How Would People Feel If They Made Modern Versions Of Historic Routes (and Vice Versa)?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by james64, May 19, 2021.

1. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

As much as I dislike Diesel Legends for GWE, it did make me think about what it would be like if DTG did the inverse and made a route look more modern. Imagine a modern version of Northern Trans-Pennine with Class 185s, or the Tees Valley with 150s and Pacers. While I definitely would prefer new and original routes, I would still be happy to see something like this.

Likewise, what would versions of SEHS (which they'd have to run to Victoria) or East Coastway be like if they were set in the 1970s or 80s?

• Like Like x 2
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea since NTP would have gained AWS TPWS for Class 185 & 802 the latter getting a reskin for Great Western Main Line. There is an easier method of doing it to Tees Valley Line is giving Class 150 & Pacers the proper 1980s paint and selling them as a bundle Tees Valley 1980s DMU because in real life that's what you would have seen on that route in 1989.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I actually liked how Train Simulator both featured a modern Riviera Line and a historic Riviera Line, it clearly shows how the route has changed over a few decades. So I'd really like something like that.

Not sure how much I like something like the Diesel Legends Pack with historic rolling stock running on a modernized route. I think I'd prefer a few more railtour services running heritage trains during a modern day timetable.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

SEHS wouldn't have to run to VIC, if they ran on from Gravesend they would terminate at Charing Cross or Cannon Street

5. dedh98mosqueto

dedh98mosqueto Active Member

It would be interesting to see. However there are some routes that haven't changed over the years.

6. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Think it would be too time-consuming to create two versions of the same route, especially when one route on its own sometimes feels rushed. I think stick to one route and choose the time period from the start as I'm in favour of having a variety of different routes to drive regardless of when the timeframe is to keep the game feel fresh.

• Like Like x 3
  7. dedh98mosqueto

What if it was an add on?

8. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Ah my mistake, it's a part of the network I'm not as familiar with, let alone two or three decades before I was born.

9. ARuscoe

I live in Gillingham now, but lived in Gravesend for 17 years. If they WERE to actually backdate the track, besides removing springhead junction they'd also have to remodel Gravesend itself, as it was two platforms with two through lines, and the old crossing bridge about half way down rather than the current spanning bridge with lifts they have towards the Western end now

10. dedh98mosqueto

It is fine james64. I understand.

11. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this topic more, depending on the actual timeframe between the route set in the modern period versus 30, 40 or 50 years ago is that some stations would have to vanish if they were not built yet. For example, on ECW I believe Moulsecoomb Station was only opened in 1980 so if the route was redone as vintage it would have to be removed, and knowing DTG that wouldn't happen. So, again another downside to have the same route in two different time periods.

12. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

It's unlikely it'll happen soonish, but they did it for Train Simulator in the past. Twice.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/..._The_Riviera_Line_ExeterPaignton_Route_AddOn/
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/...in_the_Fifties_Exeter__Kingswear_Route_AddOn/

and

https://store.steampowered.com/app/65244/Train_Simulator_Woodhead_Route_AddOn/
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/...oodhead_Electric_Railway_in_Blue_Route_AddOn/

So never say never. It'd be a full fledged route add-on, rather than a Diesel Legends-alike 'gameplay' add-on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

I've thought about this, and my thought was 'I wonder if UE/TSW could support route tile substitution in a similar way to it supporting loco substitution?'
    If so they would only really have to change a few tiles for the major updates. Much of rural England hasn't changed overmuch in decades

• Like Like x 1
  14. dedh98mosqueto

I just realized is that this is pretty much Diesel Legends, but for all route and for past and future.