bought it day one on PS4 and was very happy about that.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  20. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Ah, okay - awesome.

And there was something I forgot to mention about keyboards - not all of them have a home marking - a raised indentation on the "F" key (usually "F" for UK keybaords). If you play TS2012 or TSW 2 in the dark (or with a PSVR headset on), then that indentation is absolutely crucial - a middle row key must have this indentation if you want to touch type from the sofa, in the dark. LOL... as I do.... ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  21. borg#1850

All keyboards have this for blind people to be able to type and know the J key ;) Something that helps us sighted people play games in the dark.

22. Doyden

Doyden Active Member

I bought a Bluetooth Logitech keyboard for my PS3 more than ten years ago. It's just standard Bluetooth with no dongle. It does have PlayStation markings, e.g. O on Escape, X on Enter etc so there may be some built in compatibility.

I can confirm though that this Bluetooth keyboard without a dongle works just fine on my PS4 with TSW. The only downside on mine is that it sleeps after about 10 minutes so if you've not given it any input for a while you have to wait a second or so for it to wake. You have to bear this in mind and make sure it's awake if you're about to need the controls.

• Like Like x 2
  23. borg#1850

I might have to give my Bluetooth I use for my tablet on the PS4 then. Although I do have the wireless dongle on on the way but it was only £10 free delivery.

24. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

If buying a keyboard-
    make sure to get the one in the correct language- nearly bought a us one instead of a uk one!
    Will you just be using the wireless keyboard on your ps, or will you use it on other devices? If so note that it plays up and will become unresponsive- u can fix this by taking it a mile out of your home before bringing it back.

I have a 25 pound Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. Good quality.

25. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

My old Logitech PS3 Bluetooth keyboard gave up the ghost a couple of months ago so I've been on the hunt for a decent replacement.

Got a Jelly Comb foldable bluetooth keyboard yesterday. So far, little complaints (the function keys aren't their own thing and sit on the number keys) but easy to pair direct to PS5 with no dongle required (I don't have enough USB ports as it is) and, after a day's shift, I can fold the keyboard up for easy storage.