Glasgow Cathcart Circle Guide And Review

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mkdog45, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

Train Sim World 2: Glasgow Cathcart Circle Guide and Review

Guide

Tutorials

There are 2 tutorials, which are:

Glasgow Cathcart Route Introduction - Take a brief ride along the Cathcart Circle line and learn what is available to discover.

Class 314 Introduction - Learn the basics of operating the Class 314 Electric Multiple Unit.

Scenarios

There are 6 scenarios, which are:

Around and Around - Run the Glasgow Circle in each direction while performing passenger duties. (mins)

Extra Time - Run this match day service to accommodate the fans travelling to the stadium. (mins)

Divergent - Run an additional service from Neilston to Glasgow going via Newton to avoid a stuck train. (mins)

Collector - Starting at Shields Depot, run down the single track line to Cathcart before bringing the stuck train back to the Depot. (mins)

Dreich Day - Take this Glasgow to Neilston service through Mount Florida while keeping traction and timings vs the poor weather. (mins)

Pure Baltic - Poor weather on this Newton to Glasgow service means trains have bunched up along the line, affecting timings and causing poor signalling. (mins)

Service Mode

There are 208 services operated by the Class 314, 1 engineering train by the Class 66 and 2 heritage services (not sure about this because I don’t have any heritage stuff installed so basing it off stream).

Class 314

The 314 is the primary and only train that comes with this route. It is an electric multiple unit powered by Overhead Lines. These units were in service between 1979 and 2019, they were manufactured by BREL (British Rail Engineering Limited). In total there were 16 train sets produced with 15 being scrapped and 1 now being a hydrogen train.

Journey Mode

There are 4 chapters in total with 22 things to do.

Scenario Planner

The scenario planner is functional and you can start a train at any station and 4 platforms are available for Glasgow Central.

Livery Designer

The livery designer is functional and you paint the whole train as one instead of carriages of the train.

Collectables

The collectables on this route are:

Route Maps

Newspaper stands

Flower planters

Posters

Manual

There is currently no manual, as yet as the steam version has not yet been released,

Review

Overall I love this route. I should point out that I love British routes and like the more modern stuff and commuter stuff. The route is very pretty and has great scenery. The 314 is a great train to drive and the sounds are great (especially when going over a set of points). To me this route is to the same quality as East Coastway.

The only problem with it, that I have found are:

• passengers shooting up in the air (core issues that should be sorted with rush hour).

• Light seems to be an issue.

• Some of assets pop in very close to you, especially the catenary poles. (Maybe a PlayStation issues?)

Summary

Overall, I have fallen in love with this route and would give it 9/10. If you like stuff like Bakerloo, East Coastway or Southeastern then, you would probably love this.

I have left some images of the route below. Let me know what you think of the route.

**DISCLAIMER:Before writing this review I did 2 services and 1 scenario but the scenario did take me to both branch lines and up to Glasgow Central.**
    EDIT: Pictures are currently not showing up. The word doc does have the pictures though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. Pookiebarra

Pookiebarra Active Member

Very fair summary. I can see me playing this a lot. Travelled it as a boy on the old blue trains. Love it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Wow you were up late, I was still awake and thought why not, the tiny ps plus discount was a bonus and only 1.6GB to install too.

when you say lights are an issue what do you mean? Just curious.

oddly I didn’t find the usual draw distance to be an issue. It was late at night though.

thanks for posting the above. Just off to put in a quick hour on this route now :cool:

PS: was it red bull or monster?

4. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

960F072B-804B-471B-913C-DA66E5BD13EA.jpeg
    timetable options listed. Chuffed the 37 is on the list.

(66,47,314,47,31 and the 20)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I fully agree with your review! Played the two tutorials as well as a scenario and a service so far. It’s just one of those special routes where everything comes together perfectly. The lighting felt a bit dark to me as well, but apparently that’s realistic, so nothing wrong with that. Personally didn’t experience any passenger pathing issues (was actually positively surprised by the amount of people walking around and how they were moving), and the asset pop-in seemed to be similar to other routes. Overall incredibly happy!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

Dammit

7. Mkdog45

During night, the stations seems a bit to dark and I think that the headlights might need to provide a little more light.

Ended up with apple juice

8. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

ah, yet to drive at night. Well I’m the game anyway lol I’ll check it out later.

good man, energy drinks are garbage :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mkdog45

I never really liked energy drinks. I wished I could off played more but I have to get ready for job interview tomorrow.:D

10. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

tomorrow being today? Best of luck :)

agree the night time setting is way too dark
    Remember threads a while back about German routes being the same.

the sounds are impressive, although as others are reporting the level is a tad low. The metal clinks or pings remind me of my old regular route of Hertford east to Liverpool Street, believe that was a 31x for a very long time. Of course back then I never looked at the train class.

11. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

After 3 services I have mixed feelings about it. I like the atmosphere, buildings look good and not too generic (great stations, especially Glasgow Central), the 314 model is good, but... the train sounds too quiet, headlights are nonexistent, too many freezing issues along the circle line (not bad as Bakerloo Line, but annoying, at least for me), poles popping up just a few meters in front of you...