Skyhook Games And The Cane Creek Branch Line, Slow And Steady?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Blacknred81, Mar 25, 2021.

1. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Very impressive, I’d like to see what it looks like on console.

2. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

It looks awesome, but why is the old TSW Logo in the bottom left corner?

3. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

We don't even have proper derailments in TSW, from what I know. So I wouldn't expect any other kind of destruction either. And coupler failures are pretty rare even in real life with 150+ car freights, so I don't think it would be ever relevant with TSW's sub-100-car consists.

4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

It is not about destruction. Emergency stop could be enough :)
    Try Run 8 for what I mean! It is a very important and fun gameplay IRL-like mechanic.

MERGE

And they happen rarely because the pro-engineer knows how to prevent this from happening. That's what 'fun' is all about. BR o7
    PS And this is not always related to the number of cars, but to the correct use of the brakes/throttle :) One day... \o/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2021
  5. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Having visited that part of the US many times those screen shots are amazing and totally capture the feel of what the red rocks are all about.

• Like Like x 2
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Because these are not officially released images. Nobody really knows what they are, as they have been extracted from pages that aren’t public on a website. These could be very old pictures of test scenery and may not appear in the game as they look here. We just don’t know for certain. Probably are the real deal though.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  7. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

It is Cane due to the fact the links says this
    /wp-content/uploads/2021/03/DTG_TSW_Cane_01.png

8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Y'know.....

Rivet do a beautiful job with locomotive modeling, but their handling of landscapes and timetable design is pretty weak. Skyhook appear to do bangup landscapes, but don't do locomotives at all (Cane Creek will come with DTG reruns). But if a deal could be worked out.......

• Like Like x 1
  9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Oh, Rly? 363 is by Skyhook in a big part :) // SD 40-2?
    PS And I thought, you will like this locomotive!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2021
  10. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother with the links anymore. They've been removed from their website earlier. And the one image on the page has been replaced with just a regular asset.

11. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

So they DIDN'T want to share those amazing shots?

12. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This may not be a bad omen - the other pictures, the official ones, use the same logo :)

13. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

I don't know why but I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed.
    If we had to see these screens I think we have already seen them.

For me it is very likely that it is TSW on UE4 but then with all the options unlocked to do.
    When we see what we have on the game now and on the screens of this site ...

It's too good to be true.
    I really hope I'm wrong, I would love to have this but I doubt

14. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It's possible that we took the thunder out of their upcoming announcement. I can understand why that may be frustrating.

Cheers

15. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Actually I think Skyhook did some contract work with DTG, I think the Class 66 is one of their locos for example. Also they've done a lot of TS Classic stock, the Corris expansions I think are the most notable ones, but they've a lot of others, including a lot of TS Pro OBB stock. So they seem to actually seem to be one of the more experienced loco developers in Train Simulation. Honestly with the effort that's gone into Cane Creek I could see them upgrading the SD40-2 & AC4400CW quite a bit. They need at least a bit of touching up anyways as they need to do minor things like moving the number boards at least.
    I could see some elements being downgraded sure, particularly on console, but frankly it could look half as good as it does now and it would still look way better than most offerings in TSW. Things like scenarios, timetable, and locos are still a big question mark, but I don't have any real concerns about the route itself at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  16. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Yes they do. ;)

17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Ah righto, I hadn’t noticed the dates in the links either!

18. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

And Rivet almost had me convinced that proper TSW mountains were low res globular blobs...huh.

• Like Like x 3
  19. marcospennati2004

marcospennati2004 New Member

20. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

A massive step in the right direction for what should be expected from routes scenery. Shame its a route i have zero interest in but in all honesty if it releases looking this good then I might just pick it up to show support and vote with my wallet.

• Like Like x 10
  21. Dinosbacsi

It's nothing about different EU4 "options". As I stated above, you can cleary see that it's the same TSW under all the scenery, by the ugly water and the same ugly ground textures, where they are visible. It's simply the fact that these probably are all custom 3D models, instead of using the built-in terrain system that TSW uses. And by being custom 3D models, they actually look good.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

I sure hope this wasn't a part of the "big update". Updates to me isn't related to new content, but rather new features and core improvements.

Most likely they were preparing a new article and uploaded the images in advance, a normal thing to do. The problem here was that the upload-folders wasn't protected, which is standard in new wordpress installations. You have to change this manually. This is the excact same way I found screenshots of the WIP (train) simulator by Cascade Studios many years ago :) Browsing these folders is actually the first thing I do when I come to wordpress-sites (if possible) ;)

Looks like content from Quixel Megascans library.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I was referencing this tweet.

[​IMG]

Not sure whom you are quoting with a big update.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  24. Oystein

I thought you were referring to DTGs update later this year :) Now I understand.

25. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

They just announced their Lawn Mower Sim, so I think that pretty clearly was their big update. Also why would they be making new features and core improvements for TSW? DTG does that, they don't outsource that work.

26. Oystein

If you see the post above your question is answered...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. trainnick77

trainnick77 Member

I have to say from the pictures this looks Jaw dropping.
    If i understand correctly skyhooks experiance is in making models and visuals, I believe they have worked as a contractor for DTG supplying assets (Am I correct in thinking they made the body of the class 66?)
    My guess is they choose Cane creek as their first rout as they have the experiance modelling, but need to find their way round the operations side of things. this rout would seem a good choice to do that

28. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

In fact, I still want to ask why chose the Cane Creek branch line? Is it bad to choose the backbone?

29. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Have to agree about the water though, it isn't a deal-breaker but it does make my eye twitch Herbert Lom like.

30. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Seeing what they did with Cane Creek makes me want to see them tackle Solder Summit or Ogden - Evanston in some form.

• Like Like x 4
  31. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Surely they will answer this question on their first streams for this route.

