The Canadian Capital

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Cyclone, May 20, 2021.

1. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Greetings. I have emerged from over in the Train Simulator part of the forum to forward an idea that I once discussed in that ideas area. However, I'm going to flesh this out a lot more here because I have determined that this might fit the format used for TSW a bit better, particularly since passenger service is something of a rarity in Canada and this has some unique things for Canadian services that do exist. Let's get started.

The core of the idea comes from something called the Trillium Line. This is an eight kilometer line that serves five stations, in Ottawa, Ontario. The stations are:
    • Bayview, the terminus and interchange with the Confederation Line
    • Dow's Lake
    • Carleton
    • Mooney's Bay
    • Greenboro, the current southern terminus
    Here is a map of the area on the Open Railway map:

Img1.png

"But Cyclone", I hear you saying, "no one would pay even five quid for a route of roughly five miles." You're right. I wouldn't, either. But this is where I get to pull out the sales pitch, "But WAIT, there's more!" Turns out the Trillium Line expansion opens in 2022. This expansion services EIGHT new stations, as follows:
    • Corso Italia, between Bayview and Dow's Lake
    • Walkley, between Mooney's Bay and Greenboro
    • South Keys, continuing from the current terminus at Greenboro with access to the new Line 4 (the airport diversion)
    • Leitrim, the main path from Greenboro continuing roughly south-southeast
    • Bowesville
    • Limebank, which comes after a turn in a sort of west-southwest direction and the planned ultimate terminus of the line
    Let's look at Line 4, the new airport diversion:
    • South Keys, the terminus of this section and access to the rest of the service
    • Uplands, the middle station along the line
    • Airport, which is pretty self-explanatory
    Here's the map:

Img2.png

This expansion adds another 16 kilometers (9.9 miles) to the line, literally TRIPLING the length. This is now a 15 mile line. Not quite up to East Coastway's minimum for a DLC route (as it currently stands), but there's more to this. The Trillium Line is the only line in Canada to run on the PZB signaling system. The BR648, part of the TS2021 installation on the German route there, runs on this line. The extension will be enhanced by the addition of the Stadler FLIRT3, of which seven four-car sets are being produced as we speak. These will serve the main Trillium Line while the BR648s will be moved to the Airport Link (no confirmation that the main Trillium Line service is ended yet, but a good possibility since there are only two still available with train C3 taking damage and leaving service). Backdated services can be created with the Bombardier Talent BR643 if that were to be added, but this may be too much.

"But Cyclone," I hear again, "you are crazy. This is not worth the price of a full DLC." I will say again, "But WAIT, there's MORE!" How about we throw on the Confederation Line?

The Confederation Line interchanges at Bayview Station, the terminus of the Trillium Line. It continues west to its terminus at Tunney's Pasture (I'm NOT making this up). The main path goes east, and I won't give the full list, but goes through the main Ottawa station (also served by VIA Rail - I'll get to this), bypassing the Canadian Parliament buildings along the way. You get a chance to see where our governmental dummies do their jobs. The line continues from Ottawa to its terminus at Blair. That's another 12.5 kilometers (7.8 miles) added to the Trillium Line proposal. Here's THAT map, and this one is large.

Img3.png

Still not enough? The Confederation Line is ALSO being extended! This one is not meant to open until 2024-2025, so this is a chance to create prototypical services as they may exist and could also be a way to preview the potential services for the line (imagine driver training on the new line coming from a video game). The extension will go west of Tunney's Pasture to Westboro and on to its terminus at Moodle, with a two station detour to Algonquin along the way. East of Blair (and already marked green on the map above, with other abandoned railway beyond not involved), there are five new stations planned with several right in the middle of County Road 174, allowing for the look of motor traffic moving around you as you do your job. This line terminates at Trim to connect to a park-and-ride service. This extension adds another 27 kilometers with slightly more on the west side (15 kilometers versus 12 to the east). Have I met the minimum length requirements yet? :cool:.

Img4.png

What do you mean I should have led with that? :o

Rolling stock for the Confederation Line is the Citadis Spirit LRV, of which 34 were provided. It was Alstom's first modern light rail vehicle in North America, competing directly with the Siemens.S70, originally ordered for the Trillium Line and ultimately cancelled.

Services on both lines are frequent. You can expect services possibly 8 minutes apart on the Trillium in its prior form; I do not know about the upgraded times yet. Speed limits on the Confederation Line are a maximum of 80 km/h or 50 MPH (not sure about the Trillium, but with eight minute turnarounds, it may be similar), so it's not just some slow slog. You are going to have rapid fire station stops, typically at all stations.

