West Coastway: Brighton To Littlehampton And Bognor Regis

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by cloudyskies21, Jun 1, 2021.

1. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I'd like to suggest the West Coastway Line between Brighton, Littlehampton and Bognor Regis. With another delay for the Class 313, as I mentioned in the roadmap thread, I think this rolling stock needs a completely new line to run on to get the maximum enjoyment from and stretch its legs - I love ECW but the novelty of driving on the route I've played over and over again wears off. Anyway, information about the route:

Rolling Stock:
    Class 313
    IMG_20210529_105613.jpg

Class 377/1s and 4s
    IMG_20210529_105343.jpg

Length:
    Approximately 27 miles (44km)

Stations:
    Brighton
    Hove
    Aldrington
    Portslade
    Fishersgate
    Southwick
    Shoreham-by-Sea
    Lancing
    East Worthing
    Worthing
    West Worthing
    Durrington-on-Sea
    Goring-by-sea
    Angmering
    Littlehampton

PLUS
    Littlehampton to Bognor Regis via Ford and Barnham (this part of the line can have AI traffic to/from the Arun Valley Line).

Scenery:
    Some stunning scenery along the English Channel coast, for example, around Shoreham Airport and the potential inclusion of general aviation traffic in the skies.

Summary:
    Yes, another Southern third-rail route but one that would provide a great chance to use the Class 313 on another of its home routes and a different stretch of track other than to Lewes or Seaford and back.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Nei4024

Nei4024 Active Member

Good suggestion. You are right, the 313 is not going to be used at all well in ECW, since it would operate very short stretches. So on this route it fits perfectly. What DTG could do is that it will not release the 313's crazy DLC for ECW and will release it for this possible route along with another locomotive (cargo or passengers). In this way, they would already have less rolling stock to model. Of course, if this route were made with the 313, this same locomotive would be automatically entered into ECW as DLC. What do you think?
    Greetings.

• Like Like x 2
  3. cloudyskies21

Hello. Yeah that does make sense, as we'd have the bonus of a new route and the 313 on East and West Coastway. We've waited such a long time already now for the 313 for ECW, I doubt it being pushed back further to cater for them making this route is going to bother many really. Rolling stock on West Coastway passenger-wise you'd probably be limited to what we have already (313, 377 etc) although some vintage railtours would be great.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rhyttik

rhyttik Active Member

why no 158 for GWR services

5. isaac47593

isaac47593 Well-Known Member

Surely us in the midlands and the north deserve something before ANOTHER Brighton route?

• Like Like x 2
  6. cloudyskies21

DTG would have to create the Class 158 for a new separate GWR route if this had any chance of being a layer on West Coastway. But would be a great addition if it was.

Ah of course, didn't mean that West Coastway should be created right away but just a potential suggestion in the future for the 313. I'd quite happy have any new modern UK routes in the Midlands, North or elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rhyttik

rhyttik Active Member

then 166 could work

• Like Like x 1
  8. cloudyskies21

Indeed, I would definitely be up for having the 166 even if it's not completely realistic just to add some variation. I mean for the Brighton Main Line Rush Hour route we should 'in theory' be getting the 166 between Redhill and Gatwick so having it at Brighton for West Coastway would not be completely out of place.

9. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

My local line . I have noticed this line has been suggested a lot lately , maybe because the BML is also coming so it’d completely the Brighton arrow . Hopefully this comes at some point

• Like Like x 1
  10. cloudyskies21

Ah very nice, it's an interesting route to ride on. Yeah, I've noticed that too although quite a few of the recent suggestions lacked any info so I'd thought I'd add my own detailed suggestion.

Indeed, Brighton Main Line is by far the most exciting route for me DTG have ever done, really looking forward to it! West Coastway would complement BML nicely as we'd be able to drive a full Victoria-Littlehampton service (obviously switching routes from BML to WCW at some point).

Going way into the future, would be nice if they added the Arun Valley Line after West Coastway, then the former could be linked to Three Bridges and completing a full circle to Brighton.

11. creeperblox2710

creeperblox2710 Well-Known Member

ECW isn't realistic either when it comes to Services, since the Brighton-Lewes and Brighton-Seaford Services are operated by a 313.

12. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

The demand for linking routes would increase dramatically if the WCW was added as it would open up a massive opportunity for more immersion at Brighton

• Like Like x 1
  13. cloudyskies21

Indeed, although that's only because the 313 was not released originally with ECW. ECW is also unrealistic as it completely lacks Victoria services to/from Ore/Eastbourne which is frustrating.
    Totally agree. I know there is quite rightly other areas of the UK that deserve modern UK routes, but at least with more Southern routes it makes it as you say much more immersive, especially when it comes to added rolling stock and AI traffic potential too.