Sam And Adam

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sheldon1000, Jun 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

So just watching the latest video tonight. Does anyone else feel Sam is waaaaay too harsh on Adam and talks to him pretty badly ALOT on the stream? It is very obvious that Sam has zero patience with Adam and can't hide it on streams.

• Like Like x 2
  2. DeStijl

DeStijl Well-Known Member

I think it's just part of his schtick, I don't sense any real tension between the two.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sheldon1000

Hmmm I really do.

4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

To be honest? It may be because that during this livestream and the previous one two weeks ago, Adam at least appeared to be seriously baked. Now, I have no particular objection to pharmaceuticals as recreation... but not on the job.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sheldon1000

Iv noticed it for months to be honest. But certainly if he is baked then I'd be hacked off too. But I don't believe that's the reason personally.

• Like Like x 1
  6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Maybe the soup was too salty? It even happens in good homes :D

PS Sam is harmless, but Natalka is a real "beast". Sometimes I'm afraid to watch RailfanTV :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

Nah it's all part of the fun i enjoy watching these 2 doing the live streams very entertaining

• Like Like x 2
  8. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

To me it looks more like a running gag between the two of them. I wouldn't even be surprised if the thing with East Coastway Way PIS was planned to get feedback before the release.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

I have said it before, I wouldn’t do a live stream with Sam, he’s a descent host in the honest information he gives but he always appears to talk down and over whoever is with him, he certainly likes to be centre of attention and always has, I made a post about this ages ago and nothings changed, it’s basically the Sam show unfortunately when others have important information to give as well especially Adam, Sam needs to work on his presenting skills, he comes across as very overbearing on streams, that’s just my advice for what it’s worth as a viewer

I understand some will find it amusing but I can certainly understand why others won’t tbh

My thoughts are hopefully seen as constructive because that’s what they are meant to be, let others talk without fear they are going to be shot down

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  10. bobbobberdd

• Like Like x 4
  11. wombleway

wombleway Well-Known Member

I think Sam sees himself as "the people's representative" so pushes the rest of the team to give a definite answer or explain why something isn't possible to achieve yet... it's easy for software devs to over-promise on things (there was an instance on last night's stream, I think it was Adam talking about cars on level crossings), and I think Sam just tries to keep them grounded so that we aren't disappointed when a feature is mentioned but never arrives. I certainly don't think there's any malice intended.

• Like Like x 5
  12. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

What's "behind their backs" about an open forum their a moderator on..? Doing it via PM on the other hand..

• Like Like x 2
  13. bobbobberdd

I just wanted to point this out to both of them. I thought just because a thread is called "Sam and Adam" there is no guarantee that they will see it.

14. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

They are most welcome to join the debate but do you think Adam will say “I wish Sam would let me speak without jumping down my throat”? very unlikely really

Sam has a unique presenting style but everyone needs to realise not everyone will like it, some will find it very amusing, others will find it downright rude

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

They work well as a pair. I did think however the player response to some of his fixes a fortnight ago was excessive. Imagine working on something you think will improve a dlc, likely doing more than is required and then getting a wave of disapproval. It wasn't a new paid release and was always going to be fixed ASAP.

16. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

At a professional level, the behaviour from Sam online towards his colleagues is utterly disgraceful and would not be tolerated in most organisations. And I find it particularly surreal, because the evidence is recorded, and a matter of public record.... on YouTube..., creating a wealth of material to form the backbone of any potential future discussions with the personnel department, if that ever becomes necessary.

At a social level, the sort of banter that Sam engages in (let's be generous for now....).... is relatively mild - and would be absolutely fine between two good friends that have known each for a long time, and where the banter is reciprocated. But, of course, the banter isn't reciprocated, and some co-presenters don't want to engage in humiliating their colleagues in public, in a recording, even if it is Sam that is the target and even if Sam believes that he can take as good as he gives out - although I strongly suspect that this isn't actually the case.

And there is often a significant "power distance" between the presenters, so the more junior player would have significant worries about where to draw the line in engaging with the banter, to prevent seriously harmful escalation (harmful to one or more careers). - and anyway, for some co-presenters, it is just not in their nature, because they are just gentle, intelligent, respectful people, and.... they probably don't want to put out rubbish like that on record for future employers to get deeply concerned about, and sift them out.

