I Hate The Ocean

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kenobi#1878, Jun 2, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

15.8%
  2. No

47.4%
  3. I already have played

36.8%
  1. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

“Why is this relevant?” I hear you ask. Because I played subnautica. And I think if you enjoy fear and horror games you should too.
    What is subnautica?
    Subnautica is a first person open world survival game that takes place on an alien water planet filled with deadly and dangerous predators. If you really care about age ratings it’s a PEGI 7 (on console, at least).
    How long is the story?
    Depends on how you play, if you play games quickly I’d say 5-10 hours but if you play games at a relaxed pace as I do 20+ hours.
    How scary on a scale of 1-10 and why?
    I’d say 7-8 because of less so terrifying designs, but jump scares and brilliantly horrifying sound design.
    The Creatures are scary design-wise but it scores top marks in terror.
    What do I mean about terror?
    The game is very good at bringing out a primal fear of the unknown, the dark and the ocean. There is a good video somewhere on YouTube that explains this well

Please reply with any opinions, wether you will play or not, any grammatical mistakes and so on

2. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I don’t play it but my friend does and it scares the heck outa him

• Like Like x 1
  3. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Already finished both games :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

This game was given away for free on PS4 in Sony's "Stay/Play At Home" initiative. I did try it, and I do like crafting games (currently on 1500+ hours in Fallout 76).... but I could not work out how to craft clean water. So after my water supplies ran out, and after my hydrated food ran out.... I died of thirst.... ;-O

But what I saw of it was quite beautiful. I will pick it up again eventually.... although I was hoping that this would just be a good chill out game.... rather than a scare fest. I have Five Nights At Freddy's in VR for the full on scares, for when I need to clear out my ventricles..... (and hope that they continue to work afterwards).

• Like Like x 1
  5. kenobi#1878

I think i wet myself once in my original play through lol, if you want a good play through watch Matts YouTube channel, he has a really good play through

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

First rule of Subnautica - scan everything (one of the first "fish" you encounter can be used in the fabricator to craft drinking water, the hint is in the name)
    Second rule of Subnautica - Read your PDA
    Third rule of Subnautica - Go deeper...

EDIT: wasn't intended as criticism, just some people (my wife is one of them) often struggle with games where the answers aren't presented directly to the player and Subnautica really rewards an inquisitive attitude.

Or if you want, you can play in Freedom mode (rather than Survival) which means food and water are irrelevant (you still need to worry about oxygen though)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. kenobi#1878

That last one, I don’t know about that one. I still have the occasional nightmare of the stuff in this game, I hope below zero is more, friendly (damn reapers, I like sleeping at night)

8. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Oh yeah - I suspect that the game mechanic isn't as sophisticated or as difficult as things I have played in the past - and it is good to have complexity (I find it rewarding)...... I was just giving the game a trial run, partly to decide if I should buy it for a friend - had I been able to craft water and survive another hour, then I think I would have saved and still put it into storage for now..... I want to get through Horizon Zero Dawn, Control, We Happy Few and The Outer Worlds, before I give Subnautica another shot..... or at least I did....

.....but this thread has intrigued me enough to think about re-prioritising... especially if it can be finished in 10-20 hours. I am about to embark on a round of fairly intensive sim racing prep (three to four hours per day, maybe building to eight or nine hours per day)... and maybe I can squeeze Subnautica in first... hmmm..... ;-)

9. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

There's an odd crossover point where depth becomes a non-issue (mainly because at that point you're almost always in a vehicle, so oxygen isn't an issue). For me the most frightening bits (apart from the first time I went in to the Deep Grand Reef, which I quickly dubbed "Nope-ville" for all the warpers and crabsquid) were at ~3-400m depth, whereas once you get in to the Lost River down around 8-900m you lose all that sense of worry (plus there are bigger things to worry about)

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

I would recommend NOT watching any YouTube videos, and go into the game with as little prior knowledge as possible. The score as well as the atmosphere combine to make Subnautica a unique experience. Especially when you unlock the blueprint for the Cyclops Submarine, and really get to explore the depths. Many a brown trouser moment will be had.

I haven’t played Subnautica: Below Zero yet. Though I hope that it lives up to its predecessor.

11. kenobi#1878

I agree, but watching play throughs after yours is fun

12. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

I only completed the game to earn quick gamerscore

13. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

Oh of course, afterwards is fine.

14. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

I'd recommend the playtrough by RT Game, very nice and fun to watch. I played the game myself but also really enjoyed watching videos of it (seeing playtroughs of it made me buy it).
    A very fun challenging (and scary!) Game!

15. potatopc#6548

potatopc#6548 New Member

I have 550 hours on it and for me it was never that scary even when I started probably due to my inherent love of marine wildlife.