Is It Possible To Join/split Trains In The Scenario Editor?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fdor_20, Jun 18, 2021.

1. fdor_20

fdor_20 Member

Is it possible to join/split trains in the scenario editor?
    I want to be driving a service into the station where an ai train has allready driven in before me then i couple and switch to the front cab and then continue the service.
    Anybody know if this is possible?

2. trainbraint

trainbraint Well-Known Member

Not sure if it is possible with an AI train, but this has definitely worked for me before with a static train, and I see no reason why it shouldn't work with an AI train.

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Yep, you put it in as a static consist and then use the "join to front" command
    What you cannot do that I know of is have an AI train drive in and then you swan off with it in front, let alone have it join with you from behind

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

When you place the static consist don't place a Driver Icon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fdor_20

fdor_20 Member

So I can with a static consist but I cannot with a train that has allready has had instructions

6. trainbraint

That’s right, I’m afraid

• Like Like x 1
  7. fdor_20

fdor_20 Member

But then is it possible to do it in reverse? Where I drive into a station I split and then the first half drives of as ai and then I drive of

8. trainbraint

I would imagine that wouldn’t be possible, since as the AI train would start off as part of your train, you wouldn’t be able to give it separate instructions.

9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The bits you leave behind become "null" so they cannot drive off and there is no mechanism by which to give them instructions

10. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

An AI train cannot, under any circumstances, couple to something that's moved, but you can (because you're driving by sight and can see where the train is, not waht the AI does which is drive to a specific point only paying attention to signals, speed limits, and instructions).

That should be possible. You can tell an AI driver to drive to the station you want to couple up at (make sure this is the AI's final instruction), then the player can couple up using "add to front" or "add to back". The game will then just delete the AI driver. However, it doesn't work the other way round, ie you can't drop off a part of your train and tell it to go somewhere else. However, unless you want cautionary signals on the way to the station, or for some reason need to use the platform for other AI trains, just put a static consist into the platform.

It is theoretically possible to have an AI couple to the player, but that relies on the player not moving the train at all, and even then it can be risky (must admit I've not tried it)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  11. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

I don't think you can couple up to an AI player, or at least not programme it, because the signaller will never give you permission to enter the same section as an AI train. Of course you can probably do it in a standard and not a career scenario as you can SPAD without entering the game.

If you want to do a join a train, then just have a static train in the platform and just pretend it drove there. When splitting, have it so that your unit is the front unit (if in real life your unit would be at the rear, just invent an in-game reason why you had to switch around) and then just uncouple the rear unit(s) at the relevant station.