Be careful though, so far there has nothing been shown officially. We still might end up getting somehting that looks different to the pictures. There could be a chance that these are renders which would not work with decent FPS in the final route with trains moving on it, so I would hold on with judgement unti lwe see official pictures!

• Like Like x 1
  32. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Could, but I tend to doubt that, considering Sand Patch and Clinchfield run fine I tend to think this will as well. Those routes have lots of foliage that take up a ton of resources, Cane doesn't have that, you have scrubs here and there but otherwise you're talking a pretty dry climate all things considered. I don't believe the cliffs and terrain are gonna take more resources than the vast amounts of trees and building on other routes would.

• Like Like x 1
  33. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Fair point, but that is all assumptions. After initial hype when I got into the TSW series I learned for myself that lowering expectations and rather being pleasantly surprised instead of being let down by my own expectations to be a more healthy approach.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Either my reasoning's sound and it's a fair point, or I'm making pure assumptions in which case it's not a fair point, I fail to see how it can be both.

How is judging a route off a picture of said route unreasonable though? First off if a company like Skyhook don't want that stuff out there then it's there job to keep it under raps. Valve had bloody Half Life 2 leak back in the day, and people judged that version of the game to be god awful, frankly because it was. Ultimately it was their fault for security being bad enough that something like that could happen in the first place, and they deserved what they got at the time, even if Half Life 2 ultimately turned out great in the end.

Secondly ask yourself why do these pictures exist? If these are just are just meant for internal use only than why would they pretty them up when nobody outside the companies' gonna see them? Most likely these are meant to be shown off at some point, even if it isn't for you and I then it's gonna be as portfolio pieces for other companies to judge their work. In either case even if they have extra UE4 post-processing effects they're gonna need to be at least somewhat accurate to what their modeling ability is. Either because it's for the public and it needs to be close to what the final product is like, or it's so employers can judge their work and hire them.

35. Dinosbacsi

When was any TSW product any different at release than the preview screenshots? This scenry is nice looking, but doesn't look anything more resource heavy than thousands of 2D trees on other routes, as it has been said above.

Also, just because we're used to ugly TSW standards doesn't mean something must be performance heavy just because it looks good. This is just the case of someone actually knowing what they're doing (which sadly is often not the case in TSW development). At least I believe it's safe to assume that the end-product is going to look like this as well.

• Like Like x 2
  36. blaze111csx

blaze111csx Well-Known Member

they look more like a TSW render than a TSW2 render tbh

37. blaze111csx

blaze111csx Well-Known Member

well... yeah it is. they have the tech, why do they only implement it on UK routes? I was really annoyed when I first discovered the gates on SPG didn't move.

38. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

The tech was only developed with the release of SEHS, so everything released before that does not have it, only routes like Hamburg lubeck that went in to production post SEHS.

the preserved crew are slowly looking to add the tech to the older routes as they work through them.

• Like Like x 1
  39. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

I want finally my DB BR 187 from Skyhook, it’s almost 1 year on the Roadmap.

40. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

First live showing on DTG tomorrow at 8pm on Twitch and YT with Matt, JD and Skyhook. Therefore release is imminent. Maybe June 24th or early July? I think we are all going to be suitably impressed!!

Unfortunately the stream has been cancelled, which will put the release date back to July.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. Ben_Broomfield

Ben_Broomfield Well-Known Member

I reckon that's part of it. Just looking at the screenshots alone are potentially a result of this. Had to double take a few times when i saw them to see if it was TSW2 or not lol! Even though it's not up my street, still mite grab it for the visuals alone.

Taking your time *should* in theory, give you a much better product. Even if they've had to develop new tools to deal with the stuff they've had to make, the end result is visually great.

Begs a question on why can't others deliver a similar standard just generally!

42. Ben_Broomfield

Ben_Broomfield Well-Known Member

Shame it's been postponed! Skyhook obviously want to polish the kinks!

Was looking forward to it, even though it's not my kind of country interest!

43. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Sad that it has been postpond but it's for the better as they found things they would like to fix before showing us.

• Like Like x 2
  44. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

It's possible that they have read some of the comments about the locomotives, specifically the AC4400, here on the forums.

45. Challenger3985

Don't think so. While there are many errors on the AC44 (and some on the SD40), it may be part of the "Major Changes" that there not gonna work on.

46. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Agreed. The selection of minor display issues would suggest some kinks have been found - like a bit of odd lighting, a missing texture etc. What I think it does not mean is that any design changes are still taking place such as altering the chosen design of the liveries etc.

47. Challenger3985

True. But with the routes release date near the edge (within a week or 2 is my guess), I don't think Skyhook would have time to make tweaks and/or fixes to the current locos or such before being packed up and shipped out to digital stores on day 1. Especially with people living in the Eastern Hemisphere. (and sorry in advance if I misunderstand that you were saying)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  48. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

Forum all the time: Omg the route has inaccuracies postpone it or noone will buy!!!1!1!!
    Forum if things get postponed: *surprised Pikachu face*

(I know it isnt really like that, but i felt remembered to all those therads screaming to postpone the release which have existed for any route since TSW2)

I wondered anyway why it should came so close after GCC, normally theres a good 3-4 Werk break between route releases, even with 3rd Party ones.

49. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

This actually surprised me as well. I was already surprised that we saw different AC44 liveries in the screenshots as those are usually locked in when we start getting articles. Lots of surprises with Cane Creek :)

50. Challenger3985

Can't argue with that. They really did make some improvements on the locos between the 2 articles. But now, not sure how much has been improved between the last article and the canceled stream. Hopefully, the next preview stream might show us the answers on how they would look for sure (but I'm not gonna be expecting much on the locos for now).

• Like Like x 1