Cathcart Circle Stream Preview Next Friday, Without Sam.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Inkar, May 24, 2021.

1. aglomarsale

aglomarsale Well-Known Member

Question about Cathcart... Does the route consist of joined rail? So it makes the clik clak noise without having to run over a junction

2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Looks nice. Lighting looks good, scenery looks decent and it appears they may be upping their texture game. It’s swaying me but I need to see the length etc and what’s in it

HOWEVER DTG

Does that tractor move.? All these vehicles other than cars which are static is getting old (clinchfield diggers)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Here's a map i made showing the mileage of the routes:
    Ignore the line via Cambuslang as that isn't included. What is included is the few miles to Shields Depot.

4. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I think with it being an intensively used line, the vast majority of it will have been converted to continuously welded rail a while ago but there may still be sections of jointed rail in the depot, sidings and the termini.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I want to watch Friday's stream before deciding on per order. The short intro video looks interesting as far as scenery details.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I will do the same. The video is promising though.

7. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

Sam is by far the best person for preview streams with Matt. Sam is very good at pointing out the flaws and generally asking the questions the community are thinking.

• Like Like x 6
  8. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

No Sam, no view!

• Like Like x 3
  9. aglomarsale

aglomarsale Well-Known Member

Sam understands the community in a very different way; one which works extremely well. Sam knows us, we know him, he's the one who answers the tough questions which others just cannot (no offence lol). What I'm trying to say is: for important streams where thousands will be watching, we need to bring out the big gun. And that, is Sam. Even if its disappointing news; he somehow always makes it sound like there's a very logical reason. And that's something that we, the community admire.

• Like Like x 3
  10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Looks good looking at the video. I suspect I will be purchasing it.

As much as I agree that Sam does ask hard hitting questions and is very entertaining, I am sure we are all capable of watching a preview stream and making our own minds up without having to guided by personalities!

• Like Like x 5
  11. Clumsy Pacer

Exactly. I'm perfectly fine with Sam not being there. I'm sure JD can do an at least adequate job.

Sam's most likely not going to be doing preview streams any more, as he's no longer community manager.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Easilyconfused

Easilyconfused Well-Known Member

I think there is a worrying level of Stanism cropping up now.

Sam like all staff / contractors is expendable. He is no longer Community Manager so the presenters are who DTG put up for each stream. Comments such as "if Sam is not doing it I won't watch" just seem incredibly self-centered.

I am astounded the "community" or loud voices purporting to speak for the community are complaining about the choice of presenter before the stream even airs. I can't think of any other product where this is happening and I watch a lot of preview and launch streams for other products.

• Like Like x 8
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I think the main issue people have is Sam actually looks at what's on screen and isn't afraid to say "That's not right, why have we not picked that up, how are we going to fix that". It also helps that Sam has been streaming train games online for years.
    Both the Community Director and Community Manager have stated in the last few months that they know little about trains, or train simming so you do wonder how they can ask "the difficult questions" when they don't know the subject matter at hand

Both of these people are certainly amiable enough and often interesting on certain types of streams but the last thing you want on a DTG preview stream is someone who constantly blows sunshine where the sun don't shine (if you get my meaning). Given the history of the releases and the state some of them have been in "why is that not working?" and "How he heck did we miss that?!?" seem to be valid questions

• Like Like x 11
  14. martschuffing

Well said.

• Like Like x 2
  15. theorganist

Practice makes perfect. If they never get the chance then they will never get to a point where they feel able to ask the hard hitting questions. They won't be able to ignore the questions asked on the stream anyway.

The celebrity cult is one of the blights of the last half a century, turning celebrities into de facto spokespeople is a dangerous road to go down.

• Like Like x 4
  16. ARuscoe

Well they do

• Like Like x 1
  17. martschuffing

I think Matt puts the fear of retribution into JD? :o

• Like Like x 1
  18. Clumsy Pacer

Sam doesn't read and ask every question posted int he chat, either.

19. ARuscoe

Of course not, but he doesn't seem afraid to actually question things. I've not heard others do so (yet)

• Like Like x 1
  20. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

JD will be absolutely great running previews for you. In these streams he is the voice of the player with Matt being the voice of the dev team so it's the job of the community representative on screen to get the questions you want answering dealt with. The chat moves at a rapid pace and even if you were to remove all the irrelevant, off-topic and repetitive questions there'd still be more than we can get through. The aim is to always answer the questions that are likely to be important to the greatest number of people.

If you have a question and it gets missed, wait a couple of minutes then ask it again. If it hasn't been picked up after 3 attempts, let it go and ask on the forums. Spamming the same question over and over is only likely to get you muted in the chat, and there are some things we simply can't answer.

• Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 5
  21. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Why we got only 1 train and not the 380 also?

• Like Like x 2
  22. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

At the time period set (2011-ish) a 380 would have only appeared on 1 or 2 peak services.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

But who care about?
    They make Ruhr Sieg Nord with Dostos and 143, but it was never drive there, it was the 143 Loco with n-Wagen and Karlsruhe Steuerwagen or used the 422 S-Bahn as RB48 on RRO.

24. theorganist

I do, I want to see realistic stock which ran on the route in the time period set. Some won't be bothered but from reading comments on this forum, many are.

Having said that, it would be nice to see another unit as some future DLC, which I think is very likely.

My main and only gripe really with this release, is that, only a few class 314's seemingly carried this livery which does detract from the realism a little, certainly for me. Similar to GWE where all the HST's were in GWR green, whereas, in reality very few carried it, so the depiction is not realistic.

• Like Like x 3
  25. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

You forgot the "wrong" headlight on the 112 and low level dostos.. Come'on keep up :)

• Like Like x 3
  26. Clumsy Pacer

I wonder if that has somethign to do with the ScotRail license, ie everything must be in Saltire in that DLC, similar to GWE where First said 'no FGW things'.

• Like Like x 2
  27. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Where is the Stream?
    It’s already 21 Uhr in Paris time.

28. mrcharliemiggins2.0

mrcharliemiggins2.0 Well-Known Member

29. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

it moved to 8pm utc which is 9pm BST and I think therefore 10pm French time.

30. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Funny it’s 20:10 now I don’t see no Cathcart stream

31. Clumsy Pacer

that's because it's currently 19:19 UTC. It doesn't start until 20:00 UTC, which is 40 minutes away

• Like Like x 1
  32. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Ok thanks

33. Clumsy Pacer

It's on now:
    and Twitch.

34. martschuffing

Not the same without Sam imo. No offense JD.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

I thought that JD did an excellent job with Matt. IMO I don’t know now if I would of preferred Sam. JD asked all the right questions and Matt was very upfront about things such as sounds and PIS. Well done JD and Matt.

• Like Like x 9
  36. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I thought JD was doing a pretty good job. I saw some people complaining that he got sidetracked onto other subjects but personally I don’t mind that. Also a few people complaining they were ignored, but from what I saw it was mostly questions that could be answered by looking at the roadmap and there isn’t time to answer them all - I don’t think I’ve ever had one of my (mostly Raildriver) questions answered, but it’s not a huge deal.

I think he was helped by a generally positive feeling about the DLC.

Let’s face it Sam and Matt is a hard act to follow. They work very well together. JD isn’t a Sam clone, it’ll be different.

Generally I think the community team are doing a pretty good job overall. They keep me entertained at least 3 evenings every week.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
  37. pbandyopadhyay29

pbandyopadhyay29 Member

Yeah I think JD did a great job. You know what its like? A far fetched example but its like when you change who is James Bond. Some people will just prefer one actor over the other even though the movies themselves are similar(ish). I kinda liked Sam's style a but more but I look forward to more streams with JD too. Great stream overall.

• Like Like x 5
  38. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  39. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I was pleased with yesterday's stream I thought that JD did very well, and look forward to him doing more of these streams with Matt. Sam has the more important stream anyways and that is the Roadmap Streams.

• Like Like x 2
  40. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's true. It is different. Thank Huaweis for that.

I think I could get used to the more prepared and professional approach that is on offer with JD. The discussion is now a bit more friendly and relaxed, and less loaded with locker-room banter and mild humiliation of the co-presenters - and for me that is like the Swiss Flag - a big plus (that is a joke I have stolen from Matt).

I appreciate the honesty and earnestness that JD brings, and the lack of brash attitude with the people in chat. And I think the combination with the younger co-presenters is more productive - it's really good to see them be able to relax more and be able to safely drop their guard a bit, and you get a lot more out of them as a result. It's really a win-win-win for everyone.

It's a great change for the better, if you ask me. And a better look for a company that has any aspiration to present itself as more professional and trustworthy. I'd also like to see JD take on the Tuesday Roadmap streams with Adam - I reckon that would be really great.

41. theorganist

Sour grapes make the best whine!

42. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

It is easy to be more relaxed when 90% of the content seems to be well done and pretty much working properly, with the remaining 10% (PIS and sound) being worked on and in good track to be ready for release.

• Like Like x 1
  43. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

JD is excellent, so calm and reassuring and picks out our questions with ease very professional. I like Sam and his humour but would rather have JD than anyone else if Sam is not available.

• Like Like x 4