Network Express Pack

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Wivenswold, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

With much of the original Network South East area covered in Train Simulator and with most routes in the South East set in the Privatisation era, it would be good to have a pack that helps TS fans to recreate scenes from the late 80s on the Southern sections of the WCML, ECML and GEML which also fills a noticeable gap for Southern Region fans. It also celebrates the era of large mobile phones, big hair, "loadsamoney" and baggy suits and braces, when the popular Jaffa Cake livery gave way to the startling, clean lines of the Network Southeast "Aquafresh" colours. A livery that made even 1950's units look somehow newer.
    [​IMG]

Including.
    Class 312 - While most of the slam-door commuter stock in the South East was based on the British Rail MK1 coaching stock, two types of MK2 EMUs were built. The AM10, (later Class 310) for London Euston to Birmingham suburban services and, included in this pack, the Class 312 which was built in two batches between 1975 and 1978. The first batch was built to bolster growing demand for commuter services in Essex and 4 to compliment the 310s on the WCML. The second batch were allocated for the electrified Great Northern line between Huntingdon and Kings Cross. The Great Eastern batch transferred to the LTS Line in 1992/3, the Great Northern to the Great Eastern. The final units of this class ran in 2004.

[​IMG]
    Class 309 - When introduced by British Rail's Eastern Region in 1963, the then designated AM9 units were based on Mk1 coaching stock and were the first electric multiple units in Britain that could operate at 100mph. 23 Units were built in 3 configurations 8 x 2 cars, 7 x 4 cars and 8 x 4 cars with a Griddle (Buffet) car which served a mighty cooked breakfast to the lucky commuters of North East Essex. The Griddle Cars went in the late seventies, as did the beautiful curved windscreens for cheaper-to-replace flat screens. In the mid 80's they were refurbished with hopper windows, open carriages and a stunning Orange & Brown livery which came to be known by fans as the "Jaffa Cake" livery. This was short-lived however as Network South East branding became the norm. Progressively replaced between 1992 and 1994 by Class 321/3s released from the West Anglia line then a further batch of Class 321/4 from the West Coast Main Line, a few remained employed on Manchester to Birmingham stopper services until their withdrawal in 2000.

[​IMG]

Completing the trio of Network South East commuter workhorses is the Southern Region's Class 411. Built between 1954 and 1963 they were to become a familiar site across Kent, Sussex, Hampshire and Surrey for 49 years. The longest serving of the Mk1 EMUs. Like the Class 309s, these units were extensively refurbished with later ones emerging in "Jaffa Cake" livery before the entire fleet succumbed to the ubiquitous Network Southeast colours. Their doors slammed shut for the last time in March 2005.

Livery variants included.
    Class 309 - Jaffa Cake & NSE with Great Eastern sector branding.
    Class 312 - BR Blue/Grey & NSE with Great Northern, Great Eastern and LTS branding.
    Class 411 - Jaffa Cake & NSE with South Eastern, South Central and South West NSE branding.
    Features; separate slamming doors with distinctive sounds. Compressor noises, Pro-standard cab features. And some suitably 80's attired passengers!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kyle_Lennard1

Kyle_Lennard1 Active Member

From what I have been told a Class 411 is in the works by a 3rd party Dev. whereas the 309 and 312 I will agree a really needed in TS

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wivenswold

It's good that 3rd party devs are still tackling new rolling stock for TS. There are a lot of routes in the works but the variety of UK electric traction is currently a little limited, I did ask DTG if they were intending on releasing any more AC traction for the UK but didn't even get an acknowledgement.

5. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Looks like you guys have the same problem as us, except we are low on American steam. We have been requesting for the longest time for there to be a 1950s US steam route similar to the Riviera Line in the 50s.

Anyways, I do like the British MU stock, and it would be cool to see stuff like class 201-207 DEMUs.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Delticmatt

Delticmatt New Member

I would cream my pants if a 310/12 comes to train simulator. These fine emus were the best ever.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Delticmatt

Delticmatt New Member

Could use AP 303 and 442 sounds for the 310/12 :)

8. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Aye from me, the slam-door over head electrics are sorely underrepresented

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I've suggested this elsewhere but AP's Mk1 coaches would be a basis for many early EMUs.
    Could their 411/2 be a precursor?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wivenswold

Sadly unless Armstrong Powerhouse decide to add sound creation/production (which is popular in MSFS but not TS for some reason), then they won't be making an AC Slammer model in my opinion. They prefer live sound recordings. There are DC slammers in preservation hence the 411 pack but only single carriages exist on the AC side. There is a complete 309 that could make it back to mainline running but it's way off and needs a lot of work.

11. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

12. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Yes I know, I've spent half my life travelling in slammers :) I'm talking about the 303 motor etc sounds. That is why I asked if the AP303 soundpack could be used for a 310, if so then their Mk1 slammer sounds could be added.
    See my post 9 where i suggested that the AP Mk1 pack could be the basis for many early EMUs.

14. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Ahhhh... I see now...!!! ;)

15. Wivenswold

I'll have to have a listen to the 303, though from memory they sound more like PEPs. The closest I've heard were actually in the DTG 506 or APs 411.