Other Total Mileage Not Counted Correctly

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JonnE, May 20, 2021.

1. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

I believe this issue was raised in the Playstation forum some months ago. As I believed I was getting closer to the 10,000 mile achievement on xbox as well I noticed it happening here also:

The total mileage counter is completely broken. When playing a service the miles driven are counted correctly for the route and loco but only radomly for the total counter.

This affects all routes, preserved or not, maybe all locos, and all types of services.

I tried it on several occasions yesterday:
    A freight trip on SKA added about 5 miles instead of the usual 35.
    A short run on SEHS with the 465 from Rochester to Gillingham added 0.1 miles instead of 2.3.
    Trips on ECW added about 10% of the actual driven distance.
    The already played freight run eastbound on SEHS with the class 66 added nothing at all, instead a trip on LGV added everything.
    I also noticed LGV services not counting though as I tried another one in order to get the achievement... everything else works fine, the services are counted, the locos get their mileage and the routes as well. It's only the total number which is messed up.
    When I count all route mileages together I come to an amount of about 13,500 miles driven in total, yet only 9,990 are recognized.
    Seems like those 10 missing miles are a long way to go...

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. madda253

madda253 Member

When I was on the PS4, this would happen as well. On other threads when this was mentioned there was a suggestion that speeding prevents miles from being registered.

3. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

I'm on PC and I noticed this as well. I think when you get close to the 10,000 you start keeping a closer eye on what mileage is being counted!

I can't work out whether the distances driven sometimes randomly just don't get updated for the achievements or whether different routes and locos are set up to count differently

It would be interesting to know exactly what this achievement counts in terms of mileage. We already know the on screen way point shows a straight line "as the crow flies" distance rather than the track mileage. This can lead to some strange instances on routes that curve where the distance to go increases if you are on a bit track that curves away from your destination.

In terms of the individual loco and route distances, I have noticed some strange discrepancies. . For example - I can't work out if some locos only count the mileage driven in timetable mode and ignore the distance in scenarios. It all seems a bit random sometimes. I can't remember which route it was now (it might have been SEHS) where the 10,000 achievement only seemed to go up by 1 mile for each service driven, as if it was counting services completed rather than miles driven.

I still often get loco distance achievement awarded within minutes of driving a new loco /route, a problem that existed in TSW 1.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  4. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

I heard that as well and kept an eye on it. Although I admit going a bit fast sometimes at least on the freight service which wasn't counted I was kind and even reached the maximum possible AP score... I'll try to collect some more data this evening.

5. madda253

madda253 Member

I noticed that when I was trying to get the class 43 hst trophy that It wasn't tracking. The route length is 35 miles so doing 5 services it was registering only 10 miles driven. Admittedly I was speeding within the first couple of miles so once I stopped it started tracking after that.

6. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

Another one: Peninsula Corridor, Service mode with F40PH.
    0.9 miles instead of 46.7 counted - no overspeeding or interruption during the run...

9,991.7 on the clock. :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. madda253

madda253 Member

Very strange, cant think of anything else

8. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

And another: SEHS, service mode, Class 465 Rainham - Gravesend. No overspeeding, not even in Strood thanks to the cool speedometer.
    13.35 miles driven and... 0.22 miles counted ?! O.o

This seems to follow no logic at all, it's not even proportional to each other.

I was thinking of adding some kind of database in hope to find some sort of pattern or anything but I'm starting to doubt if that would make any sense..

Wouldn't it be a better method if simply all miles of all routes were added together? Like in an Excel spreadsheet? :D

What came to my mind as well - I always was online and logged in to DTL while doing the runs.

9. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Active Member

Yes! I've actually drafted a post that I was going to post in this forum, for exactly the same issue. Individual loco and route mileages seem to be fine, but my total (currently around 7,000 miles) is extremely inconsistent. Playing MSB in the past 24 hours, the game added 0 miles to the total from one run, and just 7 in another. I don't speed, other than the occasional limit that catches me out for a few seconds. It happens on other routes too. I've tried re-installing the game with no DLC, playing offline, and deleting all my save files, except the main one. Nothing helps.

