Route Köln-koblenz

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by bahnerbw#7017, Jun 18, 2021.

1. bahnerbw#7017

bahnerbw#7017 New Member

Hello everyone,

i see a route in the game Train Simulator 2021 of Köln to Koblenz. Its a fantastic route. It is possible to make the Route in Train Sim World 2 ? I am looking forward to your answers. Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  2. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

I don't know much about TS 2021, so first of all, is this about the West or East Rhine Railway?
    Then again, the distance between Köln and Koblenz would be too much on both, meaning it would take too much time to develop this in TSW.
    I don't want to get into details, but that's it basically.

Of course you may still post this in the suggestions sub-forum.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Why put this in the PlayStation forums ?

4. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Don’t be too impatient with someone who is fairly new to the forum. It’s already been suggested that the OP posts in the suggestions forum.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It is, however, an excellent suggestion, although the full distance is too long for TSW and perhaps Koblenz-Bingen would be more realistic.
    And definitely the left bank line.

6. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

I don't think the route is necessarily too long. At 93 km it is the same length as LGV Marseille - Avignon and shorter than Clinchfield (103 km).

Also: DTG has already created it in TS20XX so that would make it a little easier to develop. Of course, previously DTG has had a tendency to make the TSW versions of route they previously developed in TS20XX shorter, like RSN (only Hagen to Finnentrop vs Hagen-Siegen) and GWML (London Paddington to Reading vs Paddington-Didcot Parkway and Oxford in TS20XX).

However, since about 2019 DTG started making TSW2 routes of the same length as the TS20XX versions, like HMA, SEHS, Peninsula Corridor, HHL and soon London-Brighton and Riesa-Dresden, so I think it's not too outlandish to hope for a full length Köln-Koblenz.

• Like Like x 2
  7. solicitr

While that's true, LGV is largely empty countryside (and has drawn complaints over how even that was rendered), and Clinchfield is mostly forest. The central Rhein valley, on the other hand, is heavily developed, buildings as far as one can see- including the many castles, intact and ruined, which would have to be bespoke assets. It's the density of non-repeating scenery as much as length which consumes the man-hours.

8. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Sorry , I didn’t see that the user was a new member

9. cwf.green

Firstly, I think you are slightly exaggerating the density of the Rhein Valley vs LGV. A lot of LGV is country side yes, but there is also a large Terminus/City at one end and a lot of Linke rheinstrecke is following Rhein river which means you only need distant low poly assets on the right bank and the hills cut off the view distance to the West.

Furthermore, area is the important property (over length) determining how many assets need to be created and placed in the route and the detailed area increases much more for routes with branch lines compared to linear routes (since you need to develop a larger detailed area around the junctions). This is the case for Riesa-Dresden, and as far as I know the total length of this route is something like 60+ miles so you literally have a route that is of the same (or larger) complexity as Köln-Koblenz being made right now, bundled with 2 other large routes.

EDIT: Brighton mainline is only 10km short of the length of Köln-Koblenz and imho it is a more complex route with the insane track density around Clapham Jn/SWML crossover, not to mention that you literally start in the middle of London.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  10. solicitr

All valid points. If DTG reckons that the full route can be done, I would be absolutely thrilled! The linke Rheinstrecke is probably my favorite stretch of track in the world.

It's certainly the case, though, that the section south to Bingen is much more interesting, and I would be willing to trade the rather dull Bonn area for hyperdetailing the Rhine Gorge.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

That's "almost" true, but in fact it's 50,xx km (not 60+ miles!) between Riesa and Dresden-Neustadt. Even to Dresden Hbf it would be less than 5 km more.

12. cwf.green

Well if this link is correct it is not just "almost true" ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. cwf.green

I agree with you that the Mainz-Koblenz section is more interesting and scenic (especially the picturesque section Bingen-Koblenz as you said) but I think only making that part of the route would reduce the diversity of services run on the route from ICE, IC,RE,RB,freight to RB,RE and "point A to point B" IC trains (Bingen-Koblenz or Boppard-Koblenz) and ofc freight (but shorter journeys).

For IC lovers like myself, the northern part (Koblenz - Köln) has more stops. Saying that, any section of West Rhine Railway would intrigue me.:)

14. solicitr

ICE services between Koln and Mainz now run by way of Frankfurt anyway.

15. cwf.green

Hmm, I'm confused. Do you mean that they go Mainz-Frankfurt-(?)-Koblenz?

I was only aware of the Schnellfarhstrecke Köln-Frankfurt which bypasses Mainz and Koblenz.

Check out this service. It seems to go via the West Rhine Railway. Though it is an ICE-T so not quite the ICE 3 I had in mind (I think the only ICE services on the route are ICE-T so DTG would have to develop that train to realistically run ICE on the route.)