Oh, and I'm still not done. That third image. You saw the VIA Rail line curving from below through Ottawa Station? Extending just beyond the map edges gives you the line to Fallowfield just to the south of the fourth image's yellow local line. Going further west is a local service to Arnprior, a terminus. .The main VIA line can be extended east-ish to Casselman. This gives a little bit of longer-distance driving for when you just want to chill and enjoy the drive without too much stopping and starting, because who has time to do that? Limited VIA service to several stations. Could theoretically keep going south of Ottawa to Smith's Falls, home of the Hershey Chocolate Factory (I've toured it), but now the map is getting too large. Better than too small, which I'm sure some of you thought earlier!

Oh, and you see all those spurs that connect to the light rail? Freight traffic can go through these two passenger lines even today. This used to be regular freight track. This passenger service for the Trillium only opened in 2001, with the Confederation delayed multiple times and finally opening in 2019. Two years ago. This is still NEW and even newer stuff is still being done. So yes, once in a while scenario makers may want to run a freight service through the line and make people wait at reds for the stations to retract their platforms and allow players through in their wider SD40 and such.

So there you have it. Lots of potential. Post your thoughts. I am interested in them.

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trillium_Line
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation_Line

• Like Like x 5
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

3. Cyclone

Notice I listed both because, in Canada, our road limits are in kilometers and most in Canada would know those speeds. But besides that, I know the conversion, and listed both.

4. driverwoods#1787

Ok then the Canadian government Transportation Ministry website uses miles per hour for trains because Canadian trains are required to meet United States Department of Transportation Federal Railroad Administration crash standards and speed restrictions. Sort of like to how VIA Rail Amtrak Maple Leaf Oakville NY Penn Station is run.

5. Cyclone

Yes. Which kind of takes away from the point of the thread: it's a route idea. Not a discussion of transportation policy. :)

6. driverwoods#1787

:) Got with carried that post earlier. The problem with Ottawa Confederation line is that it uses CBTC like IRT Flushing Line and Thameslink London Kings Cross. I wonder if the community would like a route with CBTC ATO. If so it's going to play like Haputstrecke München Augsburg where the S Bahn LZB acts like CBTC.

7. Cyclone

From what I am reading, I do not see the problem? It just helps with signalling, but I am sure it will not be perfect anyway. Signals are often broken in places. See, in TS, London to Brighton at Victoria and Woodbead In Blue at the end of the final scenario (a fixed version for the second exists in the Workshop).

8. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

Or don't do according to who ya ask. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Like Like x 1
  9. dedh98mosqueto

dedh98mosqueto Active Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but if they get the right era DTG wouldn't have to add that many new rolling stock and engines.

10. Cyclone

The Trillium opened in 2001 and the Confederation in 2019. If the latter is represented with the extension, the era is 2025. They could settle for the Trillium extension and not the Confederation add-on, at which point it's 2022 and would have to be in a three-pack as it would not be worthwhile on its own unless they do the full VIA journey from Brockville at the south end of the VIA line to Casselman (or from Fallowfield to Montreal via De Beaujeu Junction joining from Smith Falls. but that's possibly too long for TSW). If no extensions, we only have 18 miles of track and it's still 2019. We can't really avoid new stock here. This would be a good line to introduce new stock on and bring out a service that does not exist yet. The weakness it has is that the service is not 24-hour, which is why I suggested the VIA line and the freight options to go with the light rail. Otherwise, the four or five hours until opening at 5 a.m. would be rather quiet.

11. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

I think this is an excellent suggestion, with enough variety and potential for future expansion. Also seems perfect for the rush hour theme being developed. I'd buy it!

12. dedh98mosqueto

dedh98mosqueto Active Member

They would still need to make new liveries, a high hood engine, and streamlined passenger cars including an observation car that once was a part of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St Paul, and Pacific's Hiawatha.

13. mooseman#8630

mooseman#8630 New Member

4 words, you are a genius

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cyclone

Going to add this video to this thread. It doesn't use the names "Trillium Line" or "Confederation Line", but you can tell from the map that it's the exact same area, plus there is only the single German signalling-style track in all of Canada, meaning it can't really be anything else. This was posted yesterday.

15. driverwoods#1787

I watched the video and for the Trillium Line PZB it will be replaced by Positive Train Control meaning no Page Down PC Consoles with keyboard PZB Acknowledge PZB Release End Key PZB Override German Austrian Key Boards Entf. Positive Train Control when playing on console B button Xbox Circle PS4/PS5
    DLC Stadler Flirt Diesel made in Salt Lake City, UT. Citadis Sprint Confederation Line Hornell, NY where the Boston-Providence Avelia Liberty is assembled

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022