London Underground Metropolitan Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ghostface1701, May 20, 2021.

1. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Well-Known Member

map.png

Stations: 34

Route summary, paraphrased from Wikipedia:

Built from 1863 onwards, the Metropolitan line, colloquially known as the Met, is the oldest underground railway in the world. The line is 42 miles in length, running between Aldgate in the City of London and Amersham and Chesham in Buckinghamshire, with branches to Watford in Hertfordshire and Uxbridge in Hillingdon. Between Aldgate and Finchley Road the track is mostly in shallow "cut and cover" tunnels, apart from short sections at Barbican and Farringdon stations. The rest of the line is above ground, with a loading gauge of a similar size to those on main lines.

Train: London Underground S8 Stock, in LU livery

met.jpg

The stock currently in use on the line, the S8 Stock, is among the most modern on the London Underground, and features a combined Traction/Brake Controller in the cab, open gangways between cars, and a mix of longitudinal and transverse seating in the passenger area.

Overall, this line is distinctive enough from the Bakerloo Line to provide a very different experience in Train Sim World 2, with larger, more modern trains, cut and cover tunnels, and a large portion of the route at surface level. Highlights of the route include the Grade II* listed Baker Street station, and a ‘fast’ section of the route, where selected trains run non- or limited-stop between Finchley Road and Harrow-on-the-Hill. The line also shares track with the Hammersmith & City and Circle Lines between Baker Street and Aldgate, both of which use a seven-car variant of the same stock.

Potential DLC: London Underground ‘A’ Stock, in unpainted aluminium

a2.jpg

Introduced in the early 1960’s, and continuing in service until 2012, the A Stock provides a different driving experience to the S8 Stock, with separate power and brake controls, and a distinctive compressor sound. The stock also features luggage racks and solely transverse seating throughout the passenger area, due to the longer journey times possible on the line.

Other potential layers:

London Underground 1938 Stock

1938.jpg

Currently in development for TSW2 by Rivet Games, the 1938 Stock would be suitable for a handful of timetable services in the route. A 3-car unit of this stock, owned by Cravens Heritage Trains has run highly popular heritage services on various LU lines, including the Met.

Other trains that share the same tracks include the Class 168, used by Chiltern Main Line services north of Finchley Road.

While the Met has never been my local service, I have happy memories of each time I’ve used it, and it fits well with the upcoming ‘Rush Hour’ theme for Train Sim World 2. For this, and the other reasons above, I want to add my voice to others on this forum, and recommend the Met over other LU lines which have plainer service patterns, or spend most of their time underground.

Thanks for reading!

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Ghostface1701

I forgot to add pictures of Baker Street station, which in my opinion, is the best looking station on the London Underground.

baker.jpg

Although the Met doesn't serve these platforms, they are visible from the cab when approaching the station from the east, and are a short distance from the Met platforms.
    baker2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

I think that would be a very enjoyable route - and considering it started out with steam trains, that would be another option for them also - or an add-on.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Ghostface1701

Indeed. I actually got a see a steam train run a special service on the Met, it was quite an experience. It'd be great to see in-game, even as just an option in Scenario Planner.

• Like Like x 1
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

This is actually a classic train simulator 21 route that needs to be in train simulator world 2 to prevent another Rivet games disaster bring in the original creator for sister game train simulator 21 just trains. Line is operated with local skip stop services and express in the correct London Underground terminology that is all stations semi fast and Fast services. Local Skip Stop and Express are used on Metropolitan Transit Authority state of New York Subway.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  6. rhyttik

rhyttik Active Member

7. rhyttik

rhyttik Active Member

i also made a suggestion on this

8. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Just Trains is not in the partner program for TSW2 and DTG would probably prefer having the route available on Steam, not third-party. It would be nice to see this made, but JT may also feel it takes away from the sales of their existing and much more expensive route, and would make a lot more from one sale of it through their site instead of five on Steam at a lower price point. Don’t count on this, the Chiltern, or anything else from them happening unless someone else develops it.

Instead, they will keep working on a new SWE to Reading (our third Bristol to Exeter is to be part of it, and being welcomed because “the other ones suck”) and the Inverness to Perth line. I think they have one more in the works, too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. aya.rahman

aya.rahman Member

I live in Marylebone so this would be nice. Especially because it cost 84 pounds on TS classic.

10. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

This ties back to my reply above.

11. rhyttik

rhyttik Active Member

IK and if dovetail makes it then the line will be so much better

12. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

13. aya.rahman

aya.rahman Member

14. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

So it doesn't cost £84 then, TS+ELAP+Met+S8 does.