The 10,000 mile trophy is the only one left that I need, so this is incredibly frustrating!

Edit: I'm playing on PS5.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  10. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Oh wow - this thread is quite surprising to me. I thought that the "hidden miles counter" issue was well understood (maybe only in TSW 2020...?), in that:

- distance covered in Introduction/Training doesn't count for any of the counters, including loco/route counters; and,
    - distance covered when speeding is not counted for the trophy/achievements, but do appear in the loco/route counters (so you can get a massive discrepancy between the two), as the trophy counter is realy a count of 30x AP for 500 yds (no speeding), or 15x AP for 500yds (slight speeding) and 0x AP per 500yds (serious speeding).... (but AP for other actions do not add route miles).

And I have found this to be an extremely reliable explanation (in TSW 2020). Maybe it is different in TSW 2....?

Also - your data is really surprising..... so I am starting to think that maybe the DTL account is causing your issues, because I have never ever had DTL set up, and never seen this issue arise to the extent that you have (0.9 miles for 46.7 miles....?).. I will have a look, next time I am on TSW 2.

-------------
    NB: (for other readers) - the "bird's flight distance" indicator is not involved in distance counting in TSW

• Like Like x 1
  11. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

Finishing for today with 4.7 instead of 44.7 miles from an SPG run to Shaw Mine (timetable). Your idea with DTL, synthetic.angel , sounds reasonable to me since it wouldn't be the first weird issue with it and most likely not the last.
    I'll give it a try tomorrow evening and sign out there before having a go for the last 5.4 miles.. ;)

12. Ghostface1701

As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't speed (certainly not to the extent where the game wouldn't count 90%+ of my miles), and I tried playing offline, to no effect. There's something else going on here.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. synthetic.angel

Understood. I have a possible theory on what is going on here, although if JonnE is getting the problem on SKA, then I could be wrong (what freight came with SKA....native to the DLC...? Was there any...?).

My theory is that whatever route mile counting system is in place in TSW 2, that it isn't working consistently for original TSW 2020 routes (and/or locos) that were "preserved" into TSW 2, and/or for routes that were "ported" from TS2012 (like SHS). Maybe these routes/locos have suffered from inconsistent build/coding, when used in TSW 2....?

So - my question - to rule out the theory - is:

Does anyone have this problem in TSW 2 with any DTG route/loco combination that is a completely 100% new build for TSW 2 (excluding routes like CRR and SHS.....)...? For example SKA with the DB BR 406, or the Bakerloo Line with the 72 Stock...?

Oh - and a question I hadn't thought of... do miles driven under the Scenario Planner count at all...?

My overall theory is that there is some inconsistent coding of the locos/track - and this might be an issue that is present in very many route/loco combinations, and if DTG intend to fix it, then it will probably fall to TrainSim-Adam to look at, so I have tagged him here. I would also make the point that there could also be an interoperability issue with third party content - so this might need to be highlighted in whatever standard specs the third parties are required to implement (and test), if they are given such information (which I hope they are).

• Like Like x 1
  14. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

Sorry for the late reply but I may have some more evidence.
    After 8.6 not counted miles on Clinchfield (to be fair I accidently derailed but the progress was saved for route and loco) I tried an ICE service on SKA.
    This was counted correctly! The achievement finally popped in during the run as well.
    After the input of Ghostface1701 I didn't try to log out but stayed online.

Maybe we should try further of the TSW2 only rolling stock to see whats happening?!

15. synthetic.angel

Okay - your ICE run on SKA* is interesting, but my theory is still just a hypothesis.... so to fully isolate this issue, you'd need a LOT more data. You were suggesting a spreadsheet....? :)

If a number of people are prepared to get the data, for a variety of combos, then you might get enough evidence to get DTG to fix the problem (which could mean editing every single route/loco affected..., and then developing a build process/standard to prevent it happening again).

