Tsw2- Class 115 For West Somerset Railway

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MrSouthernDriver, Jun 6, 2021.

1. MrSouthernDriver

MrSouthernDriver Well-Known Member

upload_2021-6-6_11-9-3.jpeg

The British Rail Class 115 diesel multiple units were 41 high density sets which operated the outer-suburban services

Tutorial Dialogue (just a concept)

“Welcome to this British Rail Class 115 Diesel Mechanical Multiple Unit in yellow and green livery”
    “climb aboard and sit in the driver seat to get started”

[player climbs on board and sits in seat]

“The main switch is used to activate the control desk”

[player uses main switch]

“marker lights are used to let others know that this locomotive is operational”

[player uses marker lights]

[player sets the throttle to full to start the locomotive]

“This DMU has 4 engines, all of which needs to be started”

[player starts up all 4 engines]

[player then idles the throttle]

“the rear of the train must be set up manually for each journey”

[player heads to the end of the train]

“red marker lights will indicate that this is the rear of the operational train”

[player puts the markers to red]
    [player releases the handbrake]

“this train is now ready to go, go back to the front of the train”

[player heads back to the front of the train and sits in the drivers seat]

“give a quick glance at the platform to see if it’s safe and then unlock the doors”

[player unlocks the doors and completes passenger boarding]

“boarding is now complete, set the doors to locked”

[player closes doors]

“use the reverser to set the direction of travel”

[player sets the reverser]

“This train features a gear system similar to cars on the road, to obtain higher speed, the active gear must be increased at the appropriate time, when accelerating and the RPM dial reads in the yellow zone, it is appropriate to change up a gear”

[player puts the gear into 1]

“the brakes on this train act like a water tap, the higher the setting, the faster the train will stop, open the valve to select the desired pressure, then close it again to maintain that pressure”

[player releases the brakes]
    [player also sets the handbrake to off]

“increase the throttle to start moving, do not apply too much power too quickly, it’s important to provide a smooth ride for passengers”

[player increases throttle]

“the speed out of mine head will increase to 25mph, it will be appropriate to increase to the next gear and the train will accelerate further”

[player reaches the 25 speed limit]
    “The process of changing the gear has 7 steps, reduce the engine RPM by setting the throttle to idle: engage the new gear : then return to the desired throttle application, let’s try.”

[player idles throttle and changes gear and throttles]

“to cruise at a constant speed, the highest gear should be engaged. This reduces the speed the engine operates at, and is fuel efficient.”

“let’s approach our next station which is Dunster, the key aspect is to make a gentle, controlled and approach”

[player stops at the station]

“well done! Practice makes perfect. Give a quick glance at the platform and unlock the doors”

[player opens doors and completes passenger boarding]

“Good work, that is the basics covered. A manual can also be obtained that covers more detail on this locomotive”

Here are a few videos on the class 115

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

We need more 1st generation DMUs. If I remember correctly, the Class 115 was used out of London Marylebone on Chiltern services.

• Like Like x 1
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There’s no need to put stuff like tutorial scripts in your suggestions. You are not creating the content when you suggest something, you are just suggesting a train or route you would like to see. DTG can copy their own Class 101 script themselves for the tutorial when the time comes.

However, I would like more old trains like these in the game but I’d maybe want a better route for this than WSR if it was made.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. elarthur

A London Marylebone route perhaps but it was somewhat run down at that time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

Might not be accurate but maybe it could sub on to Diesel legends of the great western

• Like Like x 1
  6. elarthur

This would be better as the Class 117/121.

• Like Like x 1
  7. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

I personally think there are Other First gen DMUs that can be added to the game like the Class 124 on NTP or the Class 117 on Diesel Legends that would be much better for TSW

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  8. elarthur

Classes such as 123,124 and 128 amongst a few others, are a bit harder to recreate due to there being no survivors to work from. However I totally agree with this as all 3 mentioned above were pretty unique types. As for the 117, there are various similarities with the 101 in mechanical terms but the 117 needs to be bundled with the 121 which was the single car variant with its antler exhaust pipes at one end (guard end I think).

• Like Like x 1
  9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Perfect for this route have West Somerset Railway NTP TVP and GWML London Paddington to reading Diesel Legends the class 117 can layer there.

• Like Like x 2
  10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

But slightly more desirable than the class 101. At least it is a suburban DMU which ran out of a London termini.

• Like Like x 1
  11. theorganist

The class 115 with a NSE period Chiltern route would be a nice add-on, especially with the semaphore signals which were still in operation then. It is a good length for a TSW route. Some ran out of Allerton depot up to the mid 1980's although I am not sure exactly sure on which routes, they might have operated some Liverpool to Manchester services.

I think a class 117 would be a better choice for use on the GWE route. A class 104 or 108 to run on the NTP route alongside the class 101 (which was not the dominant unit in the area at the time) would be great too.

There is plenty of material on the Railcar Association site to recreate long forgotten units. Sounds for some units would be more of an issue although there are plenty of different units preserved so something could be worked out I am sure.

• Like Like x 2
  12. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

Fun fact: the last 121 in service was in 2017, my dad travelled on it a lot as he works in Aylesbury depot

• Like Like x 2
  13. elarthur

Sounds shouldn't be too hard as most of the first generation DMUs used similar Leyland/BUT power of which many examples survive. There were a few Rolls Royce powered vehicles and a few had early Hydraulic type transmission.

14. theorganist

Yes most would be easily sourced from a similar unit. There are some class 127's preserved which were Rolls Royce engined and with hydraulic transmission. The class 123/124/128 had the same engines as the class 115 I think. The class 120 had the same engine as the class 126 of which one is preserved. I think with some units, like the class 120, the exhaust was often quite distinctive.

• Like Like x 1
  15. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

Although Rivet Games are basing the forthcoming West Cornwall local route in a (slightly) later time period, can't forget this might be nice for 1st generation DMU's - enjoying the St Ives branch with a forward facing panoramic view as a passenger.

• Like Like x 1
  16. theorganist

Absolutely, it could be another outing for the class 101 as they would have been seen on it up to the early 1990's. A class 122 bubble car would be most ideal. First generation DMU's were used on the St Ives branch up to 1996.

• Like Like x 1
  17. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

One other instant buy from me, if they keep it as detailed as the 101 of course.

18. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Looks alike a nice little train, but as long as it's limited to WSR only, much like the Class 33, I'm not interested. I want a few more routes to run my trains on.

• Like Like x 1
  19. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Im sure when steam locomotives comes to tsw2 we'll get a lot more routes to run the rolling stock from back then.

20. elarthur

The set in use on WSR is a combination of Class 115 and 117 vehicles which are broadly similar but built by BR Derby and Pressed Steel respectively. The 115s were used out of London Marylebone with the 117s out of London Paddington.

21. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

That's nice. Then lets wait with making another WSR-only train like the 115, until there's some other routes available where it can be used.