PC Gcc - Vms Signals Not Utilising Double Yellow Aspects

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ben_Broomfield, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Ben_Broomfield

Ben_Broomfield Well-Known Member

Don’t know if anyone has noticed but there is a few 4 aspect VMS Signals in GCC but they are not used to their full potential.

So far I’ve managed to only see these signals display single yellows (VMS 4 aspect signals); with a pattern occurring where the signals show two single yellows on approach to a red signal - one of those *should* be a double yellow aspect.

Thoughts?

2. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

What specific signals are you referring to? There’s quite a mix of 4 aspect, 3 aspect and 2 aspect signalling and with that, a lot of transitions between the three.

Also, how do you know what the next signal are showing? Are you checking on the map to see what the next signals are at that moment in time. Or are you just driving along and noting what signals you are seeing? If the latter, it could be that you go past a single yellow and whilst the next signal is red at that particular moment, it steps up to a single yellow as you approach it because the next section becomes clear.

3. Ben_Broomfield

Signals GC 5099 & GB 5101 are one of the main ones that continuously do this; along with a few other VMS 4 aspect signals of which i dont know the signal ID numbers.

I highly doubt it's the red signal stepping up, mainly becouse the signal GB 5101 is protecting, only seems to step up aspect when you stop at the station & release doors. Hence why on approach i seem to be getting two sets of single yellow aspects, instead of a double yellow followed by a single yellow; which is why i doubt the 4 aspect VMS signals have been setup correctly to accommodate a double yellow.

4. Olaf the Snowman

That’s an interesting one. As suspected, there is a mixture and a transition of type of signalling.

GC5099: 4 aspect stop signal (with the previous signals being 3 aspect)
    GB5101: Distant signal which can also act as an outer distant. It cannot show red.
    GB5099: 4 aspect stop signal

I strongly suspect you’re right. GC5099 acts as an outer distant signal for GB5099. You shouldn’t even be able to get a single yellow at GC5099. It looks like the way DTG have programmed it is that GB5101 mimics GB5099 thus rendering the distant signal useless in game.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ben_Broomfield

Thoughts exactly.
    Atleast im not going mad then aha!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Olaf the Snowman

Aha, I’ve figured it out. Yes you’re correct and what I said above is also correct. As there is a transition from 3 to 4 aspect signalling, there is an issue because if the second 4 aspect signal is at danger (as is the case here), the first 4 aspect signal will be showing a single yellow. But the last 3 aspect signal cannot show 2 yellows which is the issue (it would be showing green) so you would go straight from a green to a single yellow. So what they do to combat this is put a distant between the 1st and 2nd 4 aspect signals in order for the driver to get a proper sequence down to the red. I’ve drew a couple of diagrams to help explain it if you’re interested in understanding how it works.
    FB4A66A7-AC68-4FD7-8A57-18FDDE266D9C.png

BA940A18-3564-4367-ACB3-5ACF00492DC4.png

Here is the map of the area in question:

8E3F8471-CE68-46BC-8553-56B5231648D1.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Ben_Broomfield

Fabulous You should start to take up art lessons sketches like that ;)

I get you - seems to be no proper sequence to caution you onto that red, so is a little odd.

Thanks for your detective work bud!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Olaf the Snowman

:)
    5129D8A0-0626-4D7C-B2B6-8888240A97DE.jpeg

Just to summarise if the above is confusing, as Ben_Broomfield has said, the signalling isn’t correct. GC5099 should be two yellows. In fact, GC5099 can’t even show a single yellow. I suspect DTG haven’t understood how the distant signal works which is why they’ve just made it mimic GC5099.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Ben_Broomfield

Another Picasso right there!

Again, definitely something off with the signalling in some areas.

• Like Like x 1
  10. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Even I understood the problem and the explaination for it now, thanks you two :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ben_Broomfield

All down to the picturesque & accurate Picasso drawing, me thinks… *wink*

• Like Like x 1
  12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I thought these were LEDs, which can display any color with the same light?

13. Ben_Broomfield

They are!

If your on about the illustrations, just supposed to represent the different aspect types (3 or 4 aspect signals) even though the section can represent these with a single or dual colour light aspect array.

• Like Like x 1