Brighton Main Line Branch Suggestion: Plumpton And Cooksbridge

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by cloudyskies21, Jun 4, 2021.

1. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

In the upcoming Brighton Main Line Rush Hour route, it would be a nice addition if DTG could/would introduce the branch line off towards Lewes for the Victoria-Eastbourne/Ore services.

After Wivelsfield (on the Brighton Main Line), the line diverges and stops at just two stations, Plumpton and Cooksbridge, before heading to Lewes and onwards on the East Coastway Line.

I suggest being able to drive the service as far as Cooksbridge which is an extra 6.5 miles (10km) of track from the Brighton Main Line at Wivelsfield.

While routes cannot be joined up, it would feel immersive as if we could almost drive at least a full service between Victoria and Eastbourne (well at least if you own ECW). Otherwise, these two stations of Plumpton and Cooksbridge will never be seen and exist in a gap between BML and ECW.

Thoughts welcome.

• Like Like x 3
  2. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Much requested idea. Being such a short connecting line it should be included. It hasn't however been mentioned as such so I presume we aren't getting it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Personally I'd prefer the short branch to Hove... A lot more likely to happen.

4. cloudyskies21

I'm hoping for some nice surprises regarding extra branch lines. As you say, no details have yet to be given (well we know the main line is 50 miles but will there be any extras?) however with the likes of the upcoming Cathcart, Cane Creek and the Dresden Rush route in particular, these all feature some kind of branch lines so I'm definitely got my fingers crossed. For Brighton Main Line, I'm also hoping that Reigate will be included rather than terminating at Redhill.

I think that branches on any route however small add so much extra value rather than a straight Point A to B and back. Obviously, have got to be realistic but there are so many exciting opportunities for this route.

Of course, but I'd rather have Hove as part of a later West Coastway route release so we can get more use from the much-delayed Class 313.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Good shout. Do Reigate services go to London Bridge instead of Victoria though?

• Like Like x 1
  6. cloudyskies21

Cheers. Nope they go straight to Victoria (takes about 50 minutes). For London Bridge, you'd have to change at Redhill and pick up a Thameslink service.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

What about including London Bridge aswell, would that be plausible?

• Like Like x 2
  8. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

They really should make London Bridge imo.

• Like Like x 1
  9. cloudyskies21

Indeed, but I'm sure we'll hopefully see this as a potential new route some point down the line with joint Southern/Southeastern layers. :)

• Like Like x 1