A Case Of Over-immersion?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Jun 12, 2021.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I came across a Norfolk Southern Coal District scenario that was right up my railway track, since it involved both switching and loading -- well, actually, unloading.
    So, here's a screenshot I took just after positioning the first hopper to be unloaded:
    20210611142822_1.jpg
    Very clever, I thought, placing those two workmen in poses that tend to create that famous "immersion" so sought after by some forum members.

Then, a couple of cars later, I spotted this:

20210611142751_1.jpg
    Now, that's what I call being caught up in your work -- but it decidedly changes the meaning of "immersion", doesn't it?

Moral: never post a scenario before watching it v-e-r-y carefully.

Despite this flaw, however, I really -- no, seriously and sincerely, enjoyed unloading that long cut of coal hoppers. Try it sometime: it's much more relaxing than trying to arrive on time at multiple passenger stations.

2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

NS Coal district is an awesome route, I bought it because it is required for the NYC-Albany workshop route, however I instantly loved it, it is very detailed despite its age and it has a very variated scenery, from shunting to street running and heavy haul operations. And it is cheaper than other (and worse) routes. I didn't run that scenario yet though, I am going to try later!

• Like Like x 1
  3. LastTrainToClarksville

Having taken the time to edit the two screenshots I used in my OP to make them brighter and sharper, I'm going to attach the new versions here -- just in case anybody cares.
    20210611142822_1.jpg

20210611142751_1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Not much different to stations where the passengers walk thru each other, buildings, structures, trains and just across between platforms

• Like Like x 1
  5. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Thank you... much better... I can see what you're on about now...

6. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

A pity that unlike prototypical operations, you can't just have the train bimble along at about 1-2 mph without stopping for each hopper unload.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Like we did with MGR operations in the UK

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. LastTrainToClarksville

That might indeed be more convenient, but raises the question of whether it would be authentic. Besides that, as I mentioned in my OP, for some of us tedium is a pleasure.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

Well, well, well.. I sit here corrected! Your comment above encouraged me to do some further research and yes, there are some operations where the hopper is brought to a standstill and then unloaded. I never realised!

Now, I guess it might be down to a particular railroad or coal company as to how they unload or what equipment they have to do so, here's one where the hoppers ARE kept moving EDIT: in the UK:

So yes, I have indeed learned something new & I thank you. I didn't mean to imply that I don't enjoy the odd scenario where one has to unload and/or load hoppers (NS Coal District was the first add-on route I purchased after buying TS 2016), until now I always thought loading and unloading IRL was done whilst the train is slowly moving. :cool::cool:

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The HAA Coal wagons in the video have all finished service in the UK
    Operation was by a number of arms on the wagons that made contact with lineside equipment that first unlocked each set of doors - 3 on each wagon, then another arm would make the bottom doors open as the train went over the hopper. A further arm lifted the doors closed and the last arm locked the doors in place.

The speed was later increased for the HAA wagons to allow 45mph loaded and 55mph empty

Now days the few remaining coal trains have bogie wagons of this type
    https://www.greenbrier-europe.com/products/product/iia-90-m3/
    These have hand controls on the wagon sides to open and close the doors and again the trains pass thru at walking speed

Peter

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. LastTrainToClarksville

"You're welcome", quoth the retired college professor (although not of hopper unloading).

• Like Like x 1