Acses And Atc On Nj Transit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by helderbrincolas, May 27, 2021.

1. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

So i bought the "North Jersey Coast & Morristown Lines" on sale and i´m loving every bit of it, but i think i have found some issues with the safety/signaling sistems of the route... Im some sections the cab signaling shows per ex 20/30mph limits, when the track speed is 60/70/80mph on straight lines... I think this is an issue, because on LIRR in TSW this situation happens as well... Any kind odf help would be very much appreciated!

2. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Ok so the most of the commuter lines in the Northeast are fitted with cab signalling, based on signal aspects based on the signal conditions. If the ACSES and ATC want you to slow down, then that's because the signals have told it to based on the fact that either a train is close by or you're going to go over a switch. You should always listen to the safety systems in real life, unless it's obvious that there's a failure.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

In that route and in the Washington-Baltimore route there are some signal issues as I recall. Sometimes there's no train ahead or switchs or anything and it prevents you to exceed 30mph, I tend to disable the in cab signalling for a while and then reconecting.
    Apart from that, I am glad to see that you bought the route and that you like it! Did you get also the scenario packs?

• Like Like x 1
  4. helderbrincolas

I think that was an issue with it in this case, but anyways thanks for the help!

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  5. helderbrincolas

I´m enjoying it a lot, mainly the Coast Line, the landscape is awesome! No, i did not buy the scenarios, i still have a lot to play + scenarios from the workshop, but maybe on a future sale i buy it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. helderbrincolas

I have another question regarding the in cab signaling.
    So, on the ALP-45DP, i understand perfectly how to drive with the in cab signaling because the limit restrictions, and when a restriction of the speed limit appears, is displayed above the speedometer in a very simple way. But on the ALP-46 and on the cab cars the in cab signaling is displayed totally different and it makes me very confused and the emengercy brakes are always kicking in ahahahaha, because i can´t orient my self with it. I have read the manuals, but the explanation is confusing for me... Any kind of help would be very much appreciated!

7. NEC Railfan

Well that might mean there's a bridge ahead, and due to the aging infrastructure on our portion of the country, bridge speeds are sorely limited.

8. NEC Railfan

Yeah so there are actually two sub models of the ALP-46 model, the default ALP-46 and newer ALP-46A the A variant is usually used on the heavier trains of the Northeast Corridor, while the stock ALP-46s handle Coast Line trains and the like. The variant represented in the sim is the older ALP-46, and doesn't have the improved displays that the 45s have.
    [​IMG]
    Stock ALP-46 cab.

[​IMG]
    ALP-46A cab.

The way the ALP-46 cab signalling display works is with a green bar around the speedometer. Whatever is in green is your permitted speed, if you exceed the permitted speed then the bar will turn red. Here's a screenshot from another game called OpenBVE.
    [​IMG]
    This is an extreme example, as you can see the speedometer says up to only 20 mph is permitted, but our friend here in the driver's seat is exceeding it by a large margin, hence the red.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Sometimes it is, but those bridges are announced in the HUD too. What I mean is there are some scenarios were there are no trains ahead, no bridges, nothing ahead and the in cab forces you under 30 mph for all the route length (like from Summit to Dover all below 30). In train simulator it is common that the signalling system sometimes gets mad and there's nothing to do about it :D

10. helderbrincolas

Thanks, i will have a go