Train Sim World 2 - Building Brighton Main Line

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Jun 4, 2021.

1. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

[​IMG]
    We talk to the development team about building London – Brighton in Train Sim World 2: Rush Hour
    Read the article here.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 29
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. brfan#9132

brfan#9132 Active Member

Yes the route article I have been waiting for

• Like Like x 7
  3. mldaureol2

mldaureol2 Well-Known Member

This article is the Excellent news that I have been waiting for.
    Mike.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

TSW2_RushHour_Building_Brighton_Screenshots_1920x1080_3.jpg

Are there station names on the map?:o:love:

• Like Like x 10
  5. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

seems more for testing purposes. The way they are positioned isn´t great to be honest

• Like Like x 3
  6. VictorHugoVS

VictorHugoVS Active Member

Nice, can't wait to drive it.

7. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Probably, but seeing how it has been implemented here makes me wonder why it isn't in the game normally...

• Like Like x 3
  8. Tom Fresco

But its certainly better than nothing, and the position isnt that bad for me.
    Id rather have the Station name there, maybe its a bit small and overlapping on the tracks but it is just a text on the map, it doesnt need much design or attention to the position its placed (for me) As long as the Clapham Junction text is at Clapham Junction, its fine.
    I would absolutely take it that way it looks now!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Matt mentioned this yesterday. The entire map module needs to be rebuilt. Even such an inconspicuous interference (station names) makes the game unstable.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I do wish they would stop referring to multiple unit trains as "locomotives". I keep thinking something interesting is about to be released only to find it's another third rail unit. As professional train sim builders you'd think they'd know the difference.

• Like Like x 9
  11. Tom Fresco

True but then i ask myself why they are showing a Screenshot with names on the map, even If its a map for testing. They know that this is something we want, and i dont think they're publishing Screenshots with stuff we won't get anymore. Could be though.

But this isnt a dealbreaker, im hyped as much for L2B as i am for Riesa Dresden.

• Like Like x 3
  12. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Interesting dev article, I hope they aren't lying when they say "We want to make sure that the locos are as accurate as we can make them.";)

cough cough *HBL* cough cough *BR 112* cough

• Like Like x 12
  13. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Matt said yesterday that everything has its name internally, meaning that if they manage to develop the tech for the in-game map to show the names it should start showing them everywhere automatically without needing to update each route one by one.

• Like Like x 4
  14. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Nice article, the map of Clapham Junction is daunting, I love it! Let’s hope Rush Hour lives up to its name.

15. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Whilst all those sidings and lines look impressive at Clapham Junction, I fear that only around 25% of the track shown will be usable and will have trains on. As the sidings and track is used by South Western Railway, which won’t be featured in Rush Hour.

This begs the question as how do you stop Clapham Junction from looking and feeling dead?

• Like Like x 11
  16. DeStijl

DeStijl Well-Known Member

Well, you don't. You just write up a marketing blurb about how it's a busy and exciting timetable, and then sell it.

• Like Like x 24
  17. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

Possibly just an oversight as per dev build.
    Station names has been requested from day 1, but only more then "it is in the works" hasn't got to in almost 3.5 years.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I know you mean well, but you shouldn't presume fo speak for anyone but yourself. Have a better weekend.:)

• Like Like x 9
  19. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

It's truly wonderful to see that London-Brighton will be ported over from TS2012 to TSW 2. This is a route (along with South London Network), that I really want to play in TSW 2, and learn as an in depth driving simulation.

To help with route-learning and immersion, I really hope that the developers will leave enough headroom in the optimisation to permit light sources to be used on the front of the trains, so that I can run services at night, picking out speed limit signs, without relying on the HUD.

It's unfortunate that lights on the front of trains didn't make the cut as a feature in Cathcart Circle Line (CCL). I was really looking forward to the CCL, as a (hopefully temporary) substitute for the South London Line. I do hope that the London-Brighton route will not get the same treatment as CCL, leaving players to plough through the inky darkness of the Sussex countryside at 90mph, with nothing to light their way.

But if the worst happens, maybe someone will make a mod for PC players enabling you to use the Light of Earendil, you know, just in case anyone has left a giant spider called Shelob on the line, just south of Hassocks.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I was just saying it for anyone that may have positive feedback that hasn’t been able to see this article yet . I’ll make sure this doesn’t happen again . Thanks :)

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Super excited for this route.
    Nice to see this article today, too. Desperate to know how the PS5 version of TSW 2 will work the PS4 TSW 2 save file. Hopefully they can tell us more about this soon.

