Microsoft Sale

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nwp1, Apr 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I haven’t seen a TSW routes or loco sale on the Microsoft Store for some long time. Has anyone got any inside information of when the next sale is to be, if at all.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

usually microsoft dertmines what goes on sale and when and for tsw its rare we get a sale

3. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

When I get finally the PS5 one day, I’ll return back to PlayStation for TSW,
    It’s annoying how Dovetail and Microsoft work together.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Redmanb11

Redmanb11 New Member

It seems with MS that only the more popular stuff ever goes on sale on Xbox, the less popular games not so much which kinda sucks tbh

• Like Like x 1
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yes- "work together" as in Microsoft decides when and if a sale happens, and DTG do as they're told- just like every other software studio in the world. M$ is the Godzilla of the software world: they do as they please, and everyone else obeys.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

I've been waiting for a sale for so long

7. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

I can't remember a sale since I first bought TSW2020 in May or June 2020, all I can recall is the slight reductions when TSW2 was released and some of the DLCs after.

8. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I think the last big sale we had was when I got a tenner off peninsular corridor in may 2020 , but the biggest sale we’ve had since then was in December when there was 15% off HMA

9. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

On the Xbox store. DLC does not go on offer that often for a simulator . It is normally the game+ dlc that is bundled together that goes on offer for example TSW2 Deluxe edition.

10. trinity#2970

trinity#2970 Member

yes its frustrating to see Steam and Playstation all have good sales and Xbox doesn't. Is this really determined by Microsoft? Ill guess we have to wait and see then. I know I have a wishlist for when the next sale comes out :)

11. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Believe so. Only so many slots every year to get your game in a sale. The complaint over DLC not going on sale happens with bigger games too (opting to discount a bundle instead of individual DLC). Every week I see a sale on Xbox it is mostly games and a small amount of DLC on sale.

There are publisher specific sales but these don't happen often on console. I have only seen big publishers do these types of sales.

12. JazzyGeofferz

JazzyGeofferz Member

IS some of it maybe to do with TSW2020 being on Game Pass as well?

13. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

I was thinking that to, but still come on. It's been how long now, getting past the point of tiring and now it's just plain ridiculous. That last PlayStation sale was exactly what I would have wanted. Like 50 % off most routes and locos. Especially Tees Valley Line

• Like Like x 1
  14. JazzyGeofferz

JazzyGeofferz Member

Looking back through previous XBox sales it looked like most of the bigger discounts were from before 2020 headed to gamepass?

15. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

16. trinity#2970

trinity#2970 Member

Train sim world is not in this list?

17. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

No, unfortunately not.
    Maybe there is a second part with some TSW items later sometimes but this is purely speculation.

18. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed then.

19. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Maybe , if DTG just took TSW2020 off gamepass then maybe we’d get more sales

20. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

Ya pretty mind blowing, Add On Sale, not a single add on from TSW or TSW2

• Like Like x 1
  21. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

I know MS knows what a sale is,but they clearly forgot that tsw2 is currently still a game with dlc in there store.

22. trinity#2970

trinity#2970 Member

And that they have tsw2020 in game pass.

23. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

Ya it's so pathetic at this point, literally sales just for DLC, and nothing

• Like Like x 1
  24. JazzyGeofferz

JazzyGeofferz Member

I think TSW2 is once again reduced in a sale on XBox at the moment.

25. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

Yes but only the Main games TSW2020 and TSW2 and I don't know why but I think that at least 95% of the people here in the Forum, already have the main games. :D

26. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

That is quite odd that tsw2 is on sale at the moment, but no dlcs are on sale. It is quite odd

27. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

yup messed right up, and getting extremely annoying. Don't care about the players at all...

• Like Like x 1
  28. SHINO BAZ

I would complain again but i have to save something for the next sale we don't get,i plan on complaining every single time we don't get one because it better then doing nothing and letting them think we don't care about sales.WE DO!

• Like Like x 1
  29. bones.n.hombre

bones.n.hombre Active Member

I suspect I will draw the ire of those that want a sale, trust me I also want a sale.

It makes no sense logically for DTG to have sales on the other platforms and not so much as Microsoft. I mean be realistic guys what could be their motivation for that move? They are proving that they are happy to do sales, why just ignore (or reduce) on one specific platform it makes no sense.

So we are told it is to do with Microsoft, and I feel there is a lot of disbelief. I don’t know either way. However I do note that I cannot buy games through my Xbox app on my phone, but I can through the PlayStation app, that’s weird right ?
    Could it be Microsoft do not want Apple/Google to get a share of the sales. Which would reinforce the thinking that Microsoft hold the reigns a lot tighter than say Sony or Steam etc

I think not having sales probably costs them money, and I’m sure they have all the graphs and bar charts to see which platforms they make better/worse profits, and whether during a sale or what months needs sales to drive buyers etc.

Here’s hoping for a sale for dlc sooner rather than later, and I share the frustration of other train fans, but I am of the mind that it really is something out of DTG’s control.

• Like Like x 1
  30. JazzyGeofferz

JazzyGeofferz Member

People from DTG have said repeatedly on these forums that it's the plarform holders who decide when sales are and how much gets discounted, and all they can do is take the opportunity when it's taken.