The spreadsheet would need to be populated with a row for each of these fields:

- Date of run
    - Platform (PC/PS4/Xbox)
    - Base game used (TSW/TSW 2)
    - Route
    - Loco/unit
    - Loco/unit variation (where a variation is possible, such as 4-car or 6-car LIRR EMUs)
    - Timetable Service ID (or Intro ID, or scenario ID, or scenario planner)
    - Was service done directly under Timetable, or under Journey (as these are different modules)
    - distance recorded at end in the summary sheet
    - distance unit used (km or miles)
    - distance delta for the loco (you need before and after data for each run)**
    - distance delta for the route (you need before and after data for each run)**
    - was a save game used (Y/N)
    - is a DTL account enabled (Y/N)
    - was the run completed when online or offline...?

You'd need more fields to conduct the analysis - the above is just the data input.

You'd probably want about 200 to 300 rows before you could isolate any sort of pattern..... ;-O

If you think that there are specific problems with specific routes or locos, then you could narrow it down, but you'd also need to do a few ICE runs on SKA (to rule that out as a fluke).

BTW - I agree with you and Ghostface1701 - that you can probably rule out online/offline with DTL, but I do wonder if when you have a DTL account enabled, whether this changes the way TSW and TSW 2 records stuff (because it prepares data to send to DTG's servers.... whether you are online or not). I dunno.... maybe it is the same data.... maybe it isn't...... I dunno. Maybe TSW 2 prepares DTL data anyway, whether you are signed up or not (I am not signed up to it - and I never will be, LOL....!).

*NB (Maybe Useful For Some): I think it is interesting that your achievement popped on a service that is native to the original build of TSW 2, and with the native rolling stock. Could be a coincidence - but it could also be a condition for the achievement/trophy to pop for TSW 2 (whatever mileage has been accumulated) - so others might want to give this sort of run a go. I have seen/suspected that these sorts of conditions exist with other similar trophies/achievements (like the SIFA one on RT).

**NB2: When compiling data for the spreadsheet, you'd need before and after data from the stats pages. To get this information you'd need to back out of the menu each time - and this could impact the results..... (it might impact when/how the stats page is updated, for example). So this would also need to be controlled for, by doing a number of multiple runs (say, using "Continue Journey").

It's a lot of work to get the data, and it would be a lot of work to fix it (probably over a long time, as each route/loco might need tweaks). I would be happy to contribute, say, ten rows over the next couple of weeks, or a few more over a longer time period. So you will need many more contributions/contributors - with reliable clean data.

NB3: If DTG are reading this, and they know what the problem is (as discussed in this thread), then now would be a very good time to intervene in this discussion.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  16. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

I feared you would be saying something like this... :D

But I would happily create and manage such a spreadsheet if there is such a demand. I maybe could contribute about 2-3 services a day.

But since it would be quite an effort I would also be grateful for a short response from DTG before starting it. If a staff member reads this please feel free to add further data categories if you think they are required!

17. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I also noticed that the "Complete a timetable" will be awarded even if I'm far far away from completing every service on a timetable. I suppose it also doesn't work/count properly?

18. synthetic.angel

To get a good understanding of possible issues you would need the 5000 or so data-points.... (x300 services). But you could narrow the exercise down by only looking at TSW 2... Whatever you do, you would need to give a data-set to DTG - so one way would be to take the data every time, and whenever it goes wrong with any individual service to send that data to DTG in an individual report - so... people send them, say, x250 reports..... or x2500 reports......;-O

Ideally, DTG would immediately take the first five reports seriously, investigate (using their own insight into the coding with their debugging and dev tools), reproduce, repair, and implement a new build and test process. But that sort of thing takes an organised approach.....

