Northeast Coach Pack

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by NEC Railfan, Mar 21, 2020.

1. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Well, in terms of commuter railroads in the Northeast Unites States, the largest family of coaches is largely missing in Train Simulator. We need more Comets and Shoreliners. We have the Comet IV coach and cabcar, and the Comet V cabcar, but there is more to this family. Metro North does not run just Shoreliner IIIs either.
    Here is the entire family list:
    Ones that are in the game will have an asterisk *
    The Comet Family
    - Comet I
    - Comet II
    - Comet III
    - *Comet IV
    - Comet V *cabcar only

The Shoreliner Family:
    - Shoreliner I
    - Shoreliner II
    - Shoreliner III*
    - Shoreliner IV cabcars

History

(From Wikipedia)

Comet I
    These cars were the first of the Comet series, built by Pullman Standard in 1970–73 for the Erie-Lackawanna Railroad's diesel-hauled commuter services and purchased by the New Jersey Department of Transportation. These were considered state of the art at the time, due to their all-aluminum body shell construction as well as their use of head-end power (HEP). Their automated entrance doors, designed for use with low platforms only, earned them the nickname "Sliders". 155 cars were built, with 35 cab cars, 110 trailer coaches and 10 bar cars.

In 1987, the fleet was rebuilt by Bombardier at Barre, Vermont, with the cab cars and a number of trailer cars receiving high doors, for ADA access and future compatibility with high platforms. They were given NJ Transit logos adjacent to the entrance doors at this time, as NJ Transit had taken over EL commuter service. The bar cars were converted to standard coaches.
    [​IMG]

Comet II
    The Comet II cars were built by Bombardier Transportation, which acquired the rights to the railcar's design from Pullman. The first order of cars was built for NJ Transit between 1982 and 1983. A second order, the Comet IIB, was purchased in 1988. These cars feature long end-doors with trapdoors over the stairs for use at both low-platform and high-platform stations. The cars are similar to the MBTA's BTC-1 and CTC-1 cars, built in 1978 by Pullman Standard. These cars were intended for use on lines formerly operated by the Central Railroad of New Jersey, operators of the Blue Comet train to Atlantic City. This led to the NJ Transit series of single-level cars becoming known as Comets. These cars have been overhauled by AAI Corporation and Alstom between 1999 and 2003 to make them aesthetically and technologically similar to the Comet IV series and are now compatible with later equipment.

Shoreliner I and II coaches, purchased by Metro-North and the Connecticut Department of Transportation for use on non-electrified territories east of the Hudson River, are variations without long doors. Amtrak's Horizon coaches are also a variation without long, automatic doors. Metro-North also purchased Comet II coaches for use on the Port Jervis Line, where they ran until replaced by the Comet V. The Comet II cars have since been transferred to the East-of-Hudson pool, where they remain in service. SEPTA Regional Rail and Exo also purchased cars based on this class.

[​IMG]

Comet III

The Comet III cars, ordered by NJ Transit in 1990, feature center doors and long end-doors, permitting end doors to open and close with traps open. The Metro-North Shoreliner III fleet is a variation without long doors. The Comet III fleet was removed from revenue service in 2011, and remain in storage as of 2016.
    Metro-North also has a fleet of Comet IIIs from 1991. These cars were sold to NJT in 1998, but were later sold back to Metro-North in 2008. The cars are currently stored at Croton. They are planned to be converted for the new business train to replace the Phobe Snow cars.

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We already have Comet IVs and Vs, except we do need comet V cabless coaches. For now though, we can put cabcars together. We also need an official Metro North Comet V to use in conjunction with NJT for West of Hudson service.

• Like Like x 4
  2. NEC Railfan

Now then, let's jump into the Shoreliner family:

Shoreliner I and II

The Shoreliners I and II were built in 1983 and 1987, respectively. Based on the New Jersey Transit Comet II and nearly identical, their only difference is the type of lighting used for indicator lights. These cars have doors at each end vestibule, and no center door.

The Shoreliner I order includes 39 cars, while the Shoreliner II order includes 36 cars. Cars numbered in the 6200s are owned by Connecticut DOT, while all other cars are owned by the MTA.

Four of the Shoreliner I cars were originally equipped with an underfloor head-end power generator, for use behind CDOT's five rebuilt freight locomotives, which lacked HEP generators. The generators were removed when the F7s were replaced by CDOT's rebuilt GP40-2H units. These cars are identified externally by twin square windows at the center of the cars, where the air intake ductwork (to the rooftop) for the generator was located.
    [​IMG]
    Shoreliner I

[​IMG]
    Shoreliner II

Shoreliner IV
    The Shoreliner IV is much like the Shoreliner III but the engineers side door has been removed as a safety measure. Based on the NJ Transit Comet IV, they were built in two distinct groups between 1996 and 1998. The first order, from 1996–97, consisted of 50 cars. The second set, built for Connecticut DOT in 1998, consisted of 10 cars. This gives a total count for the order of 60 cars.
    [​IMG]

And that's all. The only thing DTG needs to do is change a few things on the models of the existing Shoreliner III and Comet IV as they all have a basic identical carbody.

• Like Like x 4
  3. NEC Railfan

One Minor Note:
    The Comet I will be in train sim along with the new U34CH from DTM and Minerman.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Latios Gaming

Latios Gaming New Member

DTM has said they are open to releasing Comet IIs if they can get proper resource material for them, so that's definitely a plus.

• Like Like x 2
  5. NEC Railfan

Yeah, they said they might make it since they almost have enough material, but are more busy trying to get the U34CH to brake right.

• Like Like x 3
  6. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I would definitely love to see the shoreline east coach’s on train simulator sometime in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

Would love to see these added! Of course the Comet I's are coming with the U34CH this week

• Like Like x 1
  8. NEC Railfan

When I wrote this I had forgotten about the Comet Is. :D

9. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I completely agree, the remainder of the Shoreliner and Comet class cab cars and coaches should definitely be added to Train Simulator. The Metro North Shoreliner cars are my favorite series of push pulls. It would be great if DTG could modify or retrofit the existing Shoreliner III to Shoreliner I, II and IV standards. Hopefully sometime in the future, we can get the remainder of the Shoreliners and Comets into Train Simulator.

10. tswgamerts

tswgamerts Member

I would still like to see the comet v coaches, to have the complete collection, it will work with the steam workshop pascack valley line and bergen line

• Like Like x 1
  11. tswgamerts

tswgamerts Member

And I thought they made a comet I

12. CJM21292

CJM21292 Well-Known Member

hey you can't forget the NJ Transit Comet IB
    5160_12706.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

Would love to see these in NJT and Caltrans colors.

14. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

Hopefully, they add the Comet IB to the simulator as well. These were interesting push pulls since they were created from extra Arrow I shells

15. NEC Railfan

Oh yeah I can't believe I forgot about the comarrows.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Everyone forgets things every once in a while so don't worry

17. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Only reason I know about the IBs is because 14 were bought and rebuilt for use here in California.
    20170918_020-10.jpg

• Like Like x 3