Luebeck Harbor Yard Broken?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeff.engle, Jun 17, 2021.

1. jeff.engle

jeff.engle Active Member

I started off creating a free roam scenario that works. From scratch I created a standard scenario to duplicate that so I could have some instructions for my grandson.

I have been working for several days on a simple freight scenario using Leubeck Harbor Yard sidings using starting sidings of Luebeck Harbour Siding 85 in the northern set of sidings and Luebeck Harbour Sidings 74 and 75 for the original wagon placements. Finally I was able to use the Marshall commands to correctly sequence the wagons per drop-off points by marshalling all the wagons onto Siding 73. Now I am trying to get out of the yard, but no matter what I do, the switch heading onto Luebeck Harbour Track 72 (that I need to get to in order to leave the yard) is not switchable. My next command to drop off at Bad Oldesoe shows valid, but no way to get there. I also tried to marshall to Luebeck Harbor Track 102 and the same results - it won't go there.

I tried to use the marshall command to Luebeck Platform 9 (which would be on the way out) and it shows valid in the time table, but when I try to load the scenario I am told it is an invalid destination. So I tried marshalling to Luebeck Hbf Track 10 and the time table shows it as invalid (see pictures).

Without trying 1001 different paths, is there a way to understand what Dovetail believes is a valid path? They wouldn't create a yard you can't get out of would they?

Is there a legend for the different color tracks besides yellow for siding, Blue for current selected path, green for platform? What's Orange for? How do I know if a section of track is electrified? And back to my question from a few days ago is there a way to override scenario switches (or lack thereof)? And...

Scenario Editor: What is the difference between the RED symbols in the yards Oval with what looks like a stand laying down and the yellow circles?

BTW, when I look at the Sparks Early Morning Switching Workshop Scenario (Donner Pass) yard for example - every switch is switchable in the yard. What am I missing?

Thanks for any assistance

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

"How do you know if a section is electrified? "
    Normally you can see overhead wires or third rail depending on the route.

"Scenario Editor: What is the difference between the RED symbols in the yards Oval with what looks like a stand laying down and the yellow circles?"
    Those with a Number? - It is a Signal
    post a picture - it will be easier to tell

Surprised you are using a 125mph/200kph Electric loco to Shunt a freight yard?
    Try the DB 218 or 261 which come with the route - more suitable and no problem with electrics

Not every track in every siding is switchable by the driver. - It depends how it should be in real life
    If you are expected to change the points yourself the scenario instructions show that
    In the sidings on most German route the sidings are controlled from a tower who gives instructions to the driver.

Peter

3. jeff.engle

jeff.engle Active Member

Scenario Editor: What is the difference between the RED symbols in the yards Oval with what looks like a stand laying down and the yellow circles?"
    Those with a Number? - It is a Signal
    post a picture - it will be easier to tell

Yes, I see that now! Thanks Peter. {Jengle}

Surprised you are using a 125mph/200kph Electric loco to Shunt a freight yard?
    Try the DB 218 or 261 which come with the route - more suitable and no problem with electrics

- Figured it would be simpler to have one engine do everything - gather the wagons and take them to the destination if I'm trying to do one scenario for the exercise. Will the engine make a differece? { Jengle }

Not every track in every siding is switchable by the driver. - It depends how it should be in real life
    If you are expected to change the points yourself the scenario instructions show that
    In the sidings on most German route the sidings are controlled from a tower who gives instructions to the driver.

- This is the heart of my question!!!
    Why would a yard be designed that you cannot get wagons out of? AND, how can a scenery designer understand the rules that Dovetail has implemented? The lower freight yard looks the same way - with only the eastern sidings switchable. When I look at the 2D yard map for Luebeck in the edit route tool and compare that for example to the Donner Pass Roseville yard I don't see a difference in the switch icons (yellow dot with white circle), so where are these "real life" instructions that would make a switch unswitchable in Standard Scenario mode? I know there are switches in Free Roam, but in Standard they are greyed out in 3D (there is a switch icon that pops up, but it does not do anything) and there is nothing in the 2D map.

Thank you 749006

Attached Files:

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

In TS20xx there are two types of Point - Automatic and Manual
    With Automatic points the train is shown to go to a siding and the points are set for the run.
    Manual Points have to be changed by the user - Most US yards are like this but Most European yards are not.
    When you play a Free Roam Every point is changeable as the system does not know where you are going

Look at the depot sidings south of Lubeck station - each road has a departure signal and the points are worked by the system when a train is shown to go in or out. they need these signal so the movements are regulated between other services

I have a number of German routes and when the driver shunts from one siding to another he does not have to change the points as they are all worked by the AI system

Peter

5. jeff.engle

jeff.engle Active Member

"Not Silent" user has the only yard movement that is similar to what I am trying to accomplish. I am totally confused - this scenario uses no coupling commands or marshalling to move the engine from one the yards I'm having problems with and the workshop where from this point he can exit the Harbour Yards. He uses Waypoint at Stop At Destination instructions. It's also a Diesel, but should that make any difference? Also, he is using the Hamburg to Luebeck DLC and I'm using Hamburg to Lubeck and Hannover DLC.

I'm going to try this DLC w/Diesel and see if it makes a difference

Thanks so much for your help 749006 Peter.

Attached Files:

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

7. jeff.engle

jeff.engle Active Member

Thanks 749006 Peter! Spacebar, Okay, but sure wish that is available in the 2D map directly when doing scenario design. In the future if I'm using an electric loco I'll have to at least check the sidings. Got the Lübeck - Hamburg run done using Hamburg to Lübeck DLC (so it's not going to Veddel as originally planned). Now that I have something that works, I'll try it out on the Hamburg to Lubeck and Hannover DLC so I can edn in Veddel.

Seems strange, but I had to define Waypoints/Stop At instructions outside of the yard to get the AI portion to work.

upload_2021-6-18_18-28-27.png

Thanks again for all your help!
    Jengle

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Bad Oldesloe Track 39 and Hamburg-Wandsbek Siding 1 look strange as you have a Consist marker but you don't stop to do anything - would a go via marker have been better?

Having to put in Go Via for AI is necessary when the tracks are reversible to make sure it uses the correct one.

Glad you got it working

Peter