As a voice of the organisation (and I can assure you that Sam is there to represent DTG, not the community...).... Sam presents the company as being one where bullying is tolerated, and where the bullies lord over complete chaos - like, not being able to keep a simple list of bugs and a list of planned developments up to date....

But all that said, yes, it isn't the same without Sam. It could be different. It could be better. That's why it is so good to see someone like JD take the reins, with a completely different, friendly and professional approach.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

I think if it was taken seriously by the other hosts they'd have gotten rid of Sam ages ago, the fact that Adam is there week in/week out suggests it's just banter.

They know Sam plays devil's advocate sometimes as he takes up a kind consumer champion role for their customers.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

I think making accusations such as this without concrete evidence is not only dangerous but pretty stupid. Maybe Adam is just a laid back kind of guy, perhaps he's had his covid jab (that slams you like a train) but whatever making such statements with only 'your' opinion as basis for fact is uncalled for.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Sam in my opinion deserves a lot of the credit for the much improved communication regarding TSW.

I find some of the comments above quite unbelievable. If Adam genuinely thought he was being bullied I honestly think he would have said something by now (and to HR not on a stream).

I find the comments about Adam quite out of order as well.

To me this is 2 colleagues that get along well and some banter between them, nothing more. Sam is right to rein in Adams enthusiasm and it benefits Adam in the long term as people already misinterpret things he says to suit what they want to hear, the same apples with Matt There is an example by one of the posters here about something Matt said that had been turned into a promise by the time it was posted on the forum (and since retracted so credit to the person concerned for that)

It’s ok not to like the approach and to discuss that but accusing Sam of being a bully and Adam as being ‘Baked’ is in my opinion quite wrong.

• Like Like x 13
  20. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If you watch the streams over time, look at the results of "over promising" or even "over suggesting" on this forum then you will see why sometimes it's important to remind Adam and Matt that making statements on a live unscripted stream WILL have consequences down the line. Just look at the amount of comments regarding the ECW PIS since it was let loose that it was finished (which was by Adam several months ago), or the times Matt has promised things and not been able to follow through

Yes Sam is ascerbic (all part of his style) and yes he can sound (probably purposefully) condescending, but he made a very valid point. If you make statements on stream then you best have the ability to back them up, and given Adam immediately backtracked and said the core team would need to be involved there's the question of "wishful thinking vs reality"

Both Adam and Matt have said separately on stream that they have a very good working relationship with Sam, and I believe that he has driven the TSW production forward overall by not simply being a "we want this, yes we can do this, isn't this brilliant" mouthpiece, which is what we seem to get elsewhere a lot of the time

• Like Like x 2
  21. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

What Sam says about the game/product is honest and straight to the point, he (mostly) gives clear responses but does occasionally beat around the bush, that’s not the point of the post, it’s his communication skills with others alongside him, if he wants the stream to be a one man show then stream alone, if he streams with others let them talk and have their say without constant interruptions and talking down to them

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

So long as that talk doesn't make promises or agreements that the company cannot back up. Lest we forget everything in those streams is repeated and analysed by people on this forum ad nauseum until what's been said twists from "this is possible / probable" to "we've promised this, when's the release date (and accompanying routes, assets, what's the cost... where's my dummy! whah)

23. breblimator

breblimator Guest

panem et circenses

• Like Like x 2
  24. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’ve never got the impression that Adam is baked on the streams.

• Like Like x 5
  25. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

There's too much wild speculation in this thread considering it is about real people, who have livelihoods and have done nothing obviously wrong.

Some people really need to stop and think before posting things, it's not necessary to post every idle thought in your mind, let alone when they involve accusing people of using drugs or bullying.

• Like Like x 13
  26. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

I am locking this thread as it has descended into completely inappropriate.

It is often easy to mistake the banter between Adam and Sam, and from an outside perspective it can appear harsh. In reality they get on very well, and there are certainly no tensions between the two.

• Like Like x 26
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.