Tsw Locking Up After Last Update.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by pdxmark77, May 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. pdxmark77

pdxmark77 Active Member

Ever since the last update TSW keeps locking up on me. There is no pattern that I can see sometimes it will do it soon after the game is loaded other times it may take awhile, but regardless it will do it each time I try to play.

Before the patch, I never had this issue but ever since then it is not playable for me anymore.
    What it will do is the game will just freeze and the only way for me to exit out is to reboot my laptop.

CPU is: Intel Core I5 6200U @ 2.30Ghz,
    GPU is Nvidia GeForce 940MX

I know my specs aren't that good, but the game worked (on low settings) just fine before, I even did a complete fresh clean reinstall of Windows 10 and still having the same issue.

I wonder if the new multi-core support that does not sit well with my processor and it is just simply freezing on me.

Anyways, I filed a trouble ticket on Monday and haven't heard anything back yet.

2. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Well, at least I'm not the only one with the same problem right now. Although, DTG did have a bit of the same freeze up during the WSR Demo view on Livestream (only temporary). Hopefully, this freeze will be fixed sooner rather than the next long-awaited update in a few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Thanks both for the feedback. Our engineers are looking into this right now but, if you haven't done so already, could you drop a ticket into Customer Support and attach your crash dumps. You can find them in the %userprofile%\Documents\My Games\TS2Prototype\Saved\Crashes folder (just copy and paste this to Windows Explorer).

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 3
  4. pdxmark77

pdxmark77 Active Member

Thanks Steve for your reply,
    I was talking with Matt yesterday (Thursday) regarding this, and have opened up a ticket that is being looked at. Problem is that I do not have any crash dump files to share but will see what I can provide so you can all can hopefully figure it out. Cases like this are tough as it doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason and therefore it is not always reproducible which makes it harder to troubleshoot. I'm going to mess around with a few things to see if I can get a better understanding myself and submit what I find in the ticket that is opened.

5. TrainSim-Steve

Great, thanks for letting me know pdxmark77.

Just out of interest, and this may sound like a silly suggestion that I'm sure you've tried already, have you tried updating all of your drivers for things like GPU and CPU?

Best, Steve

6. pdxmark77

pdxmark77 Active Member

Morning Steve,
    Yes, originally when it first started I was running the Windows Insider builds, however yesterday I wiped everything and did a fresh clean install of Windows 10 to the latest stable build that just dropped (1803) and by doing that I also made sure to get all of my drivers updated, I also eliminated a few things to see if a driver might be causing it, but no matter what I have tried nothing seems to fix it. I just replied back to my support ticket with some more information.

Challenger3985 what kind of issue are you seeing, does the game video freeze up while you are playing and you have to kill the task, and /or reboot in order to continue? I am just seeing if your issue is related to the one I am seeing, the more information DTG gets the better it is for us.

7. TrainSim-Steve

Thanks for confirming pdxmark77, if you could share your ticket number with me, I'll make sure the content finds its way to the right people here.

Many thanks, Steve

8. pdxmark77

pdxmark77 Active Member

Sure,
    It is UNK-385-43805

BTW - I love the new article you posted yesterday about the Diesel-Electric sim improvements. I love the writing style and the detailed information, very informative and made for a fun read.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TrainSim-Steve

Wonderful, thanks pdxmark77!

Really glad you liked the article, I'll pass on your compliments to Matt, who pretty much wrote the entire thing - with some input from myself! :)

Best, Steve

10. Challenger3985

All I can say is, it just freezes up at 4-5 mins in-game and I have to just kill the task (best worked on windowed fullscreen). Also, I did note that this update of TSW took a lot of memory space to play even at an 8GB rams installed.

11. PlaysWithTrains

PlaysWithTrains New Member

Just a heads up -- when I experience this lockup, it's not producing a crash dump file because there isn't actually a crash. The software is simply unresponsive -- audio continues, and TSW is using 25% of the CPU cycles.

12. ReinFlight

ReinFlight New Member

Hi there. The same here with me. I can play the game for a few minutes and by then the screen totally freezes. I have the latest nvidia driver. Running windows 10 latest update. When the screen freezes sometimes I can press CTRL+ALT+DEL. However when clicking on taskmanager the freezed screen turns back. The only way is to press the reset button on my PC. At other times pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL has no effect at all. In this way it's no longer playable for me.

