Driving Class 20 Question

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by borg#1850, May 24, 2021.

1. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

Last night I started driving the Class 20 for the first time. The view forward along the nose is bad in real life, but at the angle that you sit in the seat in the game you cannot see forward, only out at an angle. The only way to drive it is with a camera outside. Is there a way off looking forward out the side window or moving your head in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pookiebarra

Pookiebarra Active Member

not that i can remember. they were not much better in real live, we always had them flat end first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. borg#1850

Yes I always remembered them nose to nose when I was on the railways in the 70's. I know people have been talking about being able to lean out the windows of locos, but not sure if it is particular locos.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Dont know if the view is available via joypad options. There is a view available on PC we access it via left right arrows to toggle driver views.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

I think if you switch to classic controls, in the camera menu there is a specific 'head out of window' view which gives a slightly better field of view ahead. There's not a controller shortcut in the immersion controls, and I am not sure if there is a keyboard shortcut to that camera view if you use immersion controls + keyboard. Probably the easiest way is to just use the external cam and position it where the driver's head would be were they leaning out.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think in game the Class 20 should always operate nose to nose when there is two of them and rear first when there is only one. Most of the time this seems to work, but it doesn’t in WSR for example, as the train goes nose first. I did include TrainSim-Adam about it when submitting improvements for WSR, so hopefully that feedback will be taken onboard.

• Like Like x 1
  7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I don't think they were intended to run nose to nose when introduced but were intended to run singularly. Don't forget the view out wasn't much different than many steam locomotives. I think they started to run them nose to nose when the work they were intended to do dried up, they were only classed as type 1, so probably for light freight and trip work, two of them obviously gave them more power. I think also, there were concerns about visibility too so the decision was to run them in pairs.

Obviously if you have one class 20 on a preserved railway it is going to have to run nose first in one direction.

• Like Like x 2
  8. borg#1850

Ok "All" thanks for your help.
    They did run as singles from time to time in the 70's. Was just trying to see if I could hang out the window. The view from the seat in the cab is restricted as you cannot look down the body of the loco, only a view at an angle out of the front window.

• Like Like x 1
  9. theorganist

Many of the steam engines in TS1 are the same. Some more recent ones from other developers have multiple views but some are fixed with a poor view unless you have the head out of cab view, which isn't always that realistic.

It makes you wonder if some of the developers have actually tried driving these engines in the sim!

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I think the best solution Monder would be to run them in pairs full stop. The end to end nature of WSR means a single 20 will be nose 1st in one direction and running a mainline railtour with a single 20 plus nose 1st would be rare.
    Unless of course there is a rewrite of the services to include turntable use.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Wait... what? Why have I been summoned here? :D

• Like Like x 2
  12. borg#1850

Of course as I have said somewhere else on the forum, are they train enthusiasts who happen to be programmers or mere programmers;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100% on this! It would be really great if they could try.... before we buy!

• Like Like x 1
  14. theorganist

I think a mixture but some might not have the interest or knowledge of certain eras. There might be more knowledge of current operations than BR period operations, I don't know.

Look at the arguments regarding the class 101 in the Great Western "Legends" pack. Blue/Grey class 101's in the 70's were extremely rare, there were about five of them on the Western Region as part of the cross country fleet and they were fairly quickly repainted white and blue when they were refurbished, but because they found a few pictures of those five on the Railcar association site, that meant they were the rule rather than the exception. Include the fact that many of the sets they did include were as running on the Western Region in the late 80's (many of the sets Reading acquired around 1987 came from the north and Scotland) then it is clear they research but not thoroughly. I am sure anyone on here who has a knowledge and interest in first generation DMU's could have helped them with research, I certainly would have been happy too.

I dread to think what might be shipped with the first steam period route, if we get a rake of mark 1's for use on a branch line I will be protesting very loudly!

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  15. theorganist

I suspect they drive heads out and think "well that's okay then"! Some steam engines in TS1 are impossible to drive from in the cab as you cannot see the signals, or by the time you see them you are passing them! Some of the more recent third party steam engines are much better in this respect. Some way of zooming in to focus on the forward facing windows would be useful.

• Like Like x 3
  16. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Ditto the BR 204, which cannot be driven at all head-in.

• Like Like x 1
  17. theorganist

I have that on my list to purchase at some point, but that is disappointing to read.

• Like Like x 1
  18. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

You can zoom in the view with a gamepad, or maybe you mean some other sort of zoom (say, from the windows...)...?

Either way - really poor visibility gives you the hardcore simulation option of driving/navigating according to the time on your timepiece (and your estimate of speed), and according to the conditions, with route and (possibly) traffic knowledge, and extremely cautiously.... ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  19. theorganist

Well in TS1 certainly it would be good to zoom in so you are only looking through the forward facing window otherwise things like the back plate or the cab side windows get in the way. I haven't found a way of doing so any way.

I haven't tried it in TSW as I have only ever driven the class 20 from the back end not the nose end.

• Like Like x 1