Class 423 Emu Throttle Operation Query

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sunscreen, May 26, 2018.

1. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Hey all, I posted this query over on the steam forum but decided this is probably a much better place so apologies for the dual post.

Basically when leaving Portsmouth there’s a 15mph speed limit and I’m finding it hard to establish and maintain an appropriate speed, especially with the gradient there. My problem is that I’ll use notch 1 but to get above 5mph I need to drop into notch 2. It accelerates rapidly towards the 15mph limit so I drop back down to notch 1 which provides 0 amps at this point, so the train starts decelerating.

I read elsewhere about series and parallel which I understand, but I don’t know how to put that into practice.

Any help at all gratefully received as I love that old 80s stuff as it reminds me of happy childhood trips out with the grandparents. I’d love to be able to drive them properly but I just don’t have the technical knowledge.

2. Kyle_Lennard1

Kyle_Lennard1 Active Member

Here's a comment from one of PTGRail's video's that would explains about the 4-VEP's physics in Train Sim upload_2018-5-26_13-23-21.png

3. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Thanks Kyle. Is there any more detail available anywhere specific to the actual operation of the system?

4. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Hello Sunscreen ! Unfortunately, that is indeed the behavior of the real train. It is very difficult to maintain a speed. That's the challenge when driving it. Also, if you want to decrease power, you need to go all the way to zero and then back up to the lower setting. That's real life, unfortunately.

Cheers,
    ProfCreeptonius

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Ah ok. It’s good to know I wasn’t making life un-necessarily difficult for myself. Good heads up about the return to zero too. Thanks.

6. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

I found this- the start is very informative.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Sunscreen Haha I see you found my sources :P
    Good job!

Cheers,
    ProfCreeptonius

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

:)

• Like Like x 1