Jæren Line (jærbanen) Stavanger - Egersund

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ScandiTrains, Nov 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ScandiTrains

ScandiTrains Member

Route suggestion
    Jærbanen is located in south-western Norway, and is a railway between Stavanger and Egersund. It was first opened in 1878, and streches 75 km (46 miles). The railway is in fact a part of Sørlandsbanen, which is a railway streching all the way from the capital, Oslo, to Stavanger via Kristiansand. The route is served by commuter and regional trains, as well as cargo trains.

Stations served by commuter trains (regional train stops are marked bold):
    Stavanger S. (Stavanger Central station)
    Paradis
    Mariero
    Jåttåvågen
    Gausel
    Sandnes Sentrum
    Skeiane (some commuter trains terminate here)
    Ganddal
    Øksnavadporten
    Klepp
    Bryne
    Nærbø (some commuter trains terminate here)
    Varhaug
    Vigrestad
    Brusand
    Ogna
    Sirevåg
    Hellvik
    Egersund
    There is a freight terminal located at Ganddal

The train operators on this line are Go-Ahead Nordic and Green Cargo + Cargo Net.

Landscape/nature/towns/cities
    When running out of Stavanger Central station, the line runs along the Gandsfjord. At the other side of the fjord, there are some massive rocky mountains. The landscape on the railway-side of the fjord, is densely populated. The fjord ends at Sandnes, where the line go further down towards the Jæren-area. After Ganddal station, we come out to a far less populated area. At Jæren, the landscape becomes very flat with few trees. There are some towns at Jæren, such as Klepp, Bryne, Nærbø, Varhaug and Vigrestad, whereas Bryne is the largest one. Between Varhaug and Ogna, you may get a glimpse of the North Sea. After Ogna, the landscape becomes drastically rockier with many lakes. The line goes through many tunels, as well as many curves, till it then ends at Egersund. The line continues on, towards Kristiansand and Oslo, but that bit could be another suggestion.

From Stavanger, the line have double track as far as Skeiane. From Skeiane to Egersund there is only single-track, except for some stations.

The max speed for the line is 130 km/h (80 mph)

Trains running on the route (passenger)
    Class 72 (BM 72)
    Operates as: Commuter trains
    Maximum speed: 160 km/h (100 mph)
    Extra: They have a VERY epic motor sound
    [​IMG]
    Class 73 (BM 73)
    Operates as: Regional trains
    Maximum speed: 210 km/h (130 mph)
    Extra: Tilting trains
    [​IMG]
    Class 18, locomotive (EL 18) (regional)
    Operates as: Regional trains
    Maximum speed: 160 km/h (100 mph)
    Extra: Sounds similar to the german BR 101 in game, but do not reuse sounds! :)
    [​IMG]
    Wagons (for EL 18)
    Class 5
    [​IMG]
    WLAB 2 (for night train services)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 24
  2. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Definitely gets my approval.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BlackTabby

BlackTabby Active Member

I approve of this, as long as the Class 73 can have both NSB and Go Ahead liveries

4. nsbtog18

nsbtog18 Well-Known Member

Wlab 2
    1599259510_07WLAB21099RDSC2892.jpg
    EL 18
    129495170_10160511367235760_659587733840764271_o.jpg
    B5
    20201205_132837.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. ScandiTrains

ScandiTrains Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alexosterrieth

Alexosterrieth New Member

This route would be really really nice!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Would love to see this, such a different route and unique locos

• Like Like x 1
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Any Norwegian (scenic) route would be marvellous in TSW2.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Raffomatiko

Raffomatiko New Member

Definitely would love to see some nordic routes in Train Sim World 2!

• Like Like x 3
  10. ScandiTrains

ScandiTrains Member

Hello everyone! I have posted some new videos on my YouTube channel, which is interesting things to watch from the Jæren Line. The first video is a BM 73 passing Ganddal at 130 km/h (80 mph). The second is a full journey video (passenger) from Stavanger to Ganddal. In the third video, a BM 72 is departing Stavanger (motor sounds from the outside *very epic motor sounds*). The last video is a short sound video with BM 73 departing motor sounds (with some wheelslip).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  11. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Maximum speed for one of these trains actually 210 km/h 130mph for the BM73 because the first order of those had the Oslo airport high speed Railway being the first line to run on. Second question how does the Norwegian train safety system work is it like PZB LZB Germany Austria where you must acknowledge it or UK AWS TPWS makes a ping sound is heard and failure to reset results in an emergency brake

