What Is The Difference Between Tsw2 Vs Tsw2020 And Ts2021

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by buzzzlight, Jun 17, 2021.

1. buzzzlight

buzzzlight Member

What is the difference between TSW2 Vs TSW2020. Also how are these different from TS2021.
    any info is appreciated.
    Nvm. I read other posts. - Dont know how to delete this

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

A). Train Simulator, of which the most recent iteration is TS2021, is a rather elderly program which arose out of old Microsoft Train Simulator, for PC only. Its advantages are that since it doesn't put nearly as much strain on hardware with its limited old-school graphics and CLUT-based physics, routes tend to be longer and include more rolling stock. Also, since it has been around for a decade, there is a very, very large base of DLC, both by DTG and by third parties; and it comes with a route editor for those who like to homebrew.

B) Train Sim World is intended as the 'next generation' of train sims, for both PC and game consoles. It is based in Unreal Engine 4 for improved graphics (although that's a very touchy subject on here), and uses Simugraph process-based continually-calculated physics. It first appeared in 2017 in beta "CSX Heavy Haul," and has been updated twice, first the TSW2020 game/route bundle, and then last year with TSW2 (which is not compatible with 2020; however, if you own any 2020 DLC you are entitled to download the TSW2 version free, for the same platform). A few players continue to play 2020, even though it is no longer supported, either because (1) the Northeast Corridor New York route was not ported to TSW2, or (2) several locos' sounds got seriously borked in the conversion process and some players prefer to drive them with non-nasty audio. However, all new releases are for TSW2 only.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. buzzzlight

buzzzlight Member

Gotcha. basically TS2020 is last year initial ish version of TSW2 but the porting is not done right. So the newer one is TSW2
    thank you

4. buzzzlight

buzzzlight Member

solicitr one last - is train sim world even older than TSW 2020 and TSW 2?

5. solicitr

Train Sim World was launched officially in 2018. I think, but cannot swear, that the core game was the same as that included the following year in the TSW2020 bundle.

6. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

TS2021 is unrelated to TSW or MTS.

In my view TS2021 is currently better in almost every respect than TSW. The two most obvious advantages are that it has steam locos and is a user adaptable system, with a bundled editor and the ability to freely share user content. It is PC only.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. buzzzlight

buzzzlight Member

thank you

8. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Another couple of advantages for TS:

It can be very cheap to get into because you can find Steam keys for older editions on other sites. Prices change all the time but you know how to use Google right? A quick search just now shows TS2016 going for £2.50. An older edition might come with a set of routes that you would find more interesting than the current offering (not difficult IMHO).

Like any other program the better your hardware the better it will run of course but, because of its venerability, it can run quite well on lower spec' PCs.

9. buzzzlight

buzzzlight Member

i know I keep on asking same questions lol - so if I buy
    Buy Train Sim World®: Northeast Corridor New York that is on sale - it will work on with TSW or TSW2020.
    and doesnt with TSW2 (latest) due to what you guys said above (not compatible)

• Like Like x 1
  10. solicitr

Correct. NEC New York and its associated locos were built using a programming approach that turned out to be a dead end, and not portable to the TSW2 engine.

(Edit: don't confuse NEC New York with the forthcoming NEC Boston).

11. buzzzlight

buzzzlight Member

12. aglomarsale

aglomarsale Well-Known Member

I am sorry, there was a misunderstanding. Please ignore this post, I'm sorry!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  13. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

Why, what policy has it broken?

14. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

Is raildriver supported on train sim world 1/2020?

15. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Nope, its only in Beta with the current TSW2 version.

• Helpful Helpful x 2