• Like Like x 1
  22. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Next week comes probably Washington article for the Northeast Corridor Route.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  23. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

You would hope not as the 377's headlights on ECW do cast light onto the track and other objects close by.

24. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Honestly, DTG release some information and all the moaners and negative comments come out...... oh hang on, wait a minute. :D

Seriously, it’s great to see information about the work in progress and great to see that people are positive about it. I’m really looking forward to it.

• Like Like x 5
  25. Coastway trainspotter

This must be the first time this has ever happened

26. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It's not New York.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

28. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

...do you know someone nobody else does? It’s actually Boston - Providence which is on the NEC.

• Like Like x 6
  29. synthetic.angel

London to Brighton is going to have the Class 387.

But maybe the lights on the front of the Class 387 are really very weak, like way weaker than a candle, like the Class 314 on Cathcart, so that the light given off isn't enough to be visible bouncing off even the most reflective surfaces known to person-kind, such as on speed limit signs, or people wearing hi-vi clothing. Or maybe they use a light with magic properties, where that light gets completely absorbed by every material it hits, including mirrors. I just don't know. Time will tell.

Personally, I am a bit worried the lights on the Class 377 will have to be switched off as well, for use on ECW with the Class 314..... sorry... I mean the Class 313..... coming to that route.... If it turns out that the Class 313 is a bit of a performance drain, then a quick way to recover some GPU time would be to strip the lights off the Class 377. So maybe they will do that. And does it really matter if they do? After all - very few people really care that much about having working lights on the front of British rolling stock.... apparently....

• Like Like x 5
  30. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Question: How do you plan to release your rush hour feature to the preserved collection? Train Sim World 2 is almost 1 year old and in all this time you have added PIS to 2 dlcs out of what? 30? Do you really believe you will manage to add a different feature to the same dlcs when you havent even managed to release the PIS for those? I doubt you will be able to, atleast not in this speed in this century

• Like Like x 8
  31. Doomotron

The Class 313 and 314 are a lot older than the 377 and 387, so their lights will be a lot dimmer because lights weren't as powerful as they are now. It's worth noting that yellow fronts were first introduced because of weak headlights!

• Like Like x 3
  32. londonmidland

They’re actually quite bright (unless you’re being sarcastic)

• Like Like x 5
  33. HaibaraHariko

HaibaraHariko Active Member

Quick facts:

Currently we have 23 routes (excluding CCL which is coming next week). We have PIS in 5 "new" routes (BKL, HMA, LGV, SEH, HBK) and they have added it to 2 "old" routes (RT and LIRR). Now we have 16 left.

Then there are 3 fright routes (SPG, OSD, CRR) and 3 "vintage" routes (WSR, NTP, TVL) so no modern PIS for them. Also there are 2 routes from Rivet (IOW and ARL) and they are not going to add PIS. Now it's 8.

As we know they are working on MSB and SFJ now, while the PIS for ECW is already done several months ago. Therefore we only have 5 routes to go, which is GWE, RSN, RRO, HRR and SKA.

I agree that they are slow (especially with ECW) but Adam has been telling us about the progress in the streams. There's no need to push them.

• Like Like x 13
  34. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I ask myself, who is making those legacy system decisions all the time?

• Like Like x 2
  35. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I always perceive it purely as information - we ask - DTG gives the answer, of a certain degree of generality :) BR o7

36. synthetic.angel

I know they are. They probably conform to the LOCO/PAS TSI and have extremely bright lights.

But there is this myth going around that all British trains are equipped with lights that barely glimmer, and only just enough to gently stimulate the rods in your eye, but not enough to reflect anything back off shiny surfaces that can also stimulate the rods in your eye. So - about 1/100th candle strength then.......

• Like Like x 2
  37. synthetic.angel

LOL.... yellow paint existed before trains were invented, early yellow pigments were first used in cave paintings about 5000 years ago.... so if lack of powerful halogen/LED lights was the issue, then UK steam engines would have been painted yellow (like The Rocket...) all the way through the last two centuries.

Small Yellow Panels were first introduced on UK diesels because they are considerably quieter than steam engines. And electric trains are even quieter still. The main purpose of yellow front-ends is for visibility of slow speed moves in depots and yards, and if a loco is soley based in a depot and moving around intensely, then you get chevron/wasp stripes. The yellow front is mandated by UK National Technical Rules throught the GB Railway Group Standard GM/RT2131. It's an effective passive safety feature, and it has probably saved the life of quite a few trackworkers over the last fifty years. Even if it saved one life, it would have been worth it, and it probably has, especially since the early diesels were painted in a camo-green colour... which didn't contrast well with things like trees....