ReinFlight

13. TrainSim-Steve

Hi Guys,

A quick update on this.

Thank you all so much for all the information you've provided us on this, it has helped our Engineers trace exactly what's causing the problem. A fix is well under way and we hope to get this out to you next week.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 6
  14. philthesuperfan

philthesuperfan New Member

Hi everyone when I play TSW and my laptop is also not the best and before the last update for TSW it was fine on my laptop before the last update and my also keeps locking up when I would start Rapid Transit service and it would start just fine and then after it almost finishes loading passengers the game locks up right before the passenger circle is almost complete and then it locks up and I have to unplug the cord and take out the battery to restart my laptop and I am having the same issue with the last update and when the game locks up and on my headphones the sound is still there and when I try to press close doors and the game locks up right there and I have never had issues playing TSW before the last update and I have tried to play it everyday and it still locks up on my laptop and I have never had any issues before this last update

15. pdxmark77

pdxmark77 Active Member

That is awesome news Steve! Thank you to the team for figuring it out, glad I am not the only one who was seeing that issue.

16. cultore

cultore New Member

Hi, I too find the same problem, the simulator crashes and does not let you go on, I tried using the tools of Steam but at the end of the process of checking the files, tells me that everything is ok. I await a next update that solves this annoying problem.

17. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

I went a good couple months without the game crashing and now it just suddenly crashes out of nowhere while driving a 166 on GWE. Mind you, my CPU is an Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60 GHz, my GPU is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, and I have 16 GB of RAM. I always make sure my drivers are up to date as well. I highly doubt that computer specs are a problem in my case. Plus for a while, I was able to run the game perfectly. Now it just suddenly starts crashing out of nowhere. This is definitely on DTG's end.

18. The1Smitty

The1Smitty New Member

I am experiencing the same issue. If it helps, the scenarios and services that seem most affected are those that start with a passenger boarding. This has rendered NEC, RT, and GWR unplayable. Heavy Haul seems least affected, but several of the services also lock up randomly. This occurs with "downhill" services more than "uphill" services. It acts like a RAM lock, but I have RAM available.
    As previously mentioned the audio continues unaffected but I must sign out to reset. Task manager is rendered unusable (cant tab to the window) when this occurs as well. I've never experienced a game lock such as this with any other product. Can we get an ETA on the fix please?

19. John Murphy

Knowing DTG, probably not for a really long time, if ever. Btw, the services I'm doing on GWE do not start with passenger boarding. And with me, the game sometimes just freezes and sometimes crashes to the desktop where I get a UE4 crash report. It's a strange problem very similar to the infamous "crash dump" problem that plagues TS. It happened to me for a while, then it stopped back around early February, now it's starting back up again. I did nothing to fix it back in February mind you.

20. The1Smitty

The1Smitty New Member

The services for the HST dont, but anything with the 166 is shot.

21. John Murphy

And it figures because the 166 makes up most of the services on that route.

22. ReinFlight

ReinFlight New Member

Just had an update. I think in preparation for the new Somerset route. I tried a service class 166 (reading - paddington). No freezes anymore, DSD works fine and I believe the sound is also better (louder). Good job I think.

23. ReinFlight

ReinFlight New Member

It was too good to be true. Unfortunately freezes again. RT, NEC? :(

24. TrainSim-Steve

Sorry to hear that ReinFlight, I've recorded this and will pass it back to the team tomorrow for further investigation.

Best, Steve

25. John Murphy

I haven't played yet since the update. I'll believe it when I see it.

26. pdxmark77

pdxmark77 Active Member

I will check tonight at work to see if that fixes anything for me, I will report back to what I have found.

27. OkaneTrainsUK

OkaneTrainsUK New Member

Honestly, i'm getting the same, after a few minutes of gameplay the whole thing just stops and hangs, doesn't even say that it was a UE4 crash, spent about 90 minutes trying to get it to work to no avail.

28. pdxmark77

pdxmark77 Active Member

It's doing the same thing for me still, which is sad as the few minutes I got to play the DLC it looks nice.