The root problem could be almost anything, like maybe counting (towards the trophy/achievement) only takes place when there is abundant free memory, which might be variable in any one trip, and it might vary when you do the same trip twice on different days. Also - a 3500 mile discrepancy could be caused if counting only takes place (for the trophy/achievement) when, say, you are in Timetable mode.

I will have a go and collect some data using the above elements (on both PS4 and PC), but I strongly suggest to anyone doing something similar to not bother doing this if it gets in the way of enjoying the game itself. Don't under-estimate just how much time it will take to document it properly, and any dirty data (at all) would render the whole exercise completely pointless.

And I will lastly say this (for now)......: TSW was known to have serious problems with trophies/achievements, and I am fairly sure that we were told that the approach in TSW 2 completely fixed these problems.... so to see this thread at all is extremely disappointing. I am almost tempted to do a "countless" ("above three") joke... but I really can't be Amazoned to try and come up with something funny about this........

19. Ghostface1701

Just to chip in with some partial data: I did a couple of scenarios on TVL this evening ('Steelworks Shunting' and 'Tank Trouble') , which added 0 miles to my total. Interestingly, I also did a timetable service on LGV, which seemed to count all the miles, even though I had a SPAD at the end. I didn't repeat these though, so it could be a coincidence.

Tomorrow, I'll try a Bakerloo Line run.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. synthetic.angel

So this could mean that "Scenarios" never add miles (I am sure that the "Training/Intros never ever do - not even to the specific loco/route stats). Or it could mean that TVL never adds miles (to the TSW 2 total), because maybe TVL doesn't ever talk to TSW 2 regarding this data, and maybe that is the case for other routes as well. Or it could be both. This would certainly account for the very large discrepancies reported by JonnE , and it could be useful to know, so that the question is partly answered with "some routes do not count".

I am also very interested in the "partial" reporting of distance, as this could point to a much more serious bug, or set of bugs. So, if you or JonnE could please give me example service IDs where only a part of the miles have been recorded (for a complete service where no SPAD or speeding has taken place, and where no save was used), then I will try to reproduce them (and I will test them two or three times each). I have a couple of very specific theories, for example, regarding freight on SKA, that I would like to test out - it would be good to also know what rolling stock was used for the SKA run.

If I can reproduce 5/35 miles on SKA (I need to know the service ID), or 0.9/46.7 on SFJ in the F40PH (I need to know the service ID), or 4.7/44.7 on SPG (your run - I need to know the service ID and loco used) then that would be interesting. And if I can reproduce some similar numbers, but not exactly the same, then that would be even more interesting.... And it would be even more interesting if I can reproduce these services with a number of miles recorded according to my choosing (which might be possible....).... ;-O

21. Ghostface1701

Sorry, synthetic.angel, I might shoot a few holes in your theories. I tried to note more detail today, and it seems miles do count for scenarios, and there's at least one case of a 'pure' TSW2 route not logging miles.

0 miles logged:
    Bakerloo Line - Service 201D-08

Partial mileage:
    Penninsular Corridor - Service 288 (possibly ~1 mile logged)

Most/all miles logged:
    LGV Méditerranée - Service TGV 9866
    LGV Méditerranée - Scenario 'High Speed Rain'

For the LGV scenario, I logged 57 miles according the summary at the end, but my total mileage only went up by ~53. Relatively minor compared to other routes, but there is a discrepancy.

Out of morbid curiousity, I added up the mileage across all routes and compared it to my logged total. There's a difference of ~1,000 miles. There's no way that's explained by certain activities not being counted intentionally. I'm sure JonnE and I would appreciate someone at DTG acknowledging this thread and looking into the issue.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. synthetic.angel

Shoot away.... ;-)

............ the only way to get to the truth is through solid data. And thank you ever so much for this post - I will have a go at BKL 201D-08 on PS4 and PC, as I want to see that for myself. It not only knocks out the "native route/loco" theory...........your BKL result also knocks out two other ideas I had to do with travel direction (BKL is almost always only one way) and camera position (BKL must have a camera in the driver's seat for large chunks of the route). So you have saved me a huge amount of time. Thanks (seriously).

