Playstation 4 Unreal Engine

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Nathan Kemp, May 4, 2021.

1. Nathan Kemp

Nathan Kemp Active Member

Morning

Is the PlayStation 4 going to get the update to the new unreal engine? In the Rush hour article it only mentions the generation platforms.

Regards,
    Nathan Kemp

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

All platforms will get the upgrade to UE 4.26 and not just PC and new gen consoles.
    It's part of the core upgrade and the yearly free update.

Rush hour is a paid for add-on though.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Turbojugend

Turbojugend Well-Known Member

I'm wondering how substantial this engine upgrade this might be, if it could possibly reduce or eliminate issues such as pop-up shadows, frame rate hiccups, etc. I'm certainly no dev so I don't have a clue.

• Like Like x 1
  4. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Would this new unreal engine really make any difference to us poor cash strapped PS4 owners ;) in terms of performance or whatever else?

5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m not expecting much to be honest, and I have fears too. Last year’s big leap in UE4 versions was supposed to bring improvements to what was already there but in actual performance the player experience was worse. TSW2020 runs better than TSW2 most of the time. Peninsula Corridor’s performance dropped significantly and is the worst example. Artefacts were introduced into the sound, whereby imperceptible stutters would alter the pitch of sounds briefly and this was seen on many locomotives. Some of that will be down to the process of bringing the old content into the new engine but it’s there on the new content too. The general stuttering is worse and the fuzzy trains thing never happened in TSW2020. Whatever improvements there have been, in the general look of everything, don’t really mitigate these issues for the player.

If some of those issues are improved in this smaller increment in UE4 versions then that would be great but it could also mean that the old routes are further away from being ideally suited to the new version and make them worse still. As we have also seen, the preservation crew updates to these old routes have taken an age and are not yet half way through. I would chance that a lot of the routes already worked upon will have to have more tweaks for this version. All I would want is for those routes to run at least as smoothly in the newest engine as they did in the one that TSW2020 used. The last update didn’t allow for much busier routes, as we saw with HMA on console, so I’m not convinced this one will either. I don’t want to be all doom and gloom but the upgrade could easily put a dagger in my optimism for the new content. There’s no point having new routes if it doesn’t work.

What concerns me the most is that with the last Unreal update, the previous version was left intact in TSW2020 for us to return to while the horror unfolded with each preserved content release, and that’s what I did with all the preserved collection routes and still do for a lot of content. This time the new version is all we’ll have for the routes released for TSW2. If it breaks stuff instead of improving it, we are kind of stuck with it, as we won’t have the choice to go back.

So I hope there will be improvement but the main thing I’m hoping for is that it doesn’t do the opposite.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  6. shhweeet#4292

Hum interesting thoughts for sure.

Tbh I’m more than happy with the running of TSW2 as it currently is. Apart from the odd stutter / frame freeze it all seems to run and look perfectly fine on my original PS4. Then again I’m a newbie to TSW and haven’t played TSW2020 for comparison even though I bought it for a cheap way to get some routes. Neither am I a serious tech gamer so I’m probably easily satisfied and easily pleased from the point of view of the general Joe Bloggs customer demographic. From my limited knowledge on such things this new engine and further tech updates are really only going to benefit those with the latest console like a PS5, then again I do believe the PS4 has a lot more capability than what’s been used so far by game developers up to now so who knows these tech updates might work and give an extended life to the PS4 old dog yet. ( Hopefully )

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...older consoles also benefit from a newer game engine. Of course higher graphic settings and frame rates aren't possible, but improved system performance and all new features as with the next gen successors.

I think the biggest problem at the moment is that there aren't enough next gen consoles on the market and the few contingents that are delivered are sold out very quickly. So for the most players it isn't easy to get a new PS5 and they have to keep using their good old PS4. Through the crisis there is also a lack of microchips. Sony would like to produce more consoles to meet demand, but the supply situation has become more difficult at the moment. That's also the reason why game studios do not produce pure PS5 titles yet, but still rely on coss gen compatibility for current games.

For now I'm still satisfied with my PS4 Pro, but constantly keep an eye out for the PS5.

8. ChxosHorizon

ChxosHorizon New Member

I don't wanna know how loud the ps4 fan will then be, when they update the core engine...

9. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Yes but not only PlayStation

10. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

So all Xbox players have enough money for all the dlc and a next gen console ? Wrong

11. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

If only something could be done about the comical bubble of shadow that follows you around I would be happy, one of the biggest graphical drawbacks of the game IMO!

• Like Like x 4
  12. shhweeet#4292

No idea I don’t have an Xbox and I was posting in the PlayStation section. However it would be logical to assume there are just as many cash strapped Xbox owners as well as PS4 owners so one would hope any gains in performance if any are noticeable on both systems?

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

As I've said on the forums numerous times, the PS4 owners and those who play on Xbox One are by far the majority of console players and will remain so for some time to come, likely well beyond the Rush Hour release. Also, it was these players who established the console market for TSW and, in all likelihood, allowed DTG to continue its development into TSW2. So PC owners are also indebted to those console players. Therefore, it would be a shame if these players were penalized performance wise by the forthcoming update and/ or were unable to play the new routes at a reasonable level. I'm pretty sure that DTG will do their best to optimize the game for all platforms. That's always been their stated policy.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  14. sukihersch

sukihersch Member

Yeah I really really wish something could be done about this, surely there is some creative solution/workaround even if it's not possible in an 'ordinary' or 'straightforward' way because of performance limitations. I did a run on RSN where I was in the shadow of the hill for most of the run, of course the track and scenery 200 metres away is fully illuminated by the full power of the sun