Game Crashing At Route Performance Screen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick Y, Jun 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Has anyone else had issues with their game crashing after they've finished a route or ended a route and are taken back to the performance screen?

For a few days now the game has crashed at that screen resulting in me having to reboot my PC as it does not allow me to switch windows to task manager etc and also the mouse stops working.
    The only changes I have made have been to install TS2018 and TS2020 along with the Northern Lines route and a couple of Major Wales loco reskins (I did end up with an invisible train for the class 180 reskins but the cab was there).

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

The major wales reskin of the Adelante has some issues with crashing the game if you try to use the in game scenario editor (there's even a warning on the Major Wales site about it)... so maybe it has other issues too.

Uninstall each thing you did, one at a time to find the issue.

3. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Thanks Pookey. I deleted the C180 folder and it seems to have solved the issue.
    Idk why it would do that though on routes where it isn't being used.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pookeyhead

Yeah, I stopped using it too, which is a shame, because I now have no Nova3 set.... but it was just causing me too many issues.

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You could repaint the Irish Mk4s as the coaches don't look too far out but it has a DVT vice DTSO

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Well, I thought the issue was solved but it still does it sometimes.
    Had the issue again last night and once this morning already.

7. Pookeyhead

Hmmm.... that may be worth a go. Shall investigate what you mean.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  8. Pookeyhead

I can't replicate it here. Id contact DTG who will no doubt walk you through how to send them a crash dump log of some sort. Never checked how, but most software will log errors upon crashing or encountering an issue. Raise a ticket with DTG.

9. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

The thing is, there won't be any logs as it freezes completely and the only option is to turn the PC off at the button and reset.
    When it happens the whole system becomes locked. I can't switch windows or run task manager. CTRL ALT DEL works but I then can't access it as the TS menu screen just stays there.

Nothing I have installed should be causing this issue as I followed all the install instructions.
    Other than the class 175 reskins from Major wales, the only other stuff I have installed recently are Northern Lines, Harrogate Loop and a couple of workshop scenarios (oh and TS2018 for NWC and TS2020 for a route I needed).

10. Pookeyhead

It may still have logged something.

Also, is this only in TS? Any other issues with anything else?

What are your CPU core temps when this happens? (unlikely to be the cause, but see comments further down regarding how this is monitored).

GPU drivers up to date? (again, not that likely but best to eliminate anything that can affect stability).

Have you run a self booting Memtest? https://www.memtest86.com/

What are your RAM timings, and how are they set in BIOS? Are you using XMP timings?

Have you stress tested your machine with something like Intel Burn Test to see if it is in fact fully stable? https://www.techpowerup.com/download/intelburntest/ Also, this is would be a good opportunity to see what your temps are when the CPU is being stressed. Bare in mind that depending upon what you are using to monitor this may not show the issue. With Train Simulator, the overall CPU package temps may be reading low, but one single CPU core may be overheating and throttling back which may effect stability, as TS stresses one core heavily, and makes only light uses a couple of other cores. Use HWinfo64 to monitor this. https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Random crashes and lock ups are a pain... but only happening in one application does not necessarily mean that application is at fault. It may be that the application is demanding something that merely highlights a problem that only occurs under those circumstances.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  11. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Ummm, idk any of that but I have got my GPU set to game mode (max power).
    I do keep getting warnings from Norton that railworks.exe has high CPU usage so maybe something going on.

It doesn't seem to crash with any other apps I use (photo editing, video creation or even through the PS streaming app) and I don't have any other games to test with (except GBRJ which has never been used).

12. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Nick
    Any errors reported in "View Reliability History?
    Have you run sfc /scannow at a command (admin) prompt - any errors?
    Any difference using Borderless/Full-Screen mode?
    Maybe delete/copy the player profiles.bin file and let TS build a new one? (\STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Content folder)
    This was my solution back in 2014:
    One possible fix: Lower the resolution of your monitor by very little I changed the resolution of my 2560 x 1440 (ratio 2560/1440 = 1.778) monitor to 2535 x 1426 (ie using the same ratio) and the issue was resolved.
    No noticeable video quality difference in TS. It may NOT be a DTG issue but a Windows 10 issue.

13. Pookeyhead

This is good advice. It can solve many issues that appear to be a terminally broken TS install. It WILL reset everything though, as if you are running TS for the first time, so take note of graphics settings etc. first.