Just Trains Southwestern Expressway - Reading Route.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trev123, May 25, 2021.

1. trev123

trev123 Active Member

This is a new version of the Bristol Exeter Route and for those who own it, gets a discount. " The full price of the Southwestern Expressways - Reading route is £29.99 / €37.95 / $44.99 but if you use the discount code below in the Just Trains shopping cart you'll save £8 / €10 / $12 and pay just £21.99 / €27.95 / $32.99.
    For obvious reasons, I'm not posting the discount code. :)

2. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Where did you get this info? I’ve just been on the Just Trains site and it just says “Coming Soon” with no price or release date.

And why, in one sentence tell us you are giving us a discount code and in the next say you aren’t?

3. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  4. junior hornet

OK Thanks. I didn’t see the stream. Didn’t know there was one TBH. I had clicked on the “Email me when available” button on the “In Development” page on JT but haven’t had an email.

I’m looking forward to the route so I’m glad it’s imminent.

5. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

Here's the stream

• Like Like x 1
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The discount code is for those people who have already purchased the old version

7. trev123

trev123 Active Member

I'm not the one giving a discount but Just Trains.

8. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Are you sure someone didn't accidentally swipe the code when you originally posted it? I mean, I have my own, I was smart and bought at JT myself.

Discount seems small, though. I'd end up paying, I think, slightly more than I did for the Suburban Glasgow route, and that had a 20% discount at launch. Given I also own Bristol to Exeter (but through Steam; no way on Earth I was paying $32.99 USD for it), I think they could do just a LITTLE better. Note that retail route prices on Steam are normally $45.49 CAD at most, and the NORMAL price of this is $44.99 in USD. Even Midland's Sheffield to Derby (36 miles and actually more expensive that the Leicester extension, at 40 miles) sells at $37.99 USD. That said, I can't complain about a 220 mile route network, as it's being touted. So from that angle, it's a pretty good deal as DTG now sells a 22 mile route for $33.99 CAD. And the Suburban Glasgow comparison is 45 miles. So I guess I can't really complain TOO much. LMAO

Their main challenge ATM? Convincing people who got the OnTrack Simulation version to Reading to move over to theirs.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  9. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Yes, I have stopped buying directly from JT as the currency conversion from US $ to NZ $ is far too great and yes I can purchase JT DLC from Steam in NZ $ saving me between 20 and 30 $ NZ. I mentioned this to JT once but by their response, I don't think that they understood my question. I didn't bother to push the issue any further. They really want to update their page so that it can show prices in most denominations. Lots of overseas sites that I purchase from do.

10. Cyclone

You'll find none of the TS sites do. Heck, want a German route? Or a French creation? Prepare to deal with their own local currencies (though Germany uses the Euro).

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

As does France and most of the countries in the EU

12. trev123

trev123 Active Member

The thing with JT is they force you to buy in US $ if you don't live in the UK or Europe. I prefer to buy in UK currency or Euros as the currency conversion rate is a lot better.

13. Cyclone

I have actually noticed this. There is a bit of a difference in British Pounds and either of the other currencies. But instead of getting the better pricing, we get pushed into USD. I think there are banking-related reasons for this. And I'm not cool with that.

Let's look at the new Reading SWE. £29.99 / €37.95 / $44.99 are the prices. So let's use CAD as our basis for conversion here, since I'm there and it's convenient.

£29.99 = $51.38 CAD
    €37.95= $55.87 CAD
    $44.99 = $54.39 CAD

These prices also do not include "Paypal tax". Add another $2-3 easily. Maybe more, not sure.

The rewards do NOT cover the difference. And the amount of extra money spent can probably now buy another DLC or two on their own. So yes, this is a good question. We'll ignore that I got everything at sale prices; the point still stands that my cost is higher than a standard Brit. An Aussie's cost is also higher than a standard Brit. Let's not even discuss an Argentinian or a Russian; it's a lesson in astronomy.

Actually, I saw a French TS site using their own local currency. Or maybe that was another country.

14. trev123

trev123 Active Member

$44.99 USD to NZD = $62.05

15. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Looks like a fantastic route. Great value considering you're getting essentially multiple routes combined together as one. I just hope JT are considering the same treatment for some of their other routes. Chiltern Mainline is begging for an update!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cyclone

I don't own that one at present. I was once advised not to bother with it because it sucks. Which is basically what some tell me about Western Mainlines at the moment. I was actually looking at the map beyond Swansea last nite and just thought, what if they did their own Cardiff to Johnston with Milford Haven with Fishguard Harbour? Also throw in Pembroke Dock, the very easy detour to Carmarthen, and part of the line from Llandello Junction to Craven Arms (not the entire thing, too long now) in order to facilitate a freight train I've seen from east of Cardiff to Trostre Steel Works; the train exits the mainline before Swansea and takes Mortals Junction to get to the facility visible from the mainline.

• Like Like x 2
  17. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

They aren't the best routes. It depends on how fussy you are about the scenery as there's quite a few generic kuju assets and sparsely placed scenery in some areas. But if JT could update some of their older routes to the same spec as this new release it would be really great and probably mean they get used more often for scenarios and such.

18. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I believe the release was put back from tye end of last week until 1st June which is a shame for those who wanted to play it over the bank holiday.

What time will it be released tomorrow? 6pm? Anyone ITK

19. junior hornet

Hopefully it will be released earlier as it is sold direct from JT rather than Steam.

20. Cyclone

I can confirm June 1. So tomorrow.

21. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

What time will it be released tomorrow? 6pm? Anyone ITK

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  22. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I believe it was going to be released but the staff were dragged around B&Q :D

23. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

This route is now available for purchase.

