Class 37 Emergency Brakes

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by Torper, May 30, 2021.

1. Torper

Torper New Member

I've been running the AP class 37s on The Wherry Line. Every now and again my locos are brought to a dead stop when the emergency brakes are triggered. I've no idea what triggers them - there's no signal in the vicinity. I'm not speeding and there's no op error. Once triggered and the siren starts I can't turn them off, either by clicking Q on the keyboard or hitting the emergency panel on the HUD (that works with all the other locos I've driven in TS). It's very annoying - apart from anything else it incurs penalty points! I've sent a query about it to AP, but have had no reply. As I haven't found anyone else reporting this I think it must be down to me, but why?

2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Have you read the manual?

3. Torper

Torper New Member

Yes, both The Wherry Line and the AP class 37 manuals. The only possible reason I can think of for this problem is that I may be falling foul of Rule 39a in The Wherry Line where a signalman can in certain circumstances bring a train to a halt. None of the situations portrayed seem to apply when it happens to me, however. Also, it doesn't happen when I'm driving one of the DMUs, only the class 37s. It is very irritating and if no solution can be found I'll try reinstalling.

DT

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Why do people think that because one part of the game does not work as it should then Reinstalling is the Answer?

When you say "Once triggered and the siren starts" What Siren?
    The AWS or something else?
    Have you gone past an "AWS Cancellation Board" but did not cancel it - page 18 of the manual

5. Torper

Torper New Member

Perhaps it would be better described as a warning horn that is accompanied by the large square yellow/black striped box with the exclamation mark on the right-hand side of the HUD flashing. I believe this to be the AWS warning. On other routes it tends to trigger when for example, I pass a distant signal at caution or a yellow colour light. On such occasions I immediately cancel it by clicking on the yellow/black flashing striped box, and provided I do that quickly the brakes do not then apply. I understand that this can also be done by pressing Q on the keyboard, though I have also read that The Wherry Lines is the only route where the AWS doesn't work via the keyboard. Only when driving the 37s on the Wherry Route am I completely unable to cancel the AWS - Q doesn't work, nor does clicking the cursor on the flashing box, and I am forced to come to a halt even although there is no distant signal or anything else that I would normally expect to trigger the AWS.

As for you query regarding reinstalling, no-one else seems to have this problem and I therefore wonder if some file has been corrupted in some way.

DT

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You don't just get AWS warnings at Signals - they are placed as an advanced warning of a Speed Restriction and on a Single line to ignore the AWS as it applies in the opposite direction but back to the Wherry Class 37
    Do you have the route from AP or via Steam?
    Try a Quick drive with the Wherry Class 37 loco on a different route - one with a number of colour lights and see if you have the same problem

7. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Does it look like any of these signs?

280A85E9-271E-4C7F-BC14-7D230434BF65.jpeg

8. Torper

Torper New Member

Thanks for this. I bought the route from Steam in the recent sale. I believe it's an AP route with an AP class 37.
    I can't use the Wherry 37s on any Quick Drive route, not even the Wherry Line - they appear to be available only on Career and Standard route settings.
    I have however just tried the route with a Wherry Class 170 unit. The AWS sounded on a number of occasions. On each of these I was able to turn it off by hitting the yellow/black exclamation mark box within a second or two and the brakes did not activate.
    I then tried the same route with a class 37/4. The AWS sounded, but unlike with the 170 I was unable to turn it off however hard I hit the yellow/black box, and so we ground to a halt. It's not really much fun when that happens maybe four or five times in a 40-minute journey.
    Just to clarify, I have no objections about the AWS sounding - it's the inability to turn it off in the class 37s that's the problem.

DT

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It sounds like a problem with the Class 37 where the installation has not gone right
    You should be able to drive the Class 37 in Quick Drive on other routes
    It is Not an AP Class 37 but a repaint of a DTG Class 37 - even the version from AP comes with a DTG repaint

The route will have come in an *.ap file thru Steam - have you extracted that file for a reskin or scenarios?

Peter

10. Torper

Torper New Member

Are you sure that the Wherry Lines 37 isn't the AP one, albeit perhaps modified? Reason I suggest that is that I've been searching for an *.ap file as you suggest. This has been a bit complicated. Eventually I found my way to steamapps/common/railworks/assets and there I found all my routes. Most of these are in a DTG folder and the subfolders for these routes each contain an assets .ap file - for example, the Netherfield folder contains NetherfieldAssets.ap. OK so far.

However,some of my routes are in other folders and Wherry Lines is in an AP folder. Open that, then open Wherry Lines and you find the Class37 folder; that contains an APWL folder, and in that there’s a Class37 folder which itself contains 16 more folders, some of which contain yet further folders. I can’t find any *.ap folders in that at all although I haven't manually looked through each and every one of them.

So I'm afraid I'm not really any further forward but am very grateful to you and others for your help. I have emailed AP, but that was several days ago and I have not had a reply.

DT

11. Torper

Torper New Member

Well, I give up on these wretched Wherry 37s. Things have got worse in that I now can't even get the things to start. Yes, I've read the manual - it's open in front of me as I type. Yes I've tried all the required keyboard steps, including pressing Y. Still nothing. The most stupid thing is that the loco is sitting in the platform emitting clouds of exhaust smoke but according to everything in the cab the engine is off, and remains off however much I try to start it. In fact, now you come to think of it the loco doesn't react to anything on the keyboard, but the keyboard is working as I can change the camera angles with it. I'm not sure how I go about it, but as things stand I don't think I've any alternative other than to re-install the route.

DT (not happy)

12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I have the Wherry Line and I need the DTG Class 37
    The Route was released two years before the AP Class 37Pack01
    In the "AP Manual" it mentions the route includes "Heavily reworked class 37 (requires DTG Settle to Carlisle)"

I did not know how the Wherry Lines was installed.
    Go in to your Steam Client > Library > and Click on Train Simulator 2021
    On the RH Side is Manage my DCL
    Click on that and search for Wherry Lines
    Untick the route - then after a min or two re tick the route and it will reacquire and missing assets

If that does not fix it then raise a Tick with DTGs Helpdesk

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Torper

Torper New Member

Well, I've done just what you said.....and everything works! I had absolutely no idea how to go about reinstalling The Wherry Line, but I followed your instructions and all went smoothly. Needless to say,the first thing I tried was a Class 37/4 and it started up and we drove nearly to Lowestoft, where the game ended slightly prematurely when I unfortunately went through a red signal. The 37s also now appear in my Quick Drive lists.

The AWS, on the other hand, is probably down to me. There's an innocuous grey button on the loco dashboard which, when the cursor is hovered over it, reveals itself to be the AWS reset button. I hadn't noticed that before and had instead assumed that the AWS would be reset in the same way as on all the other locos I had driven in this game. So when the AWS horn went I tried pressing that (not always easy if the cab is swaying about) and the AWS reset and the brakes didn't come on. :D:D

So now I'm happy again. Many thanks for your help - I am most grateful.

DT

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I also have problems resetting the AWS with the mouse so I always use the Q button which is easier for me :)