Track Safety - Logic Suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by john_decoy, Jun 7, 2021.

1. john_decoy

john_decoy New Member

The game should reset/fail the player if we come in to contact with the live rail, as a realistic feature of safety
    awareness that real rail workers have to consider all the time. In TSW2 we can get run over by as many trains at full speed and step on as many live lines without consequences and even be awarded at the end of the route just because our train arrived on time, I think safety would be a really fun, realistic element to add and would keep players aware and engaged around the tracks just like in real life.

I appreciate that death/animations would be completely unnecessary and very time consuming for a train simulator game, I am proposing a more of a logic element, where if you're touching the live line / getting hit by a train at full speed the game just fails you on the mission for safety disregard.

2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

In real life you can step over a live rail. In TSW you have no control over your legs, just the direction you walk in. It would restrict the player’s movements when carrying out tasks that may need rails to be crossed if the game ended just because you passed over an open live rail.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

As if the community isn't already upset about the SPAD game over or the overrunning a station game over, let's add another way of losing all progress on a service run.
    Whilst TSW enables the player to walk on the rails this is neither a major gameplay feature nor should it be expanded, in my opinion. TSW is about driving on the rails, not walking on them. If TSW would ever get a rail worker mode then such a feature might be useful, but at the moment that is not the case.
    You're not supposed to walk on the rails in any way, which is indicated in the game by a red circle around the screen centre. If you add a feature that is drawing players onto the rails this might influence some players (even if it is a very tiny amount) to think they can cross the rails in real life because they managed to do it in the game. Of course, this is only an assumption but DTG seems to be concerned about such things. They have blocked the front door on the Bakerloo Line stock to stop people from walking down the tunnels. So not having such a feature may increase the safety on the railway more than having it.

• Like Like x 5
  4. john_decoy

john_decoy New Member

Exactly, which is why I'm not talking on the animation side, but more up to the players awareness, e.g crossing the track at live rail gaps, which can be found in many scenarios and all stations.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  5. john_decoy

john_decoy New Member

I see what you mean, especially with the example of restricting the doors on the Bakerloo line saying it's not safe here, but if anything that supports the idea of also restricting free roam on the track saying it's not safe to do this too, instead of inferring (to potentially some people) that they can step on any rails they like, in my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  6. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I think there if enough done for awareness as there is this red pointer on the screen as soon as you step on the rails.