Irish Route For Ts?

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by trainbraint, May 7, 2021.

1. trainbraint

trainbraint Well-Known Member

I'm sure there have probably been threads posted for this idea before, but I couldn't find any recent ones so I thought I would post this.
    I think Ireland is a country with an interesting railway system, and one that could be represented nicely in TS.
    My immediate thought for a route was Dublin to Limerick. I think this is a very varied route with a lot of different services radiating out of Heuston, including the Cork expresses which run along the route for a considerable distance. I realise that there is a freeware Dublin - Cork and Limerick route available on UKTS, but I believe it requires the old Phorum Peninsula route, long removed from the store.
    In terms of stock, I think the 22000 class would fit well, with perhaps also the 201 class loco, if we're thinking modern day.
    To be honest, I don't mind what route. I would just quite like to see an Irish route.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

3. trainbraint

Yes, I was aware of this and I know that the Dublin - Cork route is great for a freeware route. I just think it might be nice to have some more, shall we say, official routes. Dublin - Dundalk or even Belfast was an idea, which has a nice mixture of long distance and commuter operations, and also DART.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

That would depend on DTG getting a License for those services - plus the broad gauge does not help.
    If DTG did it correctly then you would not be able to use UK Stock and if they used Standard gauge they would get criticized

5. trainbraint

There is that to consider I suppose - still, a nice thought, there’s always a chance it might happen sometime in the future.

6. Mark newman

Mark newman Well-Known Member

7. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

A note on the freeware route. Phorum Peninsula is a requirement. I'm thinking of visiting the route and seeing if I can swap all the track and scenery assets to instead make LTHC a requirement. I don't know if I can reach out to the original developer about this change to do it himself, but reposting with the LTHC requirement instead of the Phorum requirement would be nice. My understanding is the track files and such are all identical, and scenery may still be there, but the trains themselves (naturally) were removed, and the Phorum AP file located in the DTG folder instead. They can't use the original Phorum location because that would cause buyers to lose their train sets. So this is a quick and dirty fix to make Phorum requirements work.

Also, the full name of the route is now "Dublin to Cork, Limerick, Tralee". I believe it's a very long route in this final form - well, final until we get the Phorum fix in, anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  8. trainbraint

Yes - although from what I've seen, the route looks very nice, but the use of Phorum assets is the main reason why it won't suffice for now.

9. Cyclone

You can always use the same trick in Ts-Tools and change the track, and add your own scenery to it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. trainbraint

Even so - that still leaves the whole rest of the country untouched by TS, as far as I know, still lots of route potential left.

11. Cyclone

Neve said there wasn't! Dublin being in the middle of it does take the main bit, though. Perhaps DTG either can't get the license or don't want to step all over all that freeware work. (Or maybe think the license isn't worth the potential income, thus not even bothering.)

12. trainbraint

I mean, all the licensing plus having to use broad gauge track means it doesn’t seem very likely in the near future. Still, never say never! I think another nice route would be all of or a section of the Enterprise Corridor, I think it is called, from Dublin to Belfast