More data might yield better ideas..... but.....

..... I now think that you are right, and that we are only going to make any progress with this if DTG jumps in. Preferably they could explain exactly how the miles are counted in TSW 2- basically releasing (or providing an accurate interpretation of) the code, including the pre-conditions (if any) for that code to start running.

Just acknowledging the problem, as you suggest, would be a good start.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  23. synthetic.angel

BKL 201D-08 reproduction Part 1 (PS4):

I could not reproduce your null result for 201D-08 on PS4 Pro. I ran the service twice, once in Journey mode, and once in Timetable mode. On both occasions the end of module summary stated that I had completed "7.0" miles (stated as one decimal place).

The Journey mode's run before/after delta (two decimal places) for the loco stats was 7.01 miles. The same delta (7.01 miles) applied to the route stats. But the before/after delta for the driver profile (to two decimal places) was 6.79 miles.

The Timetable mode's run before/after delta (two decimal places) for the loco stats was 7.03 miles. The same delta (7.03 miles) applied to the route stats. But the before/after delta for the driver profile (to two decimal places) was 6.92 miles.

But I didn't get a delta of 0 miles.

My two PS4 Pro runs had a difference of about 200 yards recorded +/- 16 yards (to two DP).... and I think I can account for the 185 to 215 yard variation (as a range).... but I would need to do quite a few runs and collect a lot of data to prove it to myself**). I will repeat the exercise on PC later in the week (maybe tonight), with the same service ID.

--------------

**NB: I now hesitate to put forward a theory - but I think the difference in the above two runs, to the yard, is about stopping distance accuracy.... But I didn't collect the relevant data within the module (I will do this for PC). I have no idea why you (Ghostface1701) get a null result..... if I had to guess, it would be that you stopped short of the very last marker at QP shed, and that this somehow invalidated your miles for the whole run... Maybe each run is made up of short sections with set lengths, and marker inaccuracy (or very bad marker placement in the game) gets severely punished if you fall short in any one section ..... or just the last section...? As they say in my favourite space-science programmes.... we just don't know.... ;-)

NB2: Just so you know (JonnE), I have doubled the number of data points that I am now collecting for each run. Let me know if you want a full list..... ;-O

24. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

I am quite certain that if TSW counts correctly it does so from the beginning of a trip since each specific miles trophy, regardless loco or total, popped in for me while driving and not at the end of a trip. I could even watch some level up trophies popping like this. So I figure if it works then right from the start...

Anyway, I haven't got all service details at hand by now but if you still want a test:
    U876-A was the trip on SPG
    2L24P and 2K26 on SEHS
    DB83113 with the 185.2 on SKA (careful, neither exciting nor realistic, you need coffee for this one)
    And on Peninsula Corridor it was No. 272.

I'm still interested in that spreadsheet and not afraid of it's size (I use my private laptop only for tax declarances which is VERY depressing so I would be happy for an alternative) - but a sign of support from the official side would be nice before. ;)

25. synthetic.angel

The loco miles trophies do pop in the middle of runs - very predictably (except Oakville) - I actually use the counter to line up the trophy screenshot within a minute or so of when I expect it to come. ..... ;-)

But the 10,000 miles player profile total trophy in TSW 2 looks like it might be a bit special, so to speak.... it is certainly different from the loco/route count - and as I have proved to myself, irrespective of speed-legal runs..

Well - each row from me takes about an hour to populate.... Pinning down how the counters work (or just how this one counter works) through trial and error could take a very long time... Thankfully, I really do like the Bakerloo.Line - but I will try and get around to the ones you have mentioned as well - did you do them in Journey, or Timetable though....? (....and this does make a difference for some counters, like "number of services").

