Understanding The Speedometer Hud (?)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Jun 4, 2021.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Yes, I know that lots of threads about this topic already exist, but I'm adding to their number because of something I recently discovered and cannot remember having seen it noted in the forums.

First, this is the Speedometer HUD I'm writing about, pictured here in a German engine:
    Speedometer HUD.jpg

My light-bulb moment regards only the Grade Indicator portion of this HUD:
    Grade indicator.jpg
    And the key question is, as indicated, the direction of travel of the engine. Here's what triggered my light-bulb moment: after completing the necessary steps to set up the engine, including moving the reverser to forward, I turned on AFB, advanced the throttle a bit, and set the AFB lever to the current speed limit. Although the slope indicator seemed to indicate 2.0% down, acceleration was very slow. That's when, for some illogical reason, I pressed the 2 key, which showed me the rear end of the train. Why not the front end? Then I remembered the previous session, which involved preparing this train by coupling its rack of freight cars to the front of the engine. This session, however, began with the driver already seated and looking in the direction of the destination point. In other words, located in what was actually the rear cab of the engine! So what? So everything: that's what!
    In this case, the rear of the train was headed up, not down the grade (which was, in fact, steeper than 0.2%)!

Now, some clever forum member will immediately claim that the engine indicator in the Slope (grade) indicator should, in a case such as this, flip around so that its front is pointing uphill. And that's a valid notion -- however, it doesn't happen to concord with how this indicator behaves in TSW2. This is one of those "Istanbul, not Constantinople" issues in which accepting what is makes more sense -- while driving, at least -- than griping about what one thinks should be.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Ich protestiere! :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

:DFirst thing that came to my mind as well;). Unfortunately we don’t have any Diesels with the DB „integrated cab“ architecture driving around in TSW, yet. And the 182 didn’t have a Diesel, last time I checked…

yokes aside, I, too, spotted this. And just like you, LastTrainToClarksville, I have just accepted the fact that it is the way it is. Happens as well on 112 services on HHL if you turn them around and drive them back…

• Like Like x 1
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Because this is 'cabin-related' :)

As for this mysterious indicator - this is common knowledge:

Cabin # 1 is OK when we are going forward, and 'reversed', when going backward.
    Cabin # 2 is OK when we are going backward, and 'reversed', when going forward.

going forward = the reverser in 'forward' position
    going backward = the reverser in 'reverse' position

EDIT
    Thank you, thank you \o/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. OpenMinded

But was this ever being acknowledged by DTG to be a bug? Or is it rather a feature?

Again, can accept it as is, however, still doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

• Like Like x 2
  6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This is how it was designed, this is how it works. DTG understands our dissatisfaction. Maybe they will change that someday :)

EDIT
    True, this is confusing :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. sukihersch

sukihersch Member

I think feature, afaict

• Like Like x 1
  8. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

What perplexes me is that the gradient indicator functioned as expected in TSW2020, where it would show the gradient relative to the direction of travel. In TSW2, it is fixed in accordance to the designated front-face of the locomotive, so if you are using the second cab, the gradient will appear reversed. I much prefer the older system and really am puzzled why it was downgraded.

Cheers

• Like Like x 8
  9. mancunian#7861

mancunian#7861 Active Member

I've often been puzzled by the gradient display too. I guess now I know. :)

10. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

My guess is as follows: When you‘re standing still (especially while shunting), the TSW2020 indicator was ambiguous. You couldn‘t deduct from the HUD in which direction the gradient is upwards and vice versa. If you‘re doing a lot of back and forth in a yard, I think the TSW2 version is actually better.

The real problem is double ended locomotives (therefore, unfortunately, almost anything that isn‘t a North American diesel locomotive) as the indicator doesn‘t flip when changing cabs (or desks in case of a Class 20). If that could be implemented, I‘d be happy, but I‘d keep the indicator staying the same when you‘re reversing for the above-mentioned reasons.

• Like Like x 2
  11. OpenMinded

thanks for this attempted explanation! Sounds plausible.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LastTrainToClarksville

Perché?

• Like Like x 1
  13. OpenMinded

Because it’s not a diesel…

• Like Like x 2
  14. breblimator

breblimator Guest

15. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

A quick way to check is to open the 2D map. The icon for your loco always has the rounded end to the "front" and the square end to the "back."

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. OpenMinded

Didn’t mean to argue. LastTrainToClarksville asked in Italien why you are protesting and I answered;) Thats at least how I have understood it… I liked his post as well.

sorry, didn’t mean to cause confusion:o

• Like Like x 1
  17. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Yes. This is the best method.

18. LastTrainToClarksville

Oops! I'll edit my OP posthaste.

19. LastTrainToClarksville

• Like Like x 1
  20. breblimator

breblimator Guest

We had argued about this before. It doesn't even make sense. I think we all agree, it doesn't work well. This is annoying. Not everyone looks at this forum looking for enigmatic explanations. They should fix it.

• Like Like x 3
  21. sukihersch

sukihersch Member

I mean for me it usually works fine with some quirks or niggles but I can see why they happen. I somewhat feel I prefer it the way it is than changing it to a 'direction of travel' based system as has been suggested (or as apparently was the case in TSW2020)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021