Train Sim World 2 - Cathcart Commuter

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, May 27, 2021.

1. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Mastery is probably going to be on all future routes . It was first added to new dlcs for clinchfield

• Like Like x 1
  2. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Which I don't mind. New shapes for LD and more importantly cool overlays for the route - that's a cool bonus.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

This made me laugh as the recent publicity in the states about 'new' UFO sightings from the military turned out to be a Duck! LOL

• Like Like x 2
  4. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Who knows, we might even get alien NPCs on the route;)

• Like Like x 3
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Question for anyone who knows: during the time period of this route, did any Class 43s run into Glasgow Central?

• Like Like x 2
  6. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I don't know for certain as not so knowledgeable about that era, but I don't think many worked to that side of Scotland at the time. Some of the Cross Country ones may have, not sure if only the Cross Country Voyagers operated services to Glasgow Central then or if any of the East Coast HST's might have done, they mainly worked to Aberdeen I think.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  7. solicitr

theorganist, thanks for the tip. A little googling and it turns out that Cross Country did (and does) run an HST pair every two hours between Glasgow Central and Edinburgh Waverly.

Of course, I can't see it being feasible for DTG to obtain a CC license and reskin a version of the HST in CC livery just for an AI train every 2 hours.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Now I can see why they've left the 313 so late. Im guesing they want the money out of this first before they release a cheaper DLC

• Like Like x 3
  9. ScottDarg

ScottDarg Member

Those services are booked for Class 220 Voyager units. The only HST services timetabled for Glasgow Central are 1 morning departure and 1 late arrival to / from the South West of England. It's been that way for a few years now and would have been at the time the route is set.

The only other HST that visits Glasgow Central is the Network Rail New Measurement Train, but that's only once per month.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  10. theorganist

Of course that is the only explanation!!

They have stated why, there is not a need to guess!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

I barely played this route yesterday but the route is well done and the 314 is well replicated it’s so much good to drive an EMU with a throttle and brake lever instead of the combined one

• Like Like x 2
  12. solicitr

Ironic photo:
    \
    [​IMG]

The 37 doing the hauling is much older than the 314 headed for the breakers

• Like Like x 7
  13. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

Well done DTG, this is definitely going to be one of my all-time favourite routes. Love the 314 and every little last detail, the people playing football at Neilston is a nice touch too!

Only thing missing is another train so I really hope that there are plans for a DLC :D

• Like Like x 8
  14. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Yes the Plan is to make the 380 as Dlc to have the real Timetable from 2017.

• Like Like x 2
  15. solicitr

Can someone explain the dual numbers?
    [​IMG]
    This one has the expected TOPS number at the front- but what is the number in white on the side?

• Like Like x 1
  16. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

i don’t know it’s exact name but the front is a unit number and the side is for the car/carriage

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  17. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The number on the front is the consist number and applies to the whole three car unit. The number on the side is the number of that specific vehicle. So the whole thing is 314210 but that specific carriage is 64602

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  18. solicitr

Was there any set relationship between the carriage numbers in a train, like the Germans do? Or was it essentially random?

19. ARuscoe

I would imagine there's a database somewhere, but where the carriages get their numbers from I don't know

• Like Like x 1
  20. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Talking about numbers on the rescue scenario both the rescuer set and the rescued one got the same number: 314210 that’s odd

21. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

22. solicitr

• Like Like x 5
  23. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 6
  24. solicitr

And a fairly long-lasting and extensive one, since effective March 2022 Scotrail will be re-nationalized, so that one license will enable DTG to do any route and train north of the Tweed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

We need the Class 380 and 385 plus Glasgow Central to Edinburgh also

• Like Like x 1
  26. ARuscoe

Not true, transport is a "devolved issue" in Scotland, and Scotrail is already a Scottish government owned franchise so it's likely to continue as is.

27. solicitr

Yes, but Scotrail will be taking over directly as the TOC on all Scottish routes, in place of the current private franchisees like Abellio, Cross Country etc. In other words, British Rail in miniature.

• Like Like x 1
  28. ARuscoe

Not from what I've read. The workings will be franchised but in a different way and under one name

• Like Like x 1
  29. solicitr

In any event, DTG's license for Scotrail's branding and livery will apply to every route and train in Scotland.

• Like Like x 1
  30. ARuscoe

What makes you say that?

31. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

That's not necessarily how licensing works, as thoroughly explained in one of the streams. The license could as well be specific to the route, only DTG knows. It makes things easier and more likely for sure, but it's not a do-whatever-you-want license for sure :)

• Like Like x 1
  32. solicitr

Not necessarily, but applicable in this case, because Scotrail, with whom DTG have a deal in place, will be the single brand and livery across the whole country. Rather like Deutsche Bahn.

• Like Like x 1
  33. solicitr

Because as of next spring, every train in Scotland will wear Saltire Blue and Scotrail branding.

34. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Who said so ?