NB: I am thinking about 30 data input columns for the spreadsheet (not including calculation or results columns).... so make that about 40 in total......... ;-O

26. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

ive got this problem and was just about to write up near enough the same thing

27. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

synthetic.angel : timetable. I don't like that journey doesn't COUNT already driven services as completed if you haven't started them via journey.. ;)

Bradley : ah, a fellow companion! :) which platform are you on?

By the way, did I forget some posts or has anyone experienced this on PC... ?

28. synthetic.angel

Okay guys - I think I have reached the end of my contribution to this topic for now. I have just done a third run (a Timetable run) of BKL 201D-08, and I have satisfied myself (for now), that there isn't much more for me to check.

BKL 201D-08 reproduction Part 2 (PS4 Pro):

I decided to repeat the timetable mode run of the above service, but with some new conditions, which were:

- starting ten minutes late, and ensuring that I was at least five minutes late at each station;
    - belting along at full speed, ignoring all speed limits; and
    - emergency braking to stops from 200 yards, so that the station stops were as inaccurate as possible (except for the last stop in the sheds, which I made sure was stopped on a dime).

The objective was to reduce my AP score as much as possible (I shaved off about 6000 AP from about 16000 available AP), or about 40% loss of AP. And the results, in terms of miles driven were as follows:

- the scoresheet said I had completed 7.0 miles (as always)
    - the loco odometer in the menu said I had done 4.26 miles
    - the route odometer in the menu said I had done 4.26 miles
    - the driver profile delta was 4.16 miles

My driver profile, and the loco/route tables only recorded 60% of the actual miles driven, or a 40% reduction - just like with the AP. This could be a complete conicidence, of course, but I doubt it.

Conclusion
    Consequently, I believe that the driver profile, loco route miles, and route miles that get finally recorded are in (almost) direct proportion to the AP that you get on a route (as a fraction of the maximum available). It's not a great solution to recording route miles (especially since some of the AP score has absolutely nothing to do with distance driven), but it isn't wholly unexpected.

This trial doesn't account for everything though - there are some other things going on. So I might well look at the runs that JonnE quoted earlier (and I have made a note to do so), because they could be interesting for a variety of reasons (they might point to route specific bugs in marker placements, etc.).

I could test situations where I know that you get no AP credit (say, if you re-start from a save, crash out of a route, or not complete a module)... and see if I get 0 miles for it.... but I think I can leave that for now. (And anyway - I never ever save in TSW 2, because that would require a file action on the HDD, and TSW 2's save game function is completely broken.... so I choose not to risk it... not after having my profile wiped out the first time I tried to save something in TSW 2........).

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  29. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

im on xbox series s

30. synthetic.angel

I thought I would give this one a go, as a freight service, to check out the AP theory. The hypothesis being that it should be possible to get maximum AP on a simpe freight service without much difficulty, because you are not usually marked down for stopping accuracy (and this can be carefully controlled anyway), and you can't be marked down for timing (at all). Consequently, the "distance" recorded should be accurate - perfectly accurate.

I prepped my coffee, switched on PZB to make the long run more bearable.... and....

- the service module reported that I had travelled 66.45 km
    - the loco stats odometer delta was 66.46 km
    - the route stats odometer delta was 66.5 km
    - the driver profile total distance delta was 66.41 km

The driver profile distance was therefore under-reported by about 40m, in a 66,450m run, which is an accuracy of 99.9% - or, indeed, 100% accuracy to two significant figures.

This was a normal run on PS4 Pro, in timetable mode.

31. Ghostface1701

Resurrecting this thread, as someone else had posted the same issue in the PlayStation forum, and over the past week, I've gone through most of the routes I own to see exactly what tracks and what doesn't. I'd be interested to see if other people with this problem see the same thing I do.

The below tests were done with a passenger service, either directly in Timetable mode, or via the Journey page. I wasn't thorough enough to note which vehicles I was using though, nor did I have time to do multiple runs.