• Like Like x 3
  31. SHINO BAZ

A new midweek sale just popped up full of newer dlc at nice discounts but as always guess who gets left out,Plus this topic will alway gets complaints from many of us here no matter whos to blame.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Trainoob

Trainoob New Member

I bought both Train World Sim and Train World Sim 2 at around 20 euro and i'm quite happy with it. :D

• Like Like x 1
  33. ade4472

ade4472 Member

Why can’t DTG offer add ons for their games as in game direct from themselves? You can download pc games direct from developers so why can’t you buy direct from DTG via a direct link within their games?

• Like Like x 2
  34. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Because Microsoft want their 20% commission... see the current lawsuit involving Apple and their own app store

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

Because it is not allowed. Microsoft and Playstation have a monopoly over digital distribution on their platforms, if you make games for them, you sell via their store. There is no alternative.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. tallboy7648

I can buy f1 2020 on amazon For PS4 and Xbox One. I bought tsw2020 collectors edition on Amazon. I could buy Need For Speed games on third party sites.

You dont have to sell your product directly on the PS and Microsoft Store. You could sell them on third party sites. There are loads of games and dlc's for said games on third party sites

37. ARuscoe

Are those digital download only, or disc? I had a very quick gander and they all seem to be physical copies

38. tallboy7648

On some sites those are digital copies as well. Yakuza: Like A Dragon-Day Ichi Edition. You can buy a digital copy of need for speed heat on gamestop's website. G2A.com as well. You can buy F1 2020 in eneba.com and it'll give you a digital download code. Red Dead Redemption 2 on cheap live codes as well. I can go on and on as there are many games and sites I can list but my point still stands that you don't have to sell games or associated dlc's on the Microsoft and ps store directly. You can sell them in third party stores and sites so I don't get why dtg can't do the same when other gave developers do

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  39. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

Discs are physical copies and therefore not covered by what I said about digital distribution. DLC is obviously not suited to being sold on a disc anyway, hence why nobody does it, and lol at the idea in this day and age anyone would sell a disc-only game.

If you are referring to codes, and hopefully to official codes from reputable sellers, then sorry to burst your bubble but all a third party site sells is a code that is redeemable via the PS/XB Stores, so who do you think sold them that code in the first place?

As I said, it is a monopoly, you cannot avoid selling via Sony/MS stores on console, the platforms will always get their share.

• Like Like x 1
  40. tallboy7648

I am aware of that but my point was dtg dlc's and games can be distributed digitally on third party sites like other game companies do. Also those sites do have sales as well and sometimes even lower prices compared to the microsoft store. For example when I bought a 12 month EA Play Subscription two months ago the Microsoft store was charging $29.99 for it but I managed to get it for $22 at a third party site. I forgot the name of the site. When I bought Yakuza: Like a Dragon Day Ichi Editon which had an addon last year and mind you these were digital codes, instead of spending $59.99 which was the price on the Microsoft Store, I spent just $31.98 on the game on cheapdigitaldownload.com. I've done this with other games digitally as well and they were all digital games but I am not gonna list all of them otherwise I will be typing for hours

The whole point I was trying to make is that dtg could have tsw2 and it's DLC's distributed on third party sites digitally and these sites could charge the products at lower prices if they like. This would make up for the lack of sales Xbox Players get for tsw2. It doesn't all have to be exclusively on the Playstation and Microsoft store

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  41. ade4472

ade4472 Member

Hmm thought it was illegal to hold a monopoly in business. Customer have to have a choice as per the court case against Microsoft who got fined for only offering their browsers and software without consideration for other companies and consumers. This would fall under the same ruling. The only reason I can see that the developers don’t do it is Microsoft is a big financial juggernaut that would try to crush them. Capitalism at it worst.

• Like Like x 2
  42. ARuscoe

The argument is that there are other consoles, other stores etc so Microsoft don't have a monopoly over consoles, even if they have a monopoly of how you can buy things for THEIR console

• Like Like x 2
  43. tallboy7648

If microsoft really did have a monopoly in the console business, then third party stores and sites like gamestop and g2a would be shut down then because if they did have a monopoly, then you would only be able to buy games on the microsoft store

44. ARuscoe

Not really, those sites are resellers, so THEY buy from MS (probably in bulk at a discount) so MS is still the ultimate seller in those transactions

• Like Like x 1
  45. tallboy7648

If it was at a discount, then that should explain why third party sites can sell the digital product at a lower price compared to the Microsoft store

46. ARuscoe

Yep, MS Store is selling individual licenses full price to customers, but bulk price to the wholesalers...

• Like Like x 2
  47. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

I believe it's 30% and Sony takes the same cut, so shouldn't make a difference

• Like Like x 1
  48. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

In the news it was said Microsoft plan to in August cut it to 12% to match Epic. This is not happening for Xbox games on the Microsoft Store. Only PC.

49. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The problem with antitrust enforcement is that companies will do whatever they can get away with in new areas of commerce (like digital game distribution) unless and until a competitor or government takes them to court and wins the case, establishing a precedent that "Practice X is unlawful monopolization". Those lawsuits, such as Apple-Epic, are only now beginning.

50. SHINO BAZ

To be fair to microsoft(I can't believe i'm defending them sort of)They do have sales offen on all kinds of games and add ons the problem is tsw2 has been left to gather dust in the microsoft storeroom and has been forgotten about.DTG needs to say something about this to them at least ask them why.Everybody want to blame one or the other for this problem,well until someone says or does something nothing will change,it's obvious none of us can change anything but we can at least make sure they don't forget it.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.