Buying Dlc Safely And Surely

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Jun 8, 2021.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I'd like some advice regarding buying DLC for both TSW and TS in a simple transaction:
    1) pick out a DLC item (route, scenario pack, rolling stock ...) from the Steam site, the Dovetail Store, a DTG sale e-mail, or within either TSW or TS

2) select a payment method (credit card, PayPal, etc.) and complete transaction

3) preferably, receive a download or a purchase key of some kind that can be used on Steam right away

What's the best way to make purchases?

(Please stick to my question without hijacking this thread?!?)

• Like Like x 1
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I have full confidence in the Steam Store. I prefer instant transfers with the use of one-time authentication codes.
    I will just add - it is worth reading the full description of the product.
    Locomotive Add-ons require "home routes" to run (TSW). BR o7

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

If you have Steam, then it definitely is the simpliest way. You're logged in, click purchase and pay with your card directly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I've never purchased anything directly from within the game (which I think simply links you to the Steam store) or from a DTG e-mail (which I think simply links you to the DTG store).

However, I've bought both from the Steam store directly and from the Dovetail store. Dovetail store gets you a key that can be activated throughout Steam, but if you want to benefit from Steam's refund policy you might want to buy directly from Steam.

5. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

Steam + PayPal is the way to go in my opinion. You get double protection from both the Steam store (plus refund policy) and PayPal.

You get no refund from DTG store, just to remember this.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

^This.

7. PeteW

PeteW Active Member

I don't really understand your question. The Steam site is "safe". The DTG store is "safe". At times there are sales on some platforms. So that could help define "best" at a particular time. I don't know how we can decide if credit card or paypal is best for you.
    Can you elaborate what the question is that you are trying to get an answer to?

8. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Never had any problems with Steam. DTG store has its issues with reliability.

9. Ben_Broomfield

Ben_Broomfield Well-Known Member

Mostly 9 out of 10 I will always go to Steam. Reliable & secure (especially if you checkout with PayPal).

Dovetail Store is my second option although only go when there’s a sale that’s not on steam. I have had issues in the past with reliability with it taking a few days to receive my code after purchase.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Steam+Paypal is OK. I sometimes use Rivet or DTG which did not cause any issues till now. If you pay with Paypal or a Credit card, you can, at least in theory, get your money back if what you ordered is not delivered properly. I never used refunds. 2 hours is a bit short to judge so I watch the preview streams.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I've bought from both the DTG and Steam stores ...zero issues with either. I never pay directly with CC...always Paypal or Steam Wallet (or combination of both)

12. anorak

anorak Member

I'm another one that agrees with the Paypal via Steam.

One other caveat though, when you go to pay for your "shopping basket" on the Steam website, there's a very unobtrusive tickbox that says something like "remember my paypal details", and it defaults to being already ticked.

I always untick it each time. I expect the Paypal password would still be needed when their popup window opens, but I'd rather keep it as separate as possible.....