New trains (like the Crossrail fleet), built according to the Loco/PAS TSI can be run without a yellow front-end, partly because they will have very powerful lights on the front (to conform with European standards), although I think that there still needs to be a Risk Assessment on visibility and audibility, taking into account the scope of operation of the train. So a shunter probably wouldn't get a free pass through compliance with the TSI (but I don't know this for sure... but anyway, it's not controversial or unreasonably practicable to use yellow paint).

The Class 313 and Class 314 have always had lights on the front that could pick out speed limit signs, and make them visible to the driver, except, maybe, in the most foggy conditions. When they ran in ScotRail livery, they also had a huge bright LED headlight (modelled in TSW on the Class 314, but not as a light source).

• Like Like x 3
  38. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

For me this is the problem. Rivet should be required to meet the same standards as DTG, otherwise they shouldn't be allowed into the elusive partner program.

• Like Like x 8
  39. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Didnt think about that. Seemed to me to be a bigger list of dlcs who still need a PIS update but I dont really agree with your last points. Fact is, they released the Pis in those 2 dlcs around 7 months after it being mentioned first in the roadmap. Might have been finished with it a little bit earlier, but why would we as costumers care? Nothing prevents them from releasing it earlier when they are done with working on it unless it was bugged and with that the claim of it being done several months ago isnt true.

Its really frustrating when you think about how trainsimcz got the PIS to work on 3 dlcs in a matter of 1-2 weeks with 0 modding tools means questions like the one i asked need to be asked. Theres definitely something wrong in the development if it takes them this long to get this to work and I really wonder what it is.

• Like Like x 3
  40. londonmidland

The ECW PIS has been ready for MONTHS but the update has been queued due to a backlog or something. It’s simply down to incompetent management.

• Like Like x 7
  41. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

How do you know they ain’t going to add PIS to IOW and Arosa ?

42. Doomotron

Because the phrases 'Rivet Games' and 'post-launch support' repel each other like magnets.

• Like Like x 17
  43. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

So their is no confirmation ? and DTG also work on rivet releases in terms of bug fixes and route improvements/upgrades as pointed out by the preservation teams focus on WSR

44. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

West Somerset Railway is a DTG product not a Rivet product?

Rivet have given no indication that they'll upgrade their routes. They still have some major bugs that they've not pulled their finger out and fixed. Bugs such as the 483 custom liveries not working, of the fact the Arosa timetable is completely impossible.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. Tom Fresco

And for all of them except RSN there are mods which adds working PIS screens.
    But i hope that DTG will implemet it officially eventually for console players.

Back to the topic (or kind of)
    Did you know that the first station towars London, preston park, is on ECW?
    Took a service there, maybe this was a hint for L2B since TSW 2020?;)
    20210605193446_1.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  46. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Well that is the catch with this statement, isn't it? If they say they could not make them more accurate, they technically didn't lie... Since they made them as accurate as they could.

• Like Like x 1
  47. Coastway trainspotter

I think it’s probably just there due to it being so close to Brighton

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. Coastway trainspotter

To be honest though , I don’t think DTG could’ve been planning to do a route a year and a half in advance

• Like Like x 2
  49. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Nice article about the Brighton Mainline. I'm very excited to get that route in TSW2. With that we will have the 4th route with London STATIONS. After the iconic Paddington Station, some of the famous stations of the London Underground and Sankt Pancras International we will get the Victoria Station. Beside the 2 versions of the Electrostar I could bet and I hope that there is the 66 for freight action and shunting (intermodal action beside the JNA waggons would be nice). I'm very curious about if we will see the river Thames in the near of Victoria Station. And a future Thameslink dlc would be very nice too for making that route 100 % authentic.

• Like Like x 2
  50. synthetic.angel

Then you should let DTG know that you are not content with the products that DTG sold to you after DTG published them, whether or not the work was completed by a team in Scotland, and then promoted by DTG, and sold under DTG's name on Steam, Microsoft Store and Playstation Store, according to their agreements with DTG.

I suggest you ask DTG why DTG has not pulled DTG's finger out with these DTG products (by contacting their colleagues/collaborators in Scotland) about the problems that you report with the DTG products that you are referring to.

• Like Like x 2