Not tracked (0 miles):
    Long Island Rail Road
    Bakerloo Line
    Tees Valley Line
    Rhein-Ruhr Osten
    West Somerset Railway
    Ruhr-Sieg Nord
    Isle of Wight
    Hauptstrecke München-Ausburg​

Partially tracked (1-5 miles per service):
    Peninsular Corridor
    Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen
    Southeastern High Speed
    Main-Spessart Bahn
    Nothern Trans-Pennine
    Haupstrecke Rhein-Ruhr
    Tracked accurately:
    LGV Méditerranée
    Great Western Railway
    Rapid Transit
    In one oddity, I thought I'd noted that HRR tracked accurately, but running another service later, it only recorded one mile. Frankly, I'm tired of this, and at least I have a few routes that do work properly. Once I have my platinum trophy, I'll stop caring, as individual route and loco mileage is still being tracked accurately (I assume, and hopefully this continues).

• Like Like x 1
  32. synthetic.angel

Interesting grouping of routes. It seems that those that track the least (for you) are those with multiple slow speed sections, whereas those that track the most (for you) have long stretches of very high speed running.

Are you actually stopping at the stations......?

If you provide route/loco/service specifics, and recorded mileages, then I am very happy to try to reproduce the problem for you, on either PS4 or PC. But so far, every single service module that I have tried seems to record in a way that you would expect, broadly speaking.

If you are just chasing the platinum (and then intend to not play TSW anymore), then I would suggest finding a non-stop service on SKA in the ICE, and grinding that out. But if TSW is a game that you intend to play, then why not just play it until you get the platinum, and then the platinum will represent "real" gameplay....?

33. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just lucky, but my results show a different behaviour. And that means the problem will be much harder to identify ... (I'm really sorry)
    Let's start by saying that counting has never been something TSW has done properly, so in general it's not a new problem at all.
    If I add up all the miles driven from all the loco stats, the total is actually less than my total mileage ... :o
    BUT, the sum of miles driven from all route stats exceeds both.

Since I've already started building a large spreadsheet, I'll keep an eye on the mileage stats for a while, but I don't have much confidence that an obvious rule of thumb can be derived from this.

• Like Like x 1
  34. synthetic.angel

I think it should be possible to derive an equation that will tell you excatly what mileage will be recorded for the player profile, the route and the loco in different circumstances. You'd need data from about x15 runs, cross-referenced. It's pretty clear to me what is causing the issue described in this thread (although I could be wrong, of course).

35. ale#8132

ale#8132 New Member

Hi , i'm in the same situation! And i'm really upset due to this....

36. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

you can add Cane Creek to this list of problem routes. No miles registering against total mileage on this route either. Disappointing when so close to the platinum. Some bug has def been introduced somewhere

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed, and there is a reason for that... :)
    My recent observations have led me to the conclusion that miles travelled at quite a low speed are not counted in the total mileage.
    I have made several runs with different locos on the LGV route using the scenario designer, and the above statement is one of the results.

The most tedious run (it took more than 3 hours) was with a BR Class 08, as this loco cannot go faster than 20 mph (in fact, it starts braking automatically when it reaches 23 mph). After that I looked up the difference in mileage (zero), which is really strange on this route.
    Now, with the low speed limit for most of the track on Cane Creek, that seems to support my theory.

But there is another result from these trials that could have a similar cause: The debriefing shows the distance travelled, and it is not constant, but varies by more than 400 m for different locos. I believe, it may be caused by the difference in acceleration, and thus the difference travelled at a really low speed.

Also, the workaround posted for the RSN "Freight Exchange" scenario, where you are supposed to drive at extremely low speed, seems to take advantage of the fact that a loco that slow is not considered to be moving.

NB: Before I forget to mention it, it would be great to get some official response for this topic in general, and regarding my theory.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 3