24. junior hornet

Has anybody tried it yet? I’m holding off till tomorrow when it is a new credit card month.

25. peterchambers

peterchambers Active Member

I have Bristol to Exeter purchased from JT direct in 2010 but there is no sign of a discount on this new route.

26. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

Email JT support, they are excellent on stuff like that.

27. peterchambers

peterchambers Active Member

Thank you.

28. Cyclone

You would have had an e-mail with a discount code. If you believe there is an error, reach out to Support. I believe that route should be included.

I just came downstairs, so clearly no. LOL I am trying to convince myself I need to spend another $40 right now. I don't know if the discount is high enough, though the "it's over 200 miles" and "it's new, Youtube it" elements are bashing me over the head right now. That and I own almost all of the needed stock to run scenarios; only missing some Cargowaggons or somesuch.

29. junior hornet

Ah. So you’re obviously either somewhere in North America or a student in the UK. :love:

I haven’t got the original and the Reading - Theale section goes near my old house and is by an old walking route for me so it’s a no brainer for me. Trouble is, I’ll need to find a few hours to drive from Reading to Exeter.

30. trev123

trev123 Active Member

With the discount, the route would cost me $32.99 US converted to NZ $45.49 and if the route came to Steam it would most likely be $49.99 NZ so not really much of a discount.

31. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I'm a simple man, I see mention of South West Wales and or the Heart of Wales or Valleys Line and I give a like..

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Cyclone

Did you notice PTGRail did a video for the Heart of Wales line from Shrewsbury to Swansea? Though he used two scenarios, not Danny's merge.

*patiently waits for the like for mentioning Heart of Wales line*

33. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I did not realise the Heart of Wales Line which runs from Shrewsbury to Swansea via Llandrindod existed in TS2021?
    What is the link please?

34. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

That's the Welsh Marches line not the Heart of Wales line bud

• Like Like x 2
  35. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Anyone bought JTs new South Western Expressways to Reading? I have downloaded and installed and downloaded again and reinstalled many times. Cleared cache and verified files each time and find the sky in the route is black! Everything else is ok colour wise! Awaiting for support to respond. Every other route is fine, is anybody else experiencing this problem or know of a solution please. I have all the dependencies required and this hasn’t happened before. Any help would be really appreciated. Also there should be 19 scenarios, I have 11.

36. trev123

trev123 Active Member

I have just purchased this and installed it and everything is fine. I have 2 scenarios for the route in my career scenarios and the rest under standard. There are 22 standard scenarios. I tried one scenario and the graphics were fine. Do you use Armstrong Powerhouse Sky and Weather program as it has been updated for this route? How did you install it? You have to unzip the download with either 7zip as explained on the downloads page or Winzip. After you have extracted it onto your Hardrive SSD open the folder and use the setup exe to install it. My downloaded file is 3.30 GB after extracting with Winzip.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  37. Cyclone

Yes...I thought that the stretch was the Heart of Wales. Just looked it up now and see it's actually the line from Craven Arms - and ironically, I looked at that line just yesterday and thought "That would be nice to have, but we need to go to Milford Haven first before connecting to Shrewsbury".

So yes, if JT does a re-sceneing (if that's not a word, it is now) of Western Mainlines in the Cardiff to Bristol area and adds to Milford Haven, they could do Heart of Wales and the local connector from Baglan as an extra extension. I think that would make some people very happy. Some good freight can move along that corridor.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  38. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Thank you Trev123. Reinstalled AP Sky and it’s fine. Cheers nwp1

I still only have 15 scenarios which 11 are in free roam. Have tried many times to install by deleting anti virus and using administrator and cleared cache and verified files and still the same and black sky. Only reinstalling APs sky fixes the black sky but still only 15 scenarios remain. This route unlike any other is not obviously compatible with my computer which I only use for TS and TSW. However I must add that Mark in JTs customer support as well as Tom, have been marvellous with their help and suggestions. As good as DTG support.

Tried unticking and re-ticking Academy, Euro Assets and US assets as suggested and now cannot play anything at all. I don’t recommend others do this. Has taken a long time to get the game up and running again.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  39. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Feel a bit of an idiot. I have been playing South Western Expressways to Reading, not Just Trains SWEXR. No wonder I had less scenarios. Had obtained this route from Vulcan Productions as a freebie and had forgotten about it. All the time I spent re downloading the JT release it was hiding alphabetically under Just Trains not under South!!!

40. Cyclone

Haha, yeah, there was the freeware extension to Reading which at this point is probably going to be absolutely pointless to acquire. Even the Electric version will have to be redone around the new route since the old is no longer available outside of Steam, and I'm not sure if that one ever will work with the mod or not (or if it's just the asset pack referenced).

41. frank351981

frank351981 Active Member

Has the guy who build the freeware version anything to do with the Just Trains version? Was he somehow involved? When not: Bad action from Just Trains. The guy has done a nice job with the Extension to Reading

42. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

An excellent route, worth it imo.

43. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Am really enjoying this route and Tom’s stream on Train Sim TV last night was fantastic. If you haven’t purchased it yet, get it now. Still a discount for those that purchased the previous version or Bristol to Exeter.

44. steve.cunningham1980

steve.cunningham1980 Member

It's the first Just Trains route I've bought for a long time and I'm really impressed with it so far. For one thing it's nice to finally see a proper model of Reading station in its modern pre-electrification form, rather than the Frankenstein's monster version from the original GWML route.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Cyclone

Was it alive? The monster, that is.

46. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

47. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1