• Like Like x 2
  35. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

If you are referring to the fact that there are signs on the route that say 380, in a stream it was said that these are not hints

• Like Like x 1
  36. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Matt said they want add more trains if it sell well to this route.
    And the 380 was driving with the 314 together until 2019, before it was change into the 380 and 385 on this Line

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. ARuscoe

That doesn't mean that DTG have a license to produce each train or other asset on that region, only that the branding license may have included all versions of it.

38. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

Anyone know what route the ScotRail Class 68s and Mk2s ran on while they had them? I know they only had 2 68s but I love that loco in this sim.

• Like Like x 1
  39. theorganist

The Chiltern route, or part of would be a suitable route for the class 68's.

40. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

It's just that TS2021 has the ScotRail 68s in it's featured cover art so wondering if a crossover to TSW2 as alot of TS content tends to come across. Plus the licence is the main issue and DTG have ScotRail but not Chiltern.

41. ARuscoe

They have a scotrail licence for the 68 in TSC, but not necessarily in TSW
    They have a scotrail license for the cathcart circle and 314, but not necessarily for the 68 or the coaches...

Licensing isn't as simple as "I can use this over here, so I can use it over there for something else"

• Like Like x 1
  42. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

I think they need DRS too for the 68s as they are leased by them to Scotrail, or they were leased in the past before being returned.

43. ARuscoe

Almost all trains are leased anyway, don't think many are actually owned by the TOC

44. ScottDarg

ScottDarg Member

Every ScotRail train already carries some sort of ScotRail livery (either Saltire, some modified variant of it or the Inter7City livery).

If you're saying that trains currently operated by other TOCs will also be in Saltire livery then you're wrong. CrossCountry, LNER, Avanti, TransPennine Express, Caledonian Sleeper and the freight operators will continue to operate services in Scotland under their own brands.

Transport Scotland is only taking over the day-to-day operations of ScotRail. They're not setting ScotRail up to be the sole operator of every single service this side of the border.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. ScottDarg

ScottDarg Member

They worked a very small number of services around the Fife Circle during peak times.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

The front number (set number) identifies the unit where all three carriage / vehicles are assigned. The individual vehicle numbers are usually in ascending order through the class (but not always) through the set and identify specific vehicles. The first 2 digits within a class can denote the type of vehicle.

in the case of the 314s 64 represents a DMSO or Driver Motor Standard Open whilst the center vehicles start with a prefix of 71, in the case of the 314 these vehicles are PTSO or Pantograph Trailer Standard Open. The number series is chosen where it doesn’t conflict any other vehicle in stock on the network so it can be located in TOPs at any time, if a vehicle was to get split, either for maintenance or to reformed as a hybrid from two sets, for example if units were damaged / out of action for longer periods then it would be easy to locate and reform them when the vehicle is back in traffic

The number series goes like this

314xxx (DMSO + PTSO + DMSO)
    314201 (64583 + 71450 + 64584)
    314202 (64585 + 71451 + 64586)

from the above you can work out all 16 units in the class

I hope that helps,

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  47. solicitr

However, it seems that there was some mixing and matching over the years. For example: [​IMG]

Here is DMSO 64595 heading up Unit 314207

• Like Like x 1
  48. solicitr

An observation, which is a small thing but is indicative of a larger issue:

In the scenario Collector, one has to pass a signal at danger to enter the block with the broken-down train; fine. We have to contact Dispatch for permission; fine, and doing so avoids incurring a SPAD, certainly fine.

But what the scenario instructions do not include is any suggestion to hit the TPWS Brake Override button. This is only an issue, of course, if safety systems are turned on; but while I won't quite go so far as to say they should be turned on, the possibility should be allowed for, and the function of that button pointed out (at the only point in Cathcart where it ever might get used).

In short, the tutorials and handholding scenarios simply don't get far enough. What is needed, I think, is a two-stage tutorial system, elementary and advanced- the advanced tutorial covering literally every interactable button, switch and valve in the train.

• Like Like x 3
  49. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I would agree with a tiered tutorial system. Maybe a three tiered system like:

Tier 1
    Getting started and coming to a stop.

Tier 2
    Getting to know and to use other basic train systems such as lighting, door operation etc.

Tier 3
    Getting to know safety systems and more advanced train systems.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  50. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I think that DTG put in a huge amount of effort to get the training and introductions on Cathcart just right. I don't think that they need to add anything more - it's all there, and is a joyful experience. You don't even need a manual - and if you needed one, then I am sure that DTG would have provided one. So you don't need one.

If a very minor observation about some very obscure part of the safety systems is your biggest problem with the Cathcart DLC, then that just proves what a truly fantatsic and complete job they did with the DLC, bringing it right to the point of absolute perfection. You can't fault it, really...., so it is a bit disappointing to see you pick at one teeny weeny tiny miniscule part of it. But, you are entitled to your views, of course.

• Like Like x 1