29. cultore

cultore New Member

Hi, unfortunately I have to confirm that the problem has not been solved even after the new update. I hope once again that the sooner you are able to solve and be more careful in communicating with users, I notice a certain absence of your Lords of Dovetail. It seems that you are interested in selling the product rather than offering proper assistance, quiet and silent.:(

Traslate Italian/English language with Google Traslate.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. Challenger3985

Agreed with many, the problem still continues. But I may have found that during the freeze, it has 0% power on the GPU. Just seeing if this is common during freeze-ups from others.

31. pdxmark77

pdxmark77 Active Member

No, they want to fix this trust me. I think part of the problem is that they can't duplicate this issue and therefore harder for them to test. I am working with their team directly to help get this resolved for all of us who are experiencing this.

I know it is frustrating, but they really are wanting to get this fixed for us.

32. ReinFlight

ReinFlight New Member

Any news about this topic. Still suffering from lockups. No pattern, just random. I got the latest drivers and updates.

33. TrainSim-Steve

A quick update on this:

The Development Team have identified the source of this issue and are busy working on a fix. Once I know when you can expect it, I'll drop back here to let you know but I'm hopeful it's going to be sorted soon.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. LavisDiam

LavisDiam New Member

Experiencing the same FREEZES at the moment but DTG has confirmed that they are on top of it! :)

Can't wait for the fix!

Thanks for the constant feedback and help DTG!

Liam

35. danman425

danman425 New Member

First and foremost, CSX - Heavy Haul is a great game. It's proven to be a reliable and enjoyable game on my system. The developers at Dovetail are extremely talented and I understand that they're working hard behind the scenes.

However, I too am experiencing freezes with the New York DLC. These are consistent freezes that completely brick the entire game. I am extremely disappointed that I just paid $30 for a game that doesn't even work. I submitted a support ticket for this that has still gone unanswered. What's worse is there was no announcement, no heads up from the company about an issue that they apparently know about. Instead, I have to go out of my way, create an account, and carefully sift through a forum to see if this is an common issue and if it can be fixed. This is something that should have been announced or handled in my support ticket.

Now, Dovetail goes quite on this, fails to provide additional information, and instead comes out of the dark to promote something that they want me to spend more money on. This experience has tainted my view on what I thought was a good company. At this point in time, I have little to no interest in buying their games in the future because of this.

36. TrainSim-Steve

Thanks very much for taking the time to provide your feedback danman425. I think we can all agree that we have some way to go to improve.

On the Support issue, please bear with us, we're currently short handed on Customer Support for Trains and we're going as fast as is humanly possible. It's worth bearing in mind that we receive hundreds of requests for support every week and we answer the queries in the order they are received, so it can sometimes take some time for us to get to your ticket.

If you could share your ticket number with me, I'll see if I can get someone to get back to you.

Best, Steve

37. AdvancedFollower

AdvancedFollower New Member

Similar issue here. After the spring update, the game randomly kicks me out after anywhere from 5 to 60+ minutes of playing. My system doesn't freeze though, I just get the Epic error reporter. They are probably getting quite sick of my bug reports but I keep sending them in anyway so they can see that some of their licensees are giving the UE4 engine a bad rep because they don't know how to program.

Opened a ticket maybe a week ago. They confirmed it was sent to the developers, which doesn't exactly help me...

38. Freddele

Freddele Member

Hello community

I'm happy but a little annoyed to see just this topic and to see that I'm not the only one with this problem.
    I only have the Santa Patch and GWR and I have exactly the same gaming problem that spits up anytime, (no problem before) I have reduced my graphics, nothing to do, the game often crashes the first two minutes, if not in the first ten minutes. I am forced to disconnect my session with CTRL + ALT + DELETE, disconnect me from my profile and relaunch my profile for me.
    I hope that this problem will be solved because I like the concept of game, I hope you have seen my topic about the Plattling station in Germany and make a return of the first installment of the Santa Patch!

Freddy

39. TrainSim-Martin

TrainSim-Martin Well-Known Member

Hi folks,

Thanks again for reporting these issues, I'm just dropping in to say we're still investigating this - should have some movement on this soon.

Best wishes,
    Martin

40. ReinFlight

ReinFlight New Member

No freezes anymore. Played for several hours NEC and GWR. No problems.

41. AdvancedFollower

AdvancedFollower New Member

Only tested for about an hour but the crashes seem to be gone for me too.