• Like Like x 1
  12. nsbtog18

nsbtog18 Well-Known Member

We have ATC in Norway, ATC is developed both as partial speed monitoring (DATC) and complete speed monitoring (FATC). DATC monitors that trains do not pass stop signals (red light), while FATC also monitors that the maximum speed for the section is not exceeded.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ScandiTrains

ScandiTrains Member

Yes, it is true that the BM 73 have a maximum permitted speed for up to 210 km/h, however on the "Sørlandsbanen" (Southern railway), the trains run up to 160 km/h (100 mph). On the Jæren line they run up to 130 km/h (80 mph) (part of Sørlandsbanen). The airport express train that runs from Drammen to Oslo Airport Gardermoen (via Oslo), is the BM 71. The BM 71's and the BM 73's are very similar to each other. The biggest difference is that the BM 73 is a tilting train, whereas the BM 71 is not. This is probably due to that there are no sharp curves on the line towards Gardermoen. The BM 73 runs on lines in Norway with many sharp curves, so they can just tilt with a relatively higher speed than other trains.

• Like Like x 1
  14. driverwoods#1787

Thank you for telling me about this and I'm wondering do Norwegian trains have something like Sifa Germany Austria DSD UK Alerter United States and Canada. Speaking of ATC EBICAB 700 is it the same system as Sweden or not?

• Like Like x 1
  15. ScandiTrains

ScandiTrains Member

Yes, norwegian trains use Sifa as a "deadmans pedal", just like Germany and Austria.
    And yes, the ATC used in Norway is the same as they use in Sweden. The only difference is that the norwegian ATC is split in FATC and DATC.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. J.T.

J.T. Active Member

Hmmm, I think for the Norwegian route I might even be willing to break my policy of not buying any DLC ;)

17. driverwoods#1787

The Manual for this route will need to say It is recommended that you do not learn ATC & Sifa at the same time assuming newcomers to TSW 2 got this route instead of HMA & Hamburg-Lubeck. That was inspired by "It is recommended that you do not try to learn PZB and SIFA at the same time", found on Page 82 of TSW 2020 manual which is Main Speesart Bahn. Speaking of Norwegian FATC/DATC does it make a voice prompt of acknowledging which is found on German/Austrian PZB

• Like Like x 1
  18. ScandiTrains

ScandiTrains Member

No, there are no voice prompt of acknowledging anything on norwegian trains as far as I know. The only thing that you have to acknowledge is Sifa, but that is done with a sound. Some German trains just make sound noises for PZB instead of a man or a woman saying "Zugbeeinflussung". The ATC also have a sound, just like the AWS and DVD in UK for instance. I am pretty sure all norwegian trains make the same sounds when it comes to ATC. When it comes to Sifa, I am not really sure yet. Check out this video when the train driver shows the ATC in the start.

19. RailjetCD

RailjetCD New Member

Where do the freight trains go?

20. ScandiTrains

ScandiTrains Member

Hi. Nearly all of them go to Alnabru in Oslo, and some also stop north of Krisitiandand at Dalane. So for this route it would be from Ganddal freight terminal to the end of Egersund.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

EL 18s look awesome in all liveries, it seems. I like that dark blue livery with lighter stripes, and the Wlab 2 carriages also look great.

Shots of trains at Jåttåvågen Station:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  22. ScandiTrains

ScandiTrains Member

Yeah, very nice liveries indeed. Funny enough, this is my own recorded video on YT. :cool::)

• Like Like x 1
  23. Lokomotiv

Lokomotiv Active Member

I hope you don't mind, but I went into Google Earth and made a kmz file of the line just to get a feel for it, and if anyone wants to explore then feel free to download the kmz here. Placemarks also include distance and time from Stavanger which I got from Wikipedia.

I recommend viewing it in Google Earth Pro as you get the opportunity to fly along the track using Google Earth's Play Tour feature. I did include both directions for the line.

Here are some guidelines on how to play tours in Google Earth:
    ge-guide.jpg

ge-play.jpg

You may want to play around with the camera range, tilt, and speed to your liking.
    Google Earth Pro > Tools > Options...
    ge-play-tour-options.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  24. derek#2931

derek#2931 Well-Known Member

The BM73 looks like the APTs younger brother

• Like Like x 1
  25. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Gotta admit that BM73 got a badass look. Would buy the route just that train.

• Like Like x 1
  26. ScandiTrains

ScandiTrains Member

Really interesting! Thanks for showing!

• Like Like x 1