Cathcart Route. 1st Impressions.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by rpb1966, Jun 10, 2021.

1. rpb1966

rpb1966 Well-Known Member

I'm impressed!! It is the best route DTG have done so far, without a doubt. Its a route where you really have to watch what your doing. Its a very atmospheric route with lots of detail. The only negative is the the 314 sounds are a bit quiet, but not too bad when opening the window. But overall, its very impressive, and you can see that a lot of love has gone onto this. Well done DTG. This is really an impressive route.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

im not impressed with the scenario extra time. We set off to pick up football supporters from Mount Florida. we get there and no supporters get on the train and then set off the Glasgow stopping at all stations. At Glasgow not one person gets off the train. What a ridiculous scenario. i would have thought being a football special the train would have been packed rammed full but no totally empty

• Like Like x 11
  3. johntay

johntay Member

Has anyone noticed you can turn the passenger lights on buy when taken it back to depot at night you can't turn the passenger lights off even with the trip button. Might be me doing something wrong.

So far I am loving the route the sounds slight but quite but they are good just have to turn speakers up a little.

Night time driving fun but can't see much even in the stations they need to work on the lighting.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

To turn the passenger lights on, hold the trip button a couple of seconds.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. johntay

johntay Member

Thanks matt so is it the same button held in to turn them off again can't seem to get them off when going back to depot empty

• Like Like x 2
  6. li150special

li150special Well-Known Member

It's the button below the button for turning on, "trip lights" or so.

• Like Like x 3
  7. EsherDemo

EsherDemo New Member

Hold the LIGHTNING TRIP for couple of seconds to turn off :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Ha ha this made me laugh out loud. It’s the way you tell em Dave

• Like Like x 4
  9. EsherDemo

EsherDemo New Member

I really like the LED signals!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. turbostar#4215

turbostar#4215 Active Member

Hey, just started playing this route tonight. Does anyone know where the instrument lights switch is on the 314?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. AGoodJudge

AGoodJudge Active Member

It's the indicator dimmer switch, just below the headlights switch.

• Like Like x 1
  12. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

It was Clachnacuddin versus Forres Mechanics in the Highland League cup final at Hampden Park.

• Like Like x 3
  13. turbostar#4215

turbostar#4215 Active Member

Ah I see, found it - thanks mate!

• Like Like x 2
  14. TinTin_57

Either that or they all went to watch Scotland in the Euros.....it's been a while ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  15. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

They are all at home watching proper competition in the premier league via their Sky and BT Sport, subscriptions. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  16. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

So far I'm pretty pleased. The only niggle I have is that de sound of the traction motors is pretty quiet. I have to turn up my TV's volume a few steps before I can hear them.
    I have no doubt that DTG has put it on a realistic level, but we virtual train drivers are like racing drivers: we like to hear the engine roar :)

• Like Like x 3
  17. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

if you haven’t got one already you need a 5.1 surround sound system. That does the trick. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying it a lot, most satisfactory day 1 purchase since TSW2 itself. I thought I had noticed a step up in quality on Hamburg-Lubeck and so it is good to see it continue here, lots of dense foliage and interesting railway architecture modelled, even the approach to Glasgow is not bad considering it's hard to really capture the feel of a city when you're relying on a lot of generic building assets.

There's definitely a problem in some tunnels with light, which is to say they are pitch black despite being quite short and it being broad daylight, and the baking in-cab still doesn't quite trigger when it should or for as long as it should, but compared to the issues with Southeastern it's relatively minor.

The 314 is brilliant, a really great addition to the game, cannot fault it, it's a great train to drive, and really good for the route. I actually think, considering there is only one train, they've done a good job of making Glasgow Central feel like a station with trains coming and going, and the line isn't too bad for traffic. Obviously it would be great to have more, but I enjoy it as it is too.

I found it hilarious to see passengers catapulting themselves skywards, of all the bugs in the game, this one is very fun, at one point there was a row of 4 just kinda walking on the spot 50m above the ground before just dropping back to the ground. It reminds me of one of the many bugs in Cyberpunk where cars were spawning 30m in the air above a car park and if you stood the right distance you could watch them drop and pile up.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

Is the route present day or historical?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

only 5.1?? :D Totally OT but google auro 3D :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

It would be set 2017-2019 as that is when the 314s wore the Saltire livery and all were scrapped in 2019. I think only 5 314s ever had the Saltire livery out the 16 set fleet.

• Like Like x 3
  22. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

No hurry to fix this one DTG. :)

• Like Like x 2
  23. Spongebob

Spongebob New Member

Absolutely love this route, pretty much a home run for me. Only grumble I have is that I would like the train sound turned up a couple of notches, but other than that great route. Well done dovetail, great work!

• Like Like x 4
  24. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

Agree with everyone here, the 314 sound is the only quibble as they are noisey when they pass butnot so much ‘in cab’. As my mum used to say, all the nicest presents come in small packages :)

• Like Like x 3
  25. septafan

septafan Active Member

Do anyone find the wheel squealing a bit too much? I mean don't get me wrong, i like it but at times it seems a bit much

• Like Like x 2
  26. rpb1966

rpb1966 Well-Known Member

No not at all, just the normal train sounds are a bit quiet and the headlights are far too dark, the squealing is fine.

• Like Like x 2
  27. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Matt said in a stream that the headlights aren’t as bright as in real life but I don’t know if they’ll fix it in the future

• Like Like x 1
  28. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

My only issue with the Cathcart Circle is the terribly weak station lighting. The journey starts with the scenario "Extra Time", and it doesn't look very good, because it was dark and I couldn't see anything. But when driving in daylight, it really is one of the best routes I've played so far. I love how the circle makes the route look so much busier, and I like doing a bit of trainspotting every now and then :)

• Like Like x 2
  29. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The underwhelming passenger AI is a longstanding issue with TSW, which is scheduled to be completely overhauled with Rush Hour this summer. Until then, just deal with passengers behaving like Walking Dead extras.

• Like Like x 2
  30. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Given that a lot of the residents of Glasgow have jet-packs, I would say that the route is set in the future... ;-)

• Like Like x 5
  31. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

I held off buying this on day one due to a few buggy releases from DTG as of late. However, the feedback seemed to suggest a good quality release this time so I went ahead and picked this up today.

After a few runs today it seems to be a very enjoyable route. It combines the slightly more relaxed gameplay of East Coastway with the short-hop feel of Bakerloo, at least to me anyway.

The 314 feels like something new which is very welcome, and looks and sounds great.

Route wise, it's great to see so much detail and it really does feel like a lot of care and time went into it.

The only bug I came across was an AI service running with tail lights on the front, and headlights on the back. The AI driver was also in the cab at the wrong end. It's hardly game breaking and such a small niggle getting through to release doesn't particularly bother me.

Overall, a great release from DTG this time round. Hopefully this is now the standard and quality DTG will continue to adhere to going forwards

• Like Like x 4
  32. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...finally found the UFO crash site, near the suburbs of Glasgow. Really modeled in great detail, including two NPCs (maybe Mulder and Scully) standing next to it and a realistic looking impact point. But what are the cows doing there? ;)
    I think such things make Train Sim World unique. In the end it's not just about trains, but also about the world around it: places, sights and landscapes.

DTG UFO.jpg

DTG UFO b.jpg

DTG UFO c.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  33. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Why a crashed UFO? I don’t get it?

• Like Like x 2
  34. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Lucky cows it’s a nice Easter egg like in GTAs it changes from the Donkey one

• Like Like x 1
  35. synthetic.angel

This might explain why the lights at the stations go out at strange times (or all of the time...?), leaving the travelling public in Glasgow stranded in the darkness, deep in the void of space, where nobody can hear you scream..... ;-O

More seriously - well done on the find, and kudos to DTG for having a sense of humour.... it seems the aliens prefer a bit of Angus beef to the traditional haggis..... ;-)

• Like Like x 3
  36. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Have I missed something, what's the link between this route and UFO's?

37. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I am slightly bemused by the inclusion of such a thing too. It explains why the task you need to complete to unlock it is something that you wouldn’t accidentally do by driving properly so if you didn’t want to join in with the nonsense, sorry I meant fun, it’s easy enough to avoid. I get the feeling that nobody who takes TSW seriously as a simulator has much interest in Mastery or its rewards so it could continue to be used in this way for the casual players, and possibly have a name change to reflect its new fun purpose. I can imagine in an historic route having to reach 88 mph in a steam train to unlock a futuristic car-based time machine in a barn.

• Like Like x 4
  38. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

I guess it's certainly a long-term goal to aquire more players, not just pure railway fans. So pop culture topics are welcome and help to keep the fun factor going. On the other hand I'm glad that Mastery now works almost smoothly on consoles and you can achieve the promised rewards. By the way Cathcart Circle is a short but interesting varied route. I hope that the new Class 385 will be a future DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  39. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I fee the same with collectables, I hate them. I find them pointless, it adds absolutely nothing to the game and is there in my opinion to cater to the casual players. If I had my way, Mastery & Collectables would be gone and never seen again.

Unnecessary features.

• Like Like x 1
  40. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Great vibe. A very suggestive experience. Train Sound World - approved.

• Like Like x 1
  41. TinTin_57

Just unlocked it and enabled it. Where exactly is it? Plse PM me if you don't want to give out a spoiler. Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  42. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

It seems I'm the only one bugged by frequent stuttering, especially along the circle line. Half a second pauses, very annoying for me. Saw the same problems on YouTube streams with PS4, PS4 Pro and Xbox One. On the PC section of this forum some users said it happens also on PC. Again, ECW is still the best dlc in terms of performances. How many dlcs came out after that? DTG, who made that dlc? :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. synthetic.angel

No - you are not alone. The tile loading and large asset loading stutters on the Cathcart route are very bad. They are infrequent on PS4 Pro, but when they happen they can be 500ms or more..... maybe even a whole second.

You can see the stuttering in DTG's own promotional material (presumably produced on PC), as the train lurches about in the promo videos, and also in the streams online.

Personally, I am fairly FPS tolerant, and if a studder doesn't stop me doing something interactive, then I can usually let it go. But the 500ms ones are quite jarring, and if they happen in the braking zone, or on approach to a station, then they become extremely annoying for me (especially if I am being naughty and feathering the brakes).

As I have said before, if I am someone that notices or is bothered by the stuttering, then many others are going to be more sensitive than me, and it is therefore likely to be a big problem for many people.

NB: This might get fixed in two ways - firstly, there are "core memory" improvements on the way, and secondly, when the Class 313 gets re-built you might see performance improvements deployed on the Class 314 (although obviously these are completely different trains... really, not the same at all, completely different, etc...).

• Like Like x 4
  44. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

I'm on PS5 and do notice the odd stutter. Nothing too drastic though. I can't wait for draw distance to be improved though.

• Like Like x 3
  45. TinTin_57

Passengers are doing the usual. I begged her to get down when I was ready to leave ;-)
    Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 20.19.30.png

• Like Like x 6
  46. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I guess some listened to all the constructive "criticism above" about 80mph and the train being limited to 70 because the mastery seems to have changed to 70 now...

Have unlocked everything but the UFO is yet to appear at its site, assuming it turns up in the same place for everyone.

Paul

nastery70.PNG

• Like Like x 5
  47. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

I found it around about Whitecraigs Station on the Neilston to Newton line (was doing the tour in a Class 37)

btw, doing this tour, it was a beautiful sunny day and you really appreciate how